A. Heathen

The Sandman

I want to get Spiderman and his amazing friends on DVD but i don't think it'll be as good as I remember it being, the Sandman was in that.

The Sandman was one of the comics they had at my local library where I used to hang out after school (I was so cool) and along side The Invisibles got me into comics in the first place. So I like it.

Curiously, because I used to borrow it off my brother, I always consider Sandman and most Neil Gaiman products to be 'his' so while I think it's mostly brilliant, I have still have warmer feelings for Shade & Enigma, Lucifer, Hellblazer etc which were 'mine'.

'Men of Good Fortune' (where we see Dream and Hob Gadling meeting through the centuries) is possibly my favourite short story and maybe single issue of a comic ever!

i loved it when I first read it. but i hadn't read that many comics for grown-ups at that point anyway, so i might haave been easily impressed. i've tried to go back and re-read it, but knowing what will happen takes most of the fun out of sandman. ihave gone back and re-read kindly ones 2 or 3 times.

Yeah, it was neat how Gadling wouldn't give up. Most men would have, but Dream had touched him, and while a dream holds you , you can't quit, eh?. I loved the later story too, where he went to the Ren Fair.

That is something I often do think about. Just what would my great x5 grandfather think of modern New Zealand and its people?. How far from what he foresaw for Australia "This great Queen-to-be of the Pacific" would Darwin judge the present day Aussie?. And how would they and others view OUR view backward of THEIR time?.

There are few places left in Auckand that could be recognised by someone transported from 1800. Whole HILLS and rivers are simply gone, ignore the obvious like the buildings, they would recognise the skyline.

And Hob got to watch it all happen. WONDERFUL conceit.

I can't talk about about it because i've never read it. I'm thinking about picking it up at some point.

I looked at some of the Absolute Sandman the other night and i actually think I prefer the un-remastered art and colouring.

I don't object to it having been re-done at all because it's a fine job - mostly done by the artist themselves, I gather - but I like the timliness of the old colour scheme the same way that I think art during Delano's Hellblazer run suits the time the stories were written and drawn.

To me, one of the finest scripts ever. Tolkien was said to give England a mythology... Well, I say that Gaiman was the one who gave England a mythology.

If only the art was as good. The quality varies too much, but I guess it was very dependent on the money they had in that moment.

I was never into Sandman until I saw a comic with John Constantine on it, so I bought it. But I tend to be a completist so I started to read the rest... at the end I got all the TPBs.

I was crying in the last chapters.

And before anyone calls me an emo, know that I cry also with Conan. No bullshit.

To me, one of the finest scripts ever. Tolkien was said to give England a mythology... Well, I say that Gaiman was the one who gave England a mythology.

It's not particularly English, though. Not uniquely so, at any rate - and while it's an effective piece of mythology, it's mainly dedicated to reinterpreting existing myths, not creating new ones like Tolkien did.

I like Sandman. Not as much as I did when I first read it, because I've read a lot more comics since then and have more to compare it to, but I like it.

- and while it's an effective piece of mythology, it's mainly dedicated to reinterpreting existing myths, not creating new ones like Tolkien did.

I disagree on that point. If Gaiman reinterpreted existing myths, Tolkien did the same to certain extent (Der Ring des Nibelungen is inspired in the same german mythology, and elves, dwarves and that are taken straight from Norse mythology).

OK, Gaiman mythology does not refer exactly to England while a lot of people see in the hobbits a metaphor of british lifestyle (but they are wrong anyway, hobbits are belgians XDDD).

Actually I don't know why people say that England didn't have mythology until Tolkien. And Avalon, Pendragon,...?

Your last comment was what I was going to address in your post. The idea that Britain didn't have its own mythology until Tolkien is absurd. I've actually never heard anyone mention that before.

I do still consider Sandman to be the finest writing in a comic book series to this day. There are a few books I consider to be better stories, but none that I consider to be finer written.

It's the only reason I'm still reading comics to this day, really. I had gotten sick of X-books and decided that I was growing too old for comic books. I quit reading all comics, and that year was the only period of time in which I have not read comic books. Eventually, I ended up discovering Sandman, which completely changed my view of comic books. I believe my cousin wanted to catch up on some comic back-issues as he reads sporadically, and I decided I'd like to browse for nostalgia. While looking and talking to the owner about why I didn't buy comics anymore, he said I should give Sandman a chance. Issue #51 was the current book, and I decided I'd give it one try. From there, I found Spawn. Then, Sandman led to my finding Hellblazer, then on to Swamp Thing, and finally Animal Man. Those were the only comic books I would touch before I finally gave in and started my true obsession with comic books.

Perhaps if I'd found Hellblazer or Swamp Thing or maybe even Spawn first, the results might have been the same, but I'm not sure. Sandman was everything I was looking for in literature at that point.

So, beyond the fact that I still love the series as much as I first did, I give Sandman credit for keeping my mind open to a whole world of amazing stories that my life would've been far less for missing out.

Plus, it also gave the comic world Lucifer, which doesn't rank too far behind Sandman in my book. The comic book field would be just that little bit more barren for lack of Sandman and, therefore by proxy, Lucifer.

Hey Ansar how are you!

Your last comment was what I was going to address in your post. The idea that Britain didn't have its own mythology until Tolkien is absurd. I've actually never heard anyone mention that before.

I think I have heard that in one of the documentaries about Tolkien in the DVD special editions of LOTR.

And I forgot to mention that The Sandman was, and I think it's still, the regular series with the biggest number ever of female readers.

The comment on the DVD was along the lines of "he wanted to create a new mythology for Britain". Not that there wasn't one to start with.

Ah, then okay. I must have misheard that.

And I forgot to mention that The Sandman was, and I think it's still, the regular series with the biggest number ever of female readers.

Depends on how you define "regular series" - I'm at work, so don't have time to seek out figures, but I'd be astonished if there aren't at least a dozen manga titles with female readership figures which leave Sandman in the dust. Western comic readers tend not to acknowledge the existence of manga, but the books exist, and plenty of 'em are read by far more people (especially women) than even the most popular US titles.

I think it's even over the manga. But ok, maybe I again misheard the "between all series of Western comics,..."

It's fun! OK, correct me also in this one: "whiskey comes from Wise Key."*

*one day I will find where I read that.

:p

Could be - like I said, I don't have the figures to hand.

Depends on how you define "regular series" - I'm at work, so don't have time to seek out figures, but I'd be astonished if there aren't at least a dozen manga titles with female readership figures which leave Sandman in the dust. Western comic readers tend not to acknowledge the existence of manga, but the books exist, and plenty of 'em are read by far more people (especially women) than even the most popular US titles.

I'm quite sure sales figures for Nana under female readers in Japan alone will crush The Sandman's.

"As in 2005, it has sold over 34,500,000 making it the fourth best selling shōjo manga worldwide" (from the always totally unreliable Wikipedia, but I'm guessing this is about right)

yeah. I don't think Sandman has sold anywhere near 35 million copies. and I have no idea what the three higher selling shojo mangas are... or what their sales figures are.