JohnMcMahon

Peter Milligan new regular Hellblazer scribe ?

HELLBLAZER #251

Written by Peter Milligan

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli & Stefano Landini

Cover by Lee Bermejo

Vertigo welcomes back one of its most popular and prolific scribes to pilot our longest-running title! Joining series artist Leonardo Manco, writer Peter Milligan (BATMAN, HUMAN TARGET, X-Statix) begins raising hell as John Constantine digs his fingers deep into his bumpy past. He discovers that old wounds and new loves are both best left untouched in part 1 of the the storyarc “Scab.”

This is a wind up, right? If it isn't, it's the best thing ever, but it has to be a put on.

Thank god!

Christian and I have been praying for months, nay years.

However...Milligan's been off his A game (Or B game for that matter) for quite some time.

But if there's one title that can illicit some great work from a writer it's Con job monthly.

But wait wasn't it confirmed that Oliver was on board?

It´s great to have Peter back to Vertigo and specially to Hellblazer. think he could add great things to the tittle, he is excellent with vertigo stuff, will be a great run ( I hope).

The art isn´t that good, I don´t like Giuseppe´s art, he isn´t the right choice for the tittle, Leonardo would suit better as he ´s been.I really another artist can step in and very soon.

It´s great to have Peter back to Vertigo and specially to Hellblazer. think he could add great things to the tittle, he is excellent with vertigo stuff, will be a great run ( I hope).

The art isn´t that good, I don´t like Giuseppe´s art, he isn´t the right choice for the tittle, Leonardo would suit better as he ´s been.I really another artist can step in and very soon.

And yet, I have my heart set on Steve Dillon or Sean Phillips to be the guest artists.*

*If not eitther one, i wouldn't mind seeing Darick Robertson's take on ol' Conjob

Milligan, I'm undecided on (as Testosterohne said, he can be hit-and-miss at the best of times, and he's not been on top form lately), but I like Camuncoli enough that this might persuade me not to drop the book as of #250, which I'd been planning to do. The solicitation's mention of "series artist Leonardo Manco" does seem to suggest that this is just a fill-in art job, though, in which case I may reconsider.

I've loved Manco's art since his days on HELLSTORM, but if he's leaving my perfect choice would be Charles Adlard from X-FILES and WALKING DEAD fame. I loved the issue he drew during Jenkins' run.

Milligan, I'm undecided on (as Testosterohne said, he can be hit-and-miss at the best of times, and he's not been on top form lately), but I like Camuncoli enough that this might persuade me not to drop the book as of #250, which I'd been planning to do. The solicitation's mention of "series artist Leonardo Manco" does seem to suggest that this is just a fill-in art job, though, in which case I may reconsider.

I think we are still better off with a somewhat inconsistent Milligan, then if Oliver would have taken it, especially after reading how he writes John in Chas.

Whoops. Started a new thread - sorry, I have a pretty bad cold and am too drugged up. Apologies if my posts dont make any cornflakes.

Anyway, this could be a match made in heaven. Milligan seems older and crankier so lets hope he throws it all at us via John. If anyone can find something new to do with the old trenchcoated bastard, it's that ol' Milligan.

Fingers crossed!

I think we are still better off with a somewhat inconsistent Milligan, then if Oliver would have taken it, especially after reading how he writes John in Chas.

I tentatively agree - I think Milligan has more potential to deliver a good-to-great run, even if I don't necessarily have as much confidence in his ability to actually deliver such a run these days. Still, here's hoping.

Okay, John. Would you like me to suggest it?

Forgive me, Simon Oliver, but I agree. :blush:

Milligan was Shade, right?

Amongst many other things. He wrote a 3-issue Shade arc starring Constantine; that'd be issues 42-44, for the folks who now want to read it.

Milligan was Shade, right?

Never read it.

This is really good news from what I can tell. Who's Milligan like?

Back in the day, I'd say Milligan and Morrison were vying for the top oddball-storytelling spot with Milligan's Shade the Changing Man and particularly Enigma beingi right up there with the Mystery Play and The Invinisbles.

However, where Morrison cast spells so he could change places with his characters etc, Milligan seemed to grow quite weary of comics as a medium and not really enjoy the comic scene.

I'd strongly recommend you track down Enigma though!

To be fair, Milligan's always been hit and miss. When he hits it's pretty impressive though.

I'd be surprised if he lasted a year though, he doesn't seem to stick with books for very long these days.

HELLBLAZER #251

Written by Peter Milligan

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli & Stefano Landini

Cover by Lee Bermejo

Vertigo welcomes back one of its most popular and prolific scribes to pilot our longest-running title! Joining series artist Leonardo Manco, writer Peter Milligan (BATMAN, HUMAN TARGET, X-Statix) begins raising hell as John Constantine digs his fingers deep into his bumpy past. He discovers that old wounds and new loves are both best left untouched in part 1 of the the storyarc “Scab.”

Interesting, I'm wondering what happened with Simon Oliver. It looks like Vertigo have been having several changes of heart of late. I am not such a comic nut that I know anything about Milligan, but I gather he is a more exciting and challenging choice than Oliver in most people's minds here?

I wasn't very keen on what I'd seen of Camuncoli's earlier work on Hellblazer, but really liked what he did on "Mortification of the Flesh", maybe because it all looked so Italian. maybe some of it is down to Landini?

I think it was probably more that he was busting a gut doing good stuff and getting close to fuckall out of it in return. (He also had a film he was working on in the mid '90s run aground without getting made as well, which doubtless didn't help much.)