Balthazar

What's Your Image?

That's odd, the link worked just now and I read the start of it then it internal errored on me.

Image is an odd fish in my comics collection.

When it started I got PITT, The Maxx and Spawn, plus I remember Jim Valentino's autobiograpical comics very fondly.

Spawn stayed with me until around #50 and I still have some of the guest writer issues and Sam & Twitch, but long since abandoned the title.

The Maxx is among my favourite "superhero series" ever, and I think I should revisit that story when I get to the Ancient Comics Boxes.

But now my purchases seem to be very different. Age of Bronze, Walking Dead and Jack Staff - of course, Astro City (along with Homage) has moved on.

Looking at the wikipedia page on "notable series" to refresh my memory, here's the ones I recall:

* Age of Bronze

* Altered Image

* Aria

* Astro City

* The Atheist (awwww, whatever)

* Badger (these were reprints and a new series, I liked that new one very much)

* Big Bang Comics (one of the better superhero parodies out there, but rather more affectionate)

* Casanova (oh I forgot this one from my current list)

* Channel Zero (so many publishers ! of course I came to this later through AIT)

* Danger Girl (dipped into but lost interest failry quickly)

* Firebreather ( think I remember this ... checks tinternet ... oh yes I do. Didn't know it was ongoing, so must check it out)

* Gen¹³ (never got this, except for a few guest writer issues)

* Hellshock (ahh yes!)

* Jack Staff (I have all these whatever publisher, and the earlier Burglar Bill too)

* Jinx (were these Bendis reprints? I have one or two of his early series TPBs)

* Kabuki (another one I forgot ! Oh it's now Marvel Icon isn't it? If only the stories were being published like the one that got me hooked)

* Madman Atomic Comics (I used to love this but since it restarted not got back into it)

* The Maxx

* Megaton Man (yay!)

* Midnight Nation (back in the days I would buy a series and then read at the end I don't seem to have enjoyed this - but it's still in the boxes somewhere, maybe I should check)

* Obergeist (ooh, Tony Harris and co)

* PITT

* Powers (it just lost me after a couple of years ...)

* Sam and Twitch

* Shaman's Tears (ah yes, Mike Grell was one of those early Image adopters wasn't he?)

* Stormwatch (only by picking up the TPBs when Ellis made Authority)

* Stupid Comics (mahfood?)

* Suburban Glamour (emo fairies !)

* A Touch of Silver

* Tribe

* Walking Dead, The

* Wetworks (only ever got the ones Mike Carey wrote, they are DC though aren't they?)

Was WetWorks ever at Image? I thought they only started after WildStorm left Image, but I'm not expert on Image. They are under the DC/WildStorm banner now though, yes. I only read those three J.M. DeMatteis fill-in stories, actually.

The Maxx is amazing. If Image had never released another good title after that, they'd still be worth a mention as a comic company because of that one book. Although, WildStorm owns that series as well and the Trades were all released under DC.

I also really liked Hellshock.

I read Spawn through issue #100, and then dropped it. I have perseverance (and OCD!). The Spawn, The Undead series by Paul Jenkins was the best Spawn though.

I never read StormWatch until picking up the Trades, also published by DC/WildStorm.

Same with Astro City.

I did read the first three (?,up to the Warren Ellis guest star issue) Trades of Powers, but I believe they are under the Marvel imprint now.

Madman...I remember when that was released occasionally by Epic Comics. Those were the issues I read.

I never really read any other Image books. Your article was pretty informative for someone like me, Balt. I keep hearing from people on here about the great books from Image, but I've never been able to get the image (he he) of Todd McFarlane's business practices out of my head when it came to Image. So, I've always had a really hard time picking up any Image books.

I remember Jay Faerber from his Generation X days. Cool that he corresponded with you. His Generation X had a style that reminded me a lot of the classic Claremont New Mutants issues. That's all I know him from though.

Balty, I did notice a few areas that needed editing for simple grammar errors. Nothing really major. Just give it a quick read over and a quick edit and it should be fine.

Image for me comprise the best of Wildstorm and Vertigo in their heyday (not the sad shadowy twilight years shit those two churn out now)

Ah, Christian, thanks for that. I'll reread it in a bit, try to track those lil bits. And Image has made me such a happy reader. Great and entertaining books and I'm really glad I took the plunge. I would recommend Proof, Mice Templar, Casanova, Elephantmen, or Nobles Causes as I feel you'd probably enjoy those, Christian.

Heh, and you know I'm going to defend David Hine's writing on Spawn. It's been an absolute blast and the recent issue has been fantastic. Sadly, his run is also being rushed and closed due to McFarlane coming back to the book as co-writer with Brian Haberline and Whilce Portacio coming in as artist. A lot of people who dropped Spawn at some point tried out Hine's run and ended up enjoying it and staying. Heck, I tried reading a few issues from that past, mostly post 100 and I just can't believe I used to enjoy them.

Thanks for the read, guys!

I know Shawn's one!

One what? Huh what am I? One of THEM? :smile:

Yes, I am an Image fan.

In fact more and more books I read are Image:

Astounding Wolf-Man, Invincible, Walking Dead, Madman, Perhapanauts (trades until I catch up), Proof, Jack Staff, Screamland, Savage Dragon, Dynamo 5 (trades until I catch up), Gemini 5.

That Invincible all Image cross-over sounds very interesting. It will be one hell of challenge to get all those characters in one book and have it make sense. I like that Image has started to bridge their superhero books, but I NEVER want it to the level of DC and Marvel. I don't think they will since it's one of the reasons Image books are becoming a more popular alternative.

If I had to pick one Image book of late that is a break out star it would be Proof. Every month it gets better and better. I give this book my highest recommendation.

Man, I haven't even picked up the new Proof. I've been missing about three weeks of Image books. I don't have the new Golly, Noble Causes, Proof, Invincible, Elephantmen, Savage Dragon...

image has published some of my favorite comics: walking dead, nightly news, proof, girls, the sword, phonogram, fell, invincible. but it also publishes many more titles i wouldn't pick up if i were desperate for a comic and they were the only gig in town. i looked at a shark-man once, and frankly, you guys can have him. but, due to the titles i've already mentioned, i will forever be enamored with at least part of image, one little bit in the corner rather than the entire image, so to speak.

Well, they're always stuff that a publisher releases that won't always get your fancy. See, I've heard a few people who liked that Shark-man book. What other books don't you like by them?

Also, Larsen talks of Savage Dragon for Free Comic Book Day!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19111

Just read this thread for the first time. I'd forgotten all about Obergiest. I liked that book, and thought Dan Jolley and Tony Harris were a good team, too bad they split, though i cannot complain about Ex Machina which probably wouldn't have happened if they were still together i guess.

Savage Dragon is one of those books that i've never read, but sort of wish i had. Every so often i think about picking it up, but utimately end up putting it down for something else.

I'm pretty sure the first Maxx TP was published through Image, though nothing else got collected until DC acquired Wildstorm, bizarrely.

Image was also publishing Strangers In Paradise for a while, wasn't it?

Image Comics For Wednesday 24th December

UK comic shops MAY have their deliveries Tuesday 23rd or Wednesday 23rd, make a phone call before you make the trip!

Please note: This list is taken from the list, on Midtown Comics site, of comics THEY will be receiving.

There sometimes may be some discrepancies on which comics go to which regions.

If anything is not on Midtowns confirmed list, but on the Diamond list on Monday it will be added in.

SHORT VERSION

• Astounding Wolf-Man #11 $2.99
  • Darkness #73 $2.99
  • Guerillas #3 $5.99
  • Howard Chaykins American Flagg Definitive Collection Vol 1 TP $19.99
  • Invincible #57 $2.99
  • Savage #3 $3.50
  • Savage Dragon #143 $3.50
  • Spawn #187 $2.95

LONG VERSION

THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN #11

32 PAGES • FC • $2.99

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

art & cover JASON HOWARD

GUEST-STARRING INVINCIBLE!

In part two of a two-part crossover, Invincible sets off on a mission to bring the fugitive Wolf-Man to justice. This issue continues from INVINCIBLE #57.

DARKNESS #9/73

32 PAGES • FC • $2.99

story PHIL HESTER

art JORGE LUCAS

covers JORGE LUCAS & DALE KEOWN

Jackie Estacado is in Hell...literally! Jackie’s soul has been condemned to eternal damna

tion and his assigned tormentor happens to be an ages-old enemy who bears a centuries-long grudge against The Darkness. But this enemy has a proposition for Jackie, a bargain that may prove more terrible than Hell itself. Meet The Sovereign.

GUERILLAS #3

56 PAGES • FC • $5.99

story BRAHM REVEL

art & cover BRAHM REVEL

The chimps are being chased by the U.S. military and hunted by the Viet Cong. Turns out Viet Nam isn’t a very safe place to be a monkey… See what happens next in GUERILLAS #3!

AMERICAN FLAGG! VOL. 1 TP

198 PAGES • FC • $19.99

story, art & cover HOWARD CHAYKIN

AMERICAN FLAGG! — created, written and illustrated by HOWARD CHAYKIN and winner of numerous awards and honors, including nine Eagle Awards — now available as a trade paperback collecting the series’ first seven issues!

Collects AMERICAN FLAGG! #1-7

INVINCIBLE #57

32 PAGES • FC • $2.99

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

art & cover RYAN OTTLEY & FCO PLASCENCIA

GUEST-STARRING THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN!

