Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Marvel, and so on

While backing up my comic book collection, it has occured to me that I have not read much of Marvel's output.

Some of those that I read and liked are The Ultimates, Daredevil - Born Again and Punisher - Born.

Any suggestions to what else I might like?

Alias is pretty decent. There's a couple of collections of some comic from the '70s about a duck as well: I'm told that one isn't bad...

Everything that's been suggested so far is good. Also, the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four (although it's possibly worth skipping the first couple of dozen issues or so, at least at first - a lot of the very early stuff, much as I love it, is badly dated), and the Lee/Ditko/Romita Amazing Spider-Man. Waid/Wieringo's Fantastic Four run is also a lot of fun, although it loses its way slightly towards the end. Ed Brubaker's current run on Captain America is amazing, as are both Frank Miller and Brian Bendis' Daredevil runs (the Bendis run goes completely to cock eventually, but the early-to-middle issues are brilliant, some of his best work). Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur is Made Of Joy. Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy is fun, and his New X-Men, while enormously, catastrophically flawed, is also enormously worth reading.

Yeah, the classic Amazing Spider-Man and Morrison New X-Men are great stuff(s). And everyone raves about Christopher Priest's Black Panther — must track that down myself. I wonder what Christopher Priest's written lately?

Nothing, as far as I know.

He floundered around a bit after Black Panther and then disappeared.

His Black Panther was great, it's a shame Marvel didn't bother to Trade anymore of it.

I actually read NextWave and am in the process of reading Punisher MAX.

What about Wolverine: Origin, Origins, and Enemy of the State, any good?

Your obedience pleases us.

Check out Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears by Garth Ennis and Clayton Crain. It's an excellent GR tale set against the backdrop of the old west (Garf does Westerns really well) and fully painted by Clayton Crain.

NextWave is great. very funny and Punisher MAX is always good.

I recommend: Incredible Hercules, Invincibile Iron Man, Criminal, Captain Britain & MI-13, Immortal Iron Fist (only the Brubaker/Fraction run 1-16), Inhumans (the Jenkins mini), Wisdom (Paul Cornell mini), and Moon Knight.

Criminal

I'm a fucking moron. One of my favourite comics of the last few years, and I completely forgot about it. Probably because it doesn't feel remotely 'Marvel' in tone or content, but even so...yes. Criminal is a must-read.

Criminal

I'm a fucking moron. One of my favourite comics of the last few years, and I completely forgot about it. Probably because it doesn't feel remotely 'Marvel' in tone or content, but even so...yes. Criminal is a must-read.

I just started reading it with the first 3 issues of the new series and it is brilliant. Brubaker and Phillips can not be beat when it comes to crime/noir stories. I absolutely must pick up the trades.

Although from here on I will pick it up monthly as there are some great articles, usually regarding crime fiction, in the back. These articles are found only in the monthlies and will never be printed in trades. I like that idea, it makes for a great incentive.

Criminal

I've been reading Criminal for some time now, love it. I just didn't mention it (or Powers) because I meant the mainstream Marvel, not the imprints.

Avoid!

Wolverine: Origin is only of worth for long-time X-fans who waited over 20 years to discover the truth about Logan. Then, we discovered that we waited over 20 years because Logan's origin was boring. It looked and read pretty at least, for something with nothing actually happening.

Wolverine: Origins is the one to avoid at all costs! Using convoluted continuity that was meant to be solved years ago in order to create even more convoluted, and FAR less interesting, new continuity loopholes....It's just unbelievably bad.

Enemy of the State is arguable. I thought it was mindless crap, but it was at least meant to be mindless. Some may feel that "crap" is really "fun".

If you really want to read Wolverine stories, check out Essential Wolverine vol. 1 or the original Chris Claremont mini-series (with Frank Miller on art). That was about as good as Wolverine ever got.

I thoroughly enjoyed Enemy Of The State, but it'd be a stretch to claim that it was actually particularly good as anything but a mindless series of action setpieces. One of the more consistently entertaining things Millar has written at Marvel, though, and well worth a read, albeit mainly for some splendid action story-telling from Romita Jr.

Avoid!

Wolverine: Origin is only of worth for long-time X-fans who waited over 20 years to discover the truth about Logan. Then, we discovered that we waited over 20 years because Logan's origin was boring. It looked and read pretty at least, for something with nothing actually happening.

Wolverine: Origins is the one to avoid at all costs! Using convoluted continuity that was meant to be solved years ago in order to create even more convoluted, and FAR less interesting, new continuity loopholes....It's just unbelievably bad.

Enemy of the State is arguable. I thought it was mindless crap, but it was at least meant to be mindless. Some may feel that "crap" is really "fun".

If you really want to read Wolverine stories, check out Essential Wolverine vol. 1 or the original Chris Claremont mini-series (with Frank Miller on art). That was about as good as Wolverine ever got.

I liked Enemy of the State. :P

Most of the Peter David ones are all right. Just look for his stuff.

Brubaker's run on Daredevil is also pretty good. I don't remember what the collections/arcs are called so someone may have mentioned them already.

Who's Daredevil: Redemption by?

What are some good Hulk storylines?

Redemption was done by David Hine and Michael Gaydos

I really liked the whole Planet Hulk story. He is exiled to a far off planet, does a bunch of alien smashing, falls in love, and takes over.

Bru's DD trades are:

The Devil Inside and Out Vol. 1

Reprints #82-87

The Devil Inside and Out Vol. 2

Reprints #88-93

Hell To Pay Vol. 1

Reprints #94-99

Hell To Pay Vol. 2

Reprints #100-105