Sign in to follow this  
TestosteRohne

Who Rewatches the Watchmen?

WARNING SPOILT LIKE PARIS HILTON.

On my annular (Not really) rereading of Watchmen, I'm still amazed at the tiny tings I've missed.

I start the bidding with the scene in which Veidt explains how/why he killed The Comedian.

There's a small caption of him holding him up as he's about to toss him through the window.

There's blood across Veidt's face in the exact same manner as the 80's smiley face.

New to me.

Next?

Just noticed it a couple of weeks ago on my annual reading.*

There's a scene with Bernard saying, "What's the matter with people? Can't they se the signs?"

And in the background, there you can see the crazy sign-guy rummiging through a trash bin that is one of Rorschach's drop points.

* Okay, so I only read it cover to cover once last year.

Hehe.

The panel where Jon is talking about the Keene Act, at the bottom:

"The only other active vigilante is called Rorschach, real name unknown

He expresses his feelings towards compulsary retirement in a note left outside police head quaters along with a dead multiple rapist."

Then there's a dead body with a note that reads "NEVER!"

I know it's not tiny, but it made me laugh.

Just noticed it a couple of weeks ago on my annual reading.*

There's a scene with Bernard saying, "What's the matter with people? Can't they se the signs?"

And in the background, there you can see the crazy sign-guy rummiging through a trash bin that is one of Rorschach's drop points.

I'd read the book two or three times before I noticed that Rorschach is actually right there, on the first page, treading through the Comedian's blood carrying his "The End Is Nigh" sign. Same thing goes for his appearance outside the the cemetery after the Comedian's funeral, again in his "civilian" guise.

It's not hidden but it's quite understated.

In the kidnapping case that makes Rorshach, the killer is either a dressmaker or has a thing for womens dresses, this ofcourse echoes Rorshach's origins himself.

It's a nice little comparison that works so much better than the juxtaposition in the Killing Joke.

It's not hidden but it's quite understated.

In the kidnapping case that makes Rorshach, the killer is either a dressmaker or has a thing for womens dresses, this ofcourse echoes Rorshach's origins himself.

It's a nice little comparison that works so much better than the juxtaposition in the Killing Joke.

It's a nice touch that.

I never actually picked up on the Quality characters thing off my own bat, so that doesn't count. I do wonder whether the buddy cop pairing was established to mirror Dreiberg and Rorschach, though.

My favorite little thing that I didn't notice when i read it at age 13 or so, but that I did notice at 18 was...

Oh hell, let me do the spoiler thingey.

after the New York Apocalypse, there's a comic floating past with a "Veidt Method" advert.. It reads "I will give you bodies beyond imagining" or something like that.

I don't have my copy around so this could be totally wrong but:

I think that in his right-wing racist article, the Newspaper man used a picture of Hooded Justice as a model of a hero, with some caption about honor going hooded. Goes along with the whole fake American dream thing.

I just noticed that in her very last panel, Laurie hints at donning the Comedian identity.

Yeah oddly that only really sank in the last reading, The protective leather, the mask and the gun.

It's great that the Red Death's band is called Pale Horse.

A nice enough touch for their final performance.

I just noticed that in her very last panel, Laurie hints at donning the Comedian identity.

Yeah oddly that only really sank in the last reading, The protective leather, the mask and the gun.

One should also note that both started out in yellow costumes, too.

Very sharp that one. Hadn't occurred to me, but you're probably dead right about that one. Of course, as far as women in leather go, there's also the "vice Queen" (who's name I forget, but in the photo that's seen and the dream sequence she's sporting a full on dominatrix type ensemble) Dreiberg had a fixation with, so there might be an element of her humouring her boyfriend as much as coming to terms with her father.

I loved the Devo reference from Laurie.

Dreiberg's Niteowl goggles are indeed Devo.

But specifically their famous song Jocko homo has that "Are we not men?" chorus.

And this happens just before his show of imputancy.

I think i mentioned this before here but I only noticed this year when I reread it after seeing the trailer that the entire issue Fearful Symmetry is pretty much symmetrical.

I noticed before that the middle pages where Veidt is attacking his assassin were symmetrical and that the issue contained many motifs of symmetry such as reflections in mirrors and numbers on documents and doors such as 808 but not that the first page mirrored that last page and the second mirrored the penultimate page and so on.

I think Dogpoet's bit about the "clock" being used as a defcon like barometer of how close the US and Russia were to hot stinking microwave war, should be articulated again by someone.

Nice contribution that Electricinca, but honestly what are you blathering about?

Can someone say highbrow.

Whew. :tongue: