Mark

The state of Hellblazer

What is the state of Hellblazer  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Compared with the history of Hellblazer, it is currently ...

• Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
  2. 2. Compared with most other current comics, Hellblazer right now is ...

• More interesting
    • No different
    • Less interesting
  3. 3. I carry on reading Hellblazer because ...

• of habit, I am not enjoying it
    • I am enjoying it
  4. 4. Cake or Death ?

• Cake
    • Death

Just for the record, I would love it too if stuff like Pandemonium, All His Engines etc were a yearly (preferably more) thing. If that were the case, I'd much rather buy that than a monthly episode!

It's all been a bit disappointing for a while now, hasn't it ?

In some ways it does feel like Hellblazer has become a more traditional monthly comic, with an over-reliance on old plot points and familiar faces from the past, John siring three children with a demon in another dimension just feels so much more X-Men than anything else.

Oddly enough, and I'm just speaking for what I'm looking for in the title right now, it'd probably be a good time for someone like Azzarello to come in - someone who has no interest in what's gone before, who just wants to take this nasty sod and use him as a device for telling dark little stories.

I'll tell you one thing, I could happily go a good long bloody while without ever having to read about Clarice or Watford or Nergal or Ellie or Map or any of that lot.

Oddly enough, and I'm just speaking for what I'm looking for in the title right now, it'd probably be a good time for someone like Azzarello to come in - someone who has no interest in what's gone before, who just wants to take this nasty sod and use him as a device for telling dark little stories.

I've been saying that for a few years now. Usually I get shouted down, or at least quibbled into submission, but deep down inside I still know we're right.

I was thinking that a quarterly title with 3 or so stories each time might be better, you could keep one constant writer each year and rotate the others.

When you have a title as old as Hellblazer then there's probably a very real chance that a lot of sales could be down to simple inertia - so you move it from monthly to, say, quarterly and you may find that half your audience disappears as a result of the off-months.

Oh.

I'm kinda reminded of those columns by W. Ellis about how much he hated Marvel and DC and superheroes and mainstream comics a year before he went to write X men.

Vertigo only really turns a profit in trades, fuck, Sandman is what keeps Karen Burger in Birkenstocks and that title hasn't been in floppy reissue for what? a decade?

Personally I haven't brought a floppy that wasn't a back issue for 3 years, I don't really understand why yall bother buying Hellblazer monthly anyway, when's the last time the title had a story that wasn't written to be traded? that didn't read better in a trade? The only problem is the trading schedule is worse than geriatric, they need to speed that shit up.

Vertigo on the whole are putting out more OGNs and have launched a digest PB OGN line. This is the end of the line for most monthly mature readers titles, if things continue then my guess is in the next 5 years Vertigo will shift the majority of their output from monthlies to OGNs for new titles, Dark Horse will follow suit soon after.

Hard to argue with any of that.

It may be partly down to my being an old man but I don't buy any monthly comics at the moment, do a trade run once a month or so instead.

I'm probably half your age and I only buy HB and All Star Superman with any regularity. I don't like buying Marvel or DC, and indies have trouble keeping consistent schedules.

I've been saying that for a few years now. Usually I get shouted down, or at least quibbled into submission, but deep down inside I still know we're right.

I was all set to leap in and say "you mustn't have been saying it on this forum, because I've never read it." Then I remembered I haven't followed the monthly issue threads since I dropped Hellblazer a year or so back. blush.gif

Yeah I always feel like the asian guy in a white bar, completely red-faced after one drink.

Go get him then! You can do it!

Hard to argue with any of that.

It may be partly down to my being an old man but I don't buy any monthly comics at the moment, do a trade run once a month or so instead.

Define "old man" if you please...

I believe John McMahon is the same age as me, making him in his early 30s, leaning towards mid-30s. He's not really an "old man". At the same age as John, I read as many or more comics than I ever have, but that's because I refuse to ever be an old man.

EDIT:Sorry. John McMahon is actually a year older than me. In another year, I will still not be an old man though.

I seem to be the only one so far buying it out of habit and who would choose death rather than cake.

I'm really disappointed in the results for that last question.

I also voted that I see Hellblazer as really "no different" than most other comics currently, and that compared to past Hellblazer eras, the current Hellblazer is "okay".

I've been reading old stuff.

See for me, Eddie Campbell and American Splendor are new, I've only been into comics for 2 years or so.

But I'll pick up an indie at a LCS if it looks good usually.

I was disappointed there was no option for 'Death BY Cake'

That'd be my choice. Quite literally.