1. 1. Lex Luthor?

• Gene Hackman
    • Clancy Brown
    • Michael Rosenbaum
    • James Marsters
    • Kevin Spacey
    • John Shea
    • Other

Clancy Brown, although it's more down to the writing than the performance. Of the live-action guys, Spacey could have been brilliant if the film he was in hadn't been shit - his performance is splendid, and his character is reasonably-written (lame master-plan notwithstanding). Hackman's great fun, but he's playing a slightly different character.

I too think Spacey if not for his awful plan (a villain is only as good as his plan - I dont care how good your dialogue is, it's the villainy that counts and growing your own spiky island of damn ain't impressing anyone!)

So for combination of writing, acting and plotting my vote goes for Michael Rosenbaum. Fantastic tragedy in the conception of this character and his descent. Fantastic portrayal of him as a future evil president too and (Smallville season 7 spoiler)

he booted his own father out the top of Luthorcorp tower!

The problem with both the Spacey and Hackman Luthors was the whole land grab thing just isn't that interesting for an arch villain of Superman.

For me a Superman movie needs more than just a lex luthor it needs another villian to offset Lex's character and help build a better story

Rosenbaum is the best so far for me, and I have a sneaky feeling LaPaglia wouldn't have made anoyone's cut even if this poll was redone today. What a horrible, horrible performance.

Clancy Brown's voice, though! It's THE lexicon of Luthor!

Because you want to see Clancy and Billy hard at it?