pleecefanclub

Hellblazer after Jenkins

Jenkins's supporting cast were real.

This was a problem.

Take a look at Denise Mina's worst character.

See?

There's no place for real people in The Hellblazers.

I assume you're being ironic, but in that case I don't really get your point. I'm not big on the Jenkins era, but the fact that he tried to people the HB universe with real people wasn't a fault. Or are you saying that Jenkins' supporting cast WASN'T real?

I consider it an insult to the writer and to the fans that not only is NONE of Jenkins' run traded, but that they traded Milligan's stuff almost as soon as it came out AND never traded any of Jenkins. It's such a huge "Fuck you!" that seems unwarranted. It's a tall cool glass of lemonade with a turd in it. Did Jenkins give Berger a dirty sanchez or a donkey punch or a rusty venture or something? What's with the Jenkins hate over to Vertigo? It seems a bit severe.

I don't know why they never collected Jenkins, exactly.

But, the policies have changed between then and now. When Jenkins was writing, it wasn't established that all monthly comics were Traded.

Now, it's accepted that pretty much every monthly comic will be Traded after a story-arc.

I think when Jenkins was writing, the first Jamie Delano Trade was the only HB TPB available.

So, Milligan's are all Traded immediately, because it's the norm now. If Jenkins were writing the book today, it would be different.

Why they refuse to go back to Jenkins when they went back to finish Delano and Ennis isn't totally explained, although both Delano and Ennis' runs were much more popular.

I think when Jenkins was writing, the first Jamie Delano Trade was the only HB TPB available.

Dangerous Habots was available. But yeah, you are right. Trades weren't the norm at that time.

I consider it an insult to the writer and to the fans that not only is NONE of Jenkins' run traded, but that they traded Milligan's stuff almost as soon as it came out AND never traded any of Jenkins. It's such a huge "Fuck you!" that seems unwarranted. It's a tall cool glass of lemonade with a turd in it. Did Jenkins give Berger a dirty sanchez or a donkey punch or a rusty venture or something? What's with the Jenkins hate over to Vertigo? It seems a bit severe.

At the end of Jenkins run there was some kind of kerfuffle in the letters pages where readers thought he had been disrespected for some reason....oh it was cause the very last letter published in his final issue was from a guy saying how glad he was the run was over.

So yeah maybe there were some issues there. But then again maybe sales declined during Jenkins stint and that's why they haven't TPB'd them....

Sales did decline a lot between Ennis and Jenkins.

We speculated over and over that was the reason they never bothered, but as the years have passed, and we never even saw ONE attempt to reprint a Jenkins story, it looks more enigmatic (I guess).

It seems like Vertigo would have thrown some Jenkins story into the anthology-themed books, maybe. Or, at the very least, they could reprint Critical Mass (which was well received), and see if people have any interest, and then decide what to do after the sales of that book.

There's no reason to speculate that all these years later, there's not an audience for the Jenkins issues, when the remainder of HB has been reprinted.

Plus, later writers have ret-conned or ignored important plots from Jenkins' run.

Is that because Vertigo doesn't like Jenkins' run, or just because there aren't Trades, so writers are only using continuity that's still in-print. Who knows?