Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

The Eternals!

After seeing the Eternals in Incredible Hercules I became interested.

So what's good reading?

Is the original Kirby stuff good?

Is the Gaiman/JRJR mini-series worth it?

What about the current series by the brothers Knauf and Acuna?

After seeing the Eternals in Incredible Hercules I became interested.

So what's good reading?

Is the original Kirby stuff good?

Is the Gaiman/JRJR mini-series worth it?

What about the current series by the brothers Knauf and Acuna?

I really liked the Gaiman series, even if no one else seemed to. The current series is slow moving but good. I like Acuna's art A LOT.

I read bits of the Kirby series (four or five issues) and felt it looked like great fun. I will be getting the bind ups of that, but only after Devil Dinosaur, a Lamy 2000 and a few other odds and ends I fancy, so it'll likely be a while yet. The art is magnificent, the dialogue is no worse than any of his other stuff, and the preposterous apologia for Von Daniken masquerading as an introduction to the first issue aside, it's all good stuff. That said, I'm told it has a few dreadful moments, and I haven't read any of those issues.

I really liked the Gaiman series, even if no one else seemed to. The current series is slow moving but good. I like Acuna's art A LOT.

So the current series continues directly from the Gaiman mini-series?

I too love me some Acuna art. Uncle Sam & the Freedom Fighters and his few issues of the Flash were awesome to behold.

Jack Kirby's Eternals is the only Eternals books I've ever enjoyed. I've found the characters to be utterly unworkable outside of Kirby, based on latter representations.

The Kirby work really is great fun. Kirby's working strongly with the Von Daniken myths (without the Euro-centrism, which is always good).

Well, I just finished the Gaiman series and found it very enjoyable. Of course JRJR's art is magnificent and is well suited for Celestials and god-like Eternals. My one problem was the seemingly forced, unnecessary inclusion of the mainstream Marvelverse. As I understand this was something Kirby fought against wanting the Eternals to be seperate, which works so much better, and I think it would have for this new interpretation. And they just had to have comments regarding the Civil War and Initiative, etc. Although, Zuras' comments about arguing children was great.

Makes want to check out the Kirby series even more.

Kirby's Eternals is far from his best work, but if you're already a fan of the King, it's worth checking out. It mainly consists of ideas which he deployed to far greater effect in the Fourth World books, though - there are moments of brilliance, especially in the art, but it's not an overwhelming success, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already at least moderately familiar with Kirby's other 'cosmic' books.

Glorious art aside, I didn't care for Gaiman's version at all.

i must agree about gaiman's version. i borrowed it from a friend who had the hardbound edition and found it hard to finish because i kept losing interest.