Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Only Good Cross-Over

With the Marvel and DC Universe embroiled in cross-over mania again (non-stop cross-overs tend to be the norm now), and so many fans bemoaning a return to the early-1990s comic book mentality, I thought it was a perfect time to look back at past cross-over events.

Final Crisis is looking nice so far, Marvel's new cross-overs haven't been so nice.

What comic book cross-over events have you actually enjoyed?

I loved the Mutant Massacre and Inferno Saga from Marvel.

I really enjoyed the original Crisis on Infinite Earths. That's a guilty pleasure.

So, those three are my choices.

The Death of Superman - it's great. I gather it might be highly responsible for leading the comic industry down an expensive path but it still is one of the best Superman stories and while it was a nice self contained high concept, it introduced a lot of people to a lot of the DCU, Justice League etc.

Recently Savage Dragon has been on a World Tour trying to find his wife and has met a bunch of other Image characters in the process. It's been such good fun. It'll conclude with this. I guess you can think of it as a bit of an Image JLA. We don't get this often. I'm excited!

sd140big.jpg

sd141big.jpg

There's also the upcoming Image United book being written by Kirkman and each issue has a different lay-out from one of the core Image founders and each drawing their own specific character. Should be an interesting experiment.

Also, Savage Dragon/Hellboy are tons of fun together!

sd35.jpg

Balth, once again you and me are the same page; quite literally it seems. I too have been reading and enjoying Savage Dragon of late with his world tour. I particularly enjoyed him teaming up with Jack Staff.

Cross-overs I liked:

Infinite Crisis

Death of Superman

Balth, once again you and me are the same page; quite literally it seems. I too have been reading and enjoying Savage Dragon of late with his world tour. I particularly enjoyed him teaming up with Jack Staff.

Heh, yeah, that was a great issue. The issue before with Madman and The Amazing Joy Buzzards was so damn fun! And man, what happened to Brainiape was crazy! :ohmy:

Btw, LOVING the new avatar. icon10.gif

The Death of Superman - it's great.

This thing you say? It is not a true thing.

The Death of Superman - it's great.

This thing you say? It is not a true thing.

Oh come on... You know your little 12 year old self wept. And if not, it's 'cos you're a heartle--

I didn't read it as a child. I read it as an adult, with fully-developed (well, more-or-less...) critical faculties, and it stunk out loud. Everything about it was shit - the nonsensical plotting, the lumpen dialogue, the ghastly early-'90s art...it's a piece of shit. I've heard that a lot of the Return of... stuff is surprisingly entertaining, but I couldn't bring myself to read it. The actual "death", though? Utter, utter crap. Really, just Bad, Bad Comics.

I read the Unity crossover from Valiant as a kid.I re-read most of it the other day,it still holds up.The best part was that this was(and still is)one of the only instances where each title only dealt with that characters role in the overall story.Even though some crossovers claim something along those lines,often as a selling point to combat reader fatigue,this was an instance where it was essentially true,and quite easy to follow in terms of the overall story.

Inferno was probably my favorite of the old-school 80s crossovers. From the newer stuff, I quite liked Messiah Complex. And though it's more an "event" than a traditional "crossover", the World's End stuff from Wildstorm has been pretty good reads.

Yo, Shawn! Invincible showed up in Noble Causes this month. Was a damn fantastic fight between him and Slate.

noblecauses37.jpg

NC37_10_colors.jpg

NC37_11_colors.jpg

Yildiray Cinar always draws fantastic fights with kick ass panel layouts. They've been such good fun to read.