Sign in to follow this  
Fredi

Superman Reboot

Well, that announcement seems to have 63 pages of comments; and if the first page is anything to go by, almost all of them say what a load of garbage the studio's position is.

Rebooting Superman and making all of the DC films "dark" sounds like a parody of a dumb studio announcement.

There's so much I liked about 'Superman Returns' but so much that let it down (even the dodgy job changing his eye colour in the final shot of the film!). I do think that the kid thing tied any sequels in knots that wouldn't be particularly interesting.

I know that a lot of crowds wanted to see Superman punching more things. And I hate these people. But I do think that Lex running for/becoming President would be a good story and see the REAL conflict between what Lex would have been if the new golden boy wasn't around. And you can throw Brainiac in if needs be. Just make it good!

I do think that Superman Returns is the one time that I thought 'ooh, I could have done with a little more Christ metaphor there'

Instead it got lost in the 'father, the son and the snotty-nosed asthmatic kid'.

It annoys me when people write off Superman as 'boring' because he's 'too powerful' or 'too good'. I do get overly defensive when i think it's the writers who just can't come up with the good stories that challenge Superman's character - not just his abilities. Where does Superman fit into a modern cynical world? I thought they were going to tackle this when he'd been away for five years in the last film. I wanted Superman to 'return' to a world that was a lot like ours - a bit jaded, suspicious etc - that was the most interesting aspect I was looking forward to, going in. But the only person who actually seemed that bothered was Lois, writing pissy articles. As far as the world or Metropolis seemed concerned, basically Superman came back, caught the shuttle and everyone suddenly thought they were safe to fall out windows again. Grrrr.

It wasn't that some of the ideas were wrong for the film - just that they didn't deliver on them.

And without stating the obvious, what the fuck does 'darker' mean anyway? Just a stupid studio buzzword to mean 'this sequel will be better'.

And Brandon Routh is great. Hope they keep him. Rant over.

I guess you could do a darker story. Just not a darker Superman which would be a horrible idea. Superman is supposed to be a bright shinning beacon of hope and represent all that is good in humans. Batman is meant to be dark and scary.

If they want an idea for the next movie they should check out their own employees' work. By that I mean the current arc by Johns having Superman fighting Brainiac. A few minor changes and it's good to go.

Besides, do we really need another Superman origin story? His origin is possibly the most well known in all of comics and doesn't need to be retold.

I guess you could do a darker story. Just not a darker Superman which would be a horrible idea. Superman is supposed to be a bright shinning beacon of hope and represent all that is good in humans. Batman is meant to be dark and scary.

I would say Superman is about inspiring hope, whereas Batman is about striking fear. But yeah, that's the bottom line.

I would be interested if part of the premise was Superman becoming viewed as obsolete and non-realist by a Metropolis grown jaded and cynical. I wouldn't want him to be slapping pimps around or anything like that.

Besides, do we really need another Superman origin story? His origin is possibly the most well known in all of comics and doesn't need to be retold.

No, but Luthor should.