In part one of a two-part crossover, Invincible sets off on a mission to bring the fugitive Wolf-Man to justice. To be continued in THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN #11.

SAVAGE #3 (of 4)

32 PAGES • FC • $3.50

plot JEFF FRANK & STE|VE NILES

script JEFF FRANK & DAN WICKLINE

Art & cover MIKE MAYHEW

Lost in the woods, his leg savagely wounded by a creature that can't exist, Peter desperately clings to the last shreds of his sanity. Meanwhile, in order for Sam to save an innocent life, he must transform from hunter to monster and fight a pack of bloodthirsty werewolves to the death! This is when the fur really starts to fly…

SAVAGE DRAGON #143

32 PAGES • FC • $3.50

story, art & cover by ERIK LARSEN

Dragon's search for his missing wife comes to an end in the most shocking way possible!

SPAWN #187

32 PAGES • FC • $2.95

story TODD McFARLANE & BRIAN HOLGUIN

art & cover WHILCE PORTACIO

THE ENDGAME CONTINUES!

The world of Spawn is still recoiling from the stunning revelations of issue 185. As word of those game-changing events echo from the rafters of Heaven to the depths of Hell, players begin to study the board, plot their strategies and make their move. Brought to you by the new creative team of TODD McFARLANE, WHILCE PORTACIO and BRIAN HOLGUIN.

Nice to see they timed both parts of the Invincible/Astounding Wolf-Man crossover to come out the same week.

Greg, your not picking up part 2 of the cross-over?

I am also excited to have another issue of Savage Dragon so soon after the last one. Only two weeks.

I will pick up Spawn #187. However, if it does not do it for me I am calling it quits.

You know, I didn't even read the solit. Crap, not sure I want to get it. We'll see how I feel.

I still didn't get the previous issue of Savage Dragon. I heard there's a great reveal in it, but my shop has missed out on 3 weeks on my Image books so I'm gonna have to wait to school is done and I have money to buy some stuff in the city.

And I don't blame you for dropping Spawn. I just may do it soon enough. I guess I'm just hoping a bit of excitement would come due to me enjoying the book for so long, but I haven't been too happy since Hine was taken out. And even his last issue or two wasn't so great due to the rush for the creative change. Whatev.

They've solicited the American Flagg collection before, but (for reasons that have never been adequetely explained) it didn't appear. Still, that hasn't stopped me advance ordering it a second time.

(Wetworks was at Image for the first chunk of its run, btw. I think Wildstorm stuck it out straight after the Team Seven miniseries as they wanted something similar in a contemporary setting. It definitely predates the move to DC, and was being published before Warren Ellis started watching Stormwatch. I think the plug was pulled on it before Wildstorm migrated, though.)

I know what I think. It's bloody brilliant.

However, it is difficult to judge based solely on the first issue since the story takes a few issues to really get going.

The entire first arc as a whole is magnificent, while the individual issues standing alone are not as strong.

The art in Madman may be the best comic book art out there today.

I actually bought the third trade from Dark Horse in a used book store that was selling it very cheap. I read like 2 issues and was so lost and had no idea what I was reading and I don't think I was in the right mind frame. I never read it again or finished it, heh. But I've skimmed through some issues of the book in my LCS of the recent Image series and they always looked fun.

Yo, Shawn. What you think of Spawn this month?

Also, I had to drop Invincible from my pull but I will pick up the crossover with the Image characters. Although I was enjoying the book, I'm really behind on it and have no idea a lot of the stuff is going on and also I tent to finish reading each issue quicker than I should. I think I'll have to read it in trades.

Yo, Shawn. What you think of Spawn this month?

Also, I had to drop Invincible from my pull but I will pick up the crossover with the Image characters. Although I was enjoying the book, I'm really behind on it and have no idea a lot of the stuff is going on and also I tent to finish reading each issue quicker than I should. I think I'll have to read it in trades.

Spawn? Hmmm..... I am bit on the fence really. The art is improving, although I still don't think Portacio is a good fit. Bring back Capullo or someone who knows anything about storytelling and anatomy.

As for the story, on the one hand I was glad to actually find myself reading it, with hones-to-goodness dialog, rather than just looking a bunch of pictures with people posing. This issue had things happening with that forgettable assassin going after Patient 47. HOWEVER, all the rights things aren't happening, such as getting Spawn, the title character, in the book. To me it is a bad sign that McFarlane had to remind/beg people in the letter column to stick with the book as the story will really get going in a few issue. Serious. With most other books I would have no problem with this, but for this new direction of Spawn they needed to be able to grab readers' attention, which they did with the death of Al Simmons, and keep it going with the introducition of his replacement, which they have not.

This issue almost met my threshold of "FUCK OFF." I want to be more optimistic and hope that McFarlane's hype will be all it is cracked up to be, but his past record doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence.

AND, keep buying Invincible. Or else! :smile: