Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Marvel, and so on

Most of the Peter David ones are all right. Just look for his stuff.

Yes. That's the best of Hulk.

The earliest stories (which were the absolute best) are collected in the Hulk Visionaries: Peter David Trades, of which I believe there are 4 volumns.

I also just got ahold of a copy of Born Again(which is kinda pathetic,Im a huge DD fan,but only got a copy two weeks ago)and I am loving it.You should check out Man Without Fear,it's one of the best things Miller or Romita jr ever did,I rate it tied with Batman Year One as the best superhero origin ever put to paper.

Peter Davids old run of X-factor was great and just recently released in a set of "Visionaries" trade paper backs.More than a few folks on this site(chief among them district attorney Balthazar) say that his current X-factor book is pretty damn good as well.

All of this should be viewed throught the prizm of knowing that I loved the original Origin Mini series,I was apparently one of the few.

Fury was pretty good: some obvious Ennisisms, but a nice storyline and a fine ending. (I also really liked the way he wrote Fury, though I'm sure there's those who don't.)

Has anybody mentioned ye olde original Omega The Unknown yet?

I thought Fury was pretty bad, because it was pretty well "Ennis by the numbers", but I'll admit that I did enjoy the ending. It got better, but it was really quite awful in the beginning.

Omega the Unknown, on the other hand, I will always recommend.

Speaking of Punisher Max, what is Garf's Fury like?

The first one is crap but Peacemaker is really good. More of a WWII story really.

You should check out Man Without Fear,it's one of the best things Miller or Romita jr ever did,I rate it tied with Batman Year One as the best superhero origin ever put to paper.

Not so for me, Miller does a fine job with it, but Mazzuchelli's spartan art on Year 1(And Born Again) is simply untouchable.

Shockingly I'd forgotten about Man Without Fear in my Frank Miller rant in some other thread.

1).DKR (Unimaginatively I know, but it was being constructively refuted)

2)Born Again (Sublime)

3).Year 1

Man Without Fear title takes fouth spot, with either 8/10's of Elektra Assassin or Ronin in distant fifth.

Additionally I'd rate Supreme Power on the Max lable, just those first 18 issues mind.

Great Gary Frank artwork.

Only 8/10s of Elektra: Assassin? The whole thing's wonderful.

Joe Kellys run on Deadpool.

The first few runs of Ennis Marvel Knights Punisher was good before he had Spider-man and DD team up.

Kelly's Deadpool has never been collected though. It might be getting collected soon, if they continue these Marvel Classic: Deadpool collections. I hope they do, as I really want to read Kelly's Deadpool, but back-issues are too much for what I'm willing to pay for a late-90s series. If so, Kelly's Deadpool will begin with Classic Deadpool vol. 2.

Elektra: Assassin is a really good call. That is truly wonderful. I'd rank it right at the top of Miller's work.

Has anyone recommended Peter Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix yet? That deserves a mention.

The Thing: Freakshow by Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins. A fun mini-series about Ben Grimm traveling around America where he encounters circus freaks, Skrulls, Kree and others.

Only 8/10s of Elektra: Assassin? The whole thing's wonderful.

Mark might back me up on this but personally as it progressed it just became more and more conventional and ultimately underwhelming.

Three or so issues in and I was shouting genius (the first time it's been a while), but those last issues and that ending killed the spark.

The beginning promised so much more.

It's still worth a look and a mention in this thread.

Hell I'm going to reread it.

Sorry for being late to the thread but can anyone give me a rough take on what "Criminal" is about?

Also is any of the Marvel MAX stuff worth checking out (except for Punisher which I already know about?) or is it the typical Marvel stuff with superheros in garish costumes wrecking entire solar systems with only their thoughts?

No. It's usually more of lots of blood and guts and swearing and explicit sex.

Paul Cornell's Wisdom mini-series is a gem. Buy it!

Alias by Brian Bendis is wonderful. A superhero detective story casting familiar Marvel characters in a very different light. Not typical superheroics, at all.

The Hood by Brian Vaughn is worth a read. It's pretty close to a Vertigo-type of series. A small time criminal finds a mystic article and sets about climbing the gang-land ladder. It's sort of an inverse of the Peter Parker story.

Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck mini-series is always worth a read, if you enjoyed the original Howard the Duck series. It's not as good as the '70s series, but it's very much in the same vein. There's an issue that spoofs late-90s Vertigo.

Also, I'd recommend the Supreme Powers series by JMS, but that's superheroes with god-like powers. It's a more mature rendition of the usual superhero theme though. It's playing with themes and tropes of thinly veiled DCU characters in a "real world" setting. It's working with the Squadron Supreme series from the 1980s.

It's actually more than the one issue: while there is a whole twenty odd pages devoted to the Boarding House Of Mystery and its residents, there's also a (hilarious) piss take of Preacher providing the meat of the plot for the following two stories and a chunk of one of the earlier ones, as well.