JohnMcMahon

"I was coming up on the end of this very dark and oppressive Hellblazer run..."

Hmmn, I suppose I agree with him that DC and/or Vertigo don't really do much to promote Hellblazer any more. I suppose it's since the Vertigo Universe is looking slightly moribund these days.

All of Vertigo's big recent successes have been in their own little worlds like Y the last Man or 100 Bullets etc or Vertigo just heralds the fact that the Sandman once existed here from time to time. But Andy's right that Hellblazer is pretty much ignored as without conterparts in Lucifer, Books of Magic, Swamp Thing etc, it's tough to feel that Hellblazer is part of something bigger so it really has become just a title rather than a foundation of DC Vertigo.

I don't think any of us want to have to read several Vertigo titles to understand a storyline and I know a lot of you would probably disagree with the following, but I really wouldn't mind a Vertigo maxi or ongoing series by a powerful writer who writes a story that features ALL of the Vertigo universe lot like Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Doctor Occult, Tim Hunter, Constantine (and Chas) etc** involved in one big storyline that doesn't require all manner of backstory and exposition.

It really is like Vertigo are sometimes embarassed about their magical roots and it's even more depressing that Andy didn't enjoy writing Hellblazer

** Probably not Morpheus though. Not only would it really have be Neil Gaiman writing etc etc it but I feel that that story is done now. That was a finite series.

Hmmn, I suppose I agree with him that DC and/or Vertigo don't really do much to promote Hellblazer any more. I suppose it's since the Vertigo Universe is looking slightly moribund these days.

All of Vertigo's big recent successes have been in their own little worlds like Y the last Man or 100 Bullets etc or Vertigo just heralds the fact that the Sandman once existed here from time to time. But Andy's right that Hellblazer is pretty much ignored as without conterparts in Lucifer, Books of Magic, Swamp Thing etc, it's tough to feel that Hellblazer is part of something bigger so it really has become just a title rather than a foundation of DC Vertigo.

I don't think any of us want to have to read several Vertigo titles to understand a storyline and I know a lot of you would probably disagree with the following, but I really wouldn't mind a Vertigo maxi or ongoing series by a powerful writer who writes a story that features ALL of the Vertigo universe lot like Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Doctor Occult, Tim Hunter, Constantine (and Chas) etc** involved in one big storyline that doesn't require all manner of backstory and exposition.

It really is like Vertigo are sometimes embarassed about their magical roots and it's even more depressing that Andy didn't enjoy writing Hellblazer

** Probably not Morpheus though. Not only would it really have be Neil Gaiman writing etc etc it but I feel that that story is done now. That was a finite series.

Twilight of the Anti-heroes?