A. Heathen

Open Letter to Warners & co

John Constantine in Los Angeles.

"All His Engines" hardcover graphic novel, by Mike Carey and Leonardo Manco.

See what you were missing.

Ade - Sorry for posting this here, but any chance of you scoring me a copy of this...?

i'll reimburse your expenses with money, andd bootleg movies/comics.

Rogan I would have offered to get you one myself, but I'm saving my pennies for the coming year-long journo course, since there apparently won't be time for part-time work. And I still don't know how much my local shop is selling them for. The thought of blowing £40 right now makes me tremble. :(

no prob, James - i wouldn't want to burden a fellow student's budget just 'cause baby wants to have a shiny new hardcover on his bookshelf. i will read it online most likely as soon as they scan it, but Hellblazer is one comic that i want to have in paper form...

John Constantine in Los Angeles.

"All His Engines" hardcover graphic novel, by Mike Carey and Leonardo Manco.

See what you were missing.

As much as I would have loved to see this translated verbatim on to the big screen with either Sean Bean, Paul Bettany, or even Ralph Fiennes as John Constantine, I still think the Keanu version will be the bigger success. At some point we just have to face reality and accept that there's the Hollywood Constantine and then there's our John Constantine. I'm just happy we got a wonderful original alternate Constantine in LA story because of the movie.

I wonder if that's why Mike chose LA as a setting?

Mild spoiler

John also scored some holy water, even tho it wasn't at all used in the same context as the flick. 

Could these be little nods to the film or am I reading too much into things?

I'm assuming that DC commissioned a original Hellblazer trade to co-incide with the movie for all that synergy. I think Leo Manco worked on it before he took over as regular artist on the monthly title. I wonder if the editors at DC/Vertigo gave Mike some suggestions as to what the story should contain and where it should be set. I believe the person to ask here is Mr. Brown who started this thread and seems to have the inside track on the progression of this here trade.

I agree with Andy. You've got the LA setting, the cancer (of sorts), holy water and probably some other things that I don't know about becaue I haven't read it yet.

Means that Mike's a damned good writer though, if he can take a handful of things that he HAS to put in the book and still craft a damned fine story out of them.

So do we think that this is the story that will be mutilated for the sequel?

Thankfully, the Warners people finally seem to have got the message and fucked off. Hurrah!

Let's be entirely (and uncharacteristically) fair here - Dick*'s books have been butchered 6 ways from Sunday on film, but no-one can deny the magnificence of Blade Runner, which doesn't even pretend to capture the spirit of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Linklater's made some good films, and I'm curious as to what he'll do with this one.

Not sure about the casting, though...

*Heh heh heh. I said "Dick".

I know. I'm sure that if I was a Dickhead (official title of PKD obssessives, fact fans!) I would have been pissed off when the film came out, though.

I've enjoyed what little Dick ("little dick...this is just too easy) I've read, but he doesn't strike me as a writer whose books are particularly suited to cinematic adaptation. The ideas at the heart of his best stories make good high-concept film pitches, but the actual narratives themselves don't really lend themselves well to the screen.

Especially since most of his work concentrates on questions of what is reality etc. That's hard to translate to film, that is.

I'm trying to read through his stuff chronologically, so I haven't reached the point where he went totally apeshit insane just yet, but I can't really think of any that wouldn't work visually...

And I would definitely recommend that everyone read "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale," the inspiration for Total Recall but as different from that film as you can possibly get.

Indeed. I actually enjoy Total Recall in a 'brain off' stylee, but it's even less reminiscent of the wonderful 'We Can Remember It For You..' than...

...drumroll...

..Constanteen is of Hellblazer. And, with a mighty effort of will, this thread was forcibly dragged (vaguely) back on-topic.

For Dick at his most batshit insane, read "The Divine Invasion". It's...interesting

The thing is, Dick film usually end up perfectly good even if they're nothing like (or miss the point of) the source material - Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report are all perfectly good, nay, great movies. Yes, even Total Recall, which rates as one of the best action movies ever. I haven't seen Paycheck or Screamers, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

But Constantine isn't a great movie, even on its own terms.

Oh, I know - the Constanteen ref. was somewhat facetious. I had some issues with Minority Report (it never really lived up to its promise for me - despite some lovely visual design and camerawork, it descended far too quickly into generic action-adventure fare, and that final scene was fucking heinous), but by and large, films based on Dick's books have been pretty good. I hear Paycheck is jobbies, but Screamers is not-half-bad, albeit in a lesser league than the other examples above.

Oh yeah, Minority Report missed the point of the story

by having whatsisface top himself and having the entire precog business shut down

But it did at least work as an action film, much as Total Recall did.

I wasn't actually thinking of that - that was just generic action movie fare, and while it 'missed the point' of the book, it didn't really bother me cinematically. I was thinking of the final scene, where

Tom and his wife stand on the balcony, cheerfully embracing around her obviously pregnant belly. I'm not fundamentally opposed to happy endings, but that was Spielberg's saccharine tendencies at their worst. The soft focus was a particularly nauseating touch.

OI!

This thread was meant to attract those who have taken The Warners' shilling !

(Because neither of them are interested in the Hellblazer comic threads.)

Was there some Freudian reason that you all started talking about dick ?