JohnMcMahon

Peter Milligan new regular Hellblazer scribe ?

It would be a thing of wonder, but the odds are probably against another Captain Carrot series, sadly.

(You can just see a cartoon horse with its hooves stuck in its coat pockets and a cigarette dangling from its lip, can't you?)

Speaking of cloven beasts of burden, Joe Camel smokes in the shadows with his hands in a cheap blazer. And his initials are JC.

Speaking of cloven beasts of burden, Joe Camel smokes in the shadows with his hands in a cheap blazer. And his initials are JC.

Right. Any Constantine appearance in Captain Carrot would be abhorrent [over-used word]ery that justifies somebody AOL Time Warner are paying far too much getting shot through the head, then. Fuck that shit.

Is Milligan still the new writer or is Arrazello coming back?

Funny how almost everyone seems to hate Arrazello on Hellblazer, yet there always seems to be a lot of discussion about his work on the title.

Well, I'd rather see Milligan than Simon Oliver.

I wanted to see Milligan on the title after Arrazello and then again after Carey, and now Milligan is finally on the book.

I believe Milligan is also taking over as writer on Moon Knight in December, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree with you about Milligan. I´m not familiar with Oliver´s stories(I haven´t read his Exterminators series) although Milligan , it´s different, he is totally capable of writing great Hellblazer stories( I think) . In regard to Azzarello´s return, I really don´t think so.

You know, people say that a lot, but I'm really not sure it's true - at least, not without using a definition of "flagship" which is sufficiently diluted as to be meaningless. It's their longest-running title, and one with a lot of history behind it, which gives it a certain weight which it wouldn't necessarily otherwise have, but in terms of being the company's most prominent/highly-regarded/heavily-promoted product - which is, I think, what the term connotes to most people - it's quite demonstrably nothing of the sort, and hasn't been for a very, very long time (if, indeed, it ever actually was).

Doesn't mean I don't love the book, doesn't mean I'm not (cautiously) looking forward to what Milligan can do with/for it, and it certainly doesn't mean that I'm not glad that the company is finally putting out trades of the earlier material (as and when the next, and final, Delano trade comes out, they'll have fully-collected all but one of the major runs on the title, which is something I don't think any of us were expecting as recently as two or three years ago, and if trade sales are still solid, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them at least put out a tentative, testing-the-waters first Jenkins trade within the next year or two). But I do think that it's important to maintain a healthy and realistic sense of perspective.

Now that Y: The Last Man is over, I'd agree with that.

Although to be honest, if we factor in trade sales it's almost certainly still Sandman, and always will be.

Good point,I'm probably reaching a bit too far.

I was looking at the situation,in regards to some Shade collections,as some what of an"If not now,when?"

When Milligan/Allred retooled X-force,I couldn't give a care.When he was handed X-men with Larocca,I gave it a shot,also cause I'm also a sucker for the character of Havok.But honestly X-titles aren't even vaguely aimed at whatever demographic I am closest to.

But I really do think him writing Hellblazer is an entirely different animal.Any HB fans who are even vaguely intriqued can see ads for the only pre-existing Shade collections,along with announcements of future editions,in the monthly.Likewise any old time Shade fans who grab a copy of a Shade TPB can see adds for the monthly HB issues,along with the latest Diggle collections.As is evident from the view here in Straigh To Hell,many HB fans are entirely unaware of Shade.Someone at Dc should capitalise on it and test the waters.

I'm not trying to get my hopes up too high,but on a scale from Jenkins to Miracleman,this seems like something DC/Vertigo corporate(or whomevers choice it is)could take a gamble on.

According to Amazon.com(and one must always take that with a grain of salt)on November 10,2009 DC/Vertigo is releasing volume two of Shade The Changing Man.It is titled Edge of Vision.

This is my favorite comic book ever,and the Edge of Vision arc is when the book really started to hit its stride.

Thank you to Jesus/Santa/Obama/Karen Burger and whoever the hell else is making this possible.

Now that Y: The Last Man is over, I'd agree with that.

Although to be honest, if we factor in trade sales it's almost certainly still Sandman, and always will be.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm guessing number two would be Preacher.

Interview with Milligan about Shade, in which he confirms the upcoming Hellblazer crossover (and remembers that he has written them both before) - http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23845

Would I like to return to Shade? Well actually, he's going to appear in a "Hellblazer" storyline. John Constantine is going to be in trouble in such a way that only Shade can really help him. So yeah, I'm really looking forward to that, because Shade and Constantine really work well together. If you remember, Constantine appeared briefly in "Shade" from #42 to 44 and took a slight shine to Kathy. But there seems to be a nice contrast between Constantine and Shade. They're so different.

So that's happening in upcoming arc?

Yes, quite soon.

There's also more on how Milligan sees JC as a character, which maybe casts some light on some issues raised elsewhere -

Constantine is almost like a Greek hero. In the same way Euripides or Sophocles would have taken Oedipus and told a slightly different version of his mythic tale and talked about what they were interested at that time, I think Constantine needs to be approached the same way. Different writers should take on different aspects of his character and tell a slightly different version of the myth. I think that's what so interesting about him.

And there are some things that I was aware of, like when I picked up the book and everybody said, "He's such a bastard." I said, "Well, yes, he's a bit of a bastard, but he's not a complete bastard, because he's more nuanced than a lot of people seem to think." To me, bastards – real bastards – are people who rape and murder and act out race and hate crimes and this all stuff that Constantine wouldn't do. I think Constantine is morally ambiguous, but he's more nuanced. Yes, he's a bastard towards some things, but actually, when it comes down to it, he wouldn't do harm to someone who didn't deserve it. They'd have to do real nasty stuff.

So I more interested in the field I'm trying to plow where Constantine is aware of his flaws. If any character has got flaws, obviously, it's Constantine. He's not 30, so if he falls in love, he's more of a mature man who falls in love. So what are his attitudes towards love, loneliness, all of these things that make him a bit more rounded? As well, the magic stuff is really great too.

In the same way Euripides or Sophocles would have taken Oedipus and told a slightly different version of his mythic tale and talked about what they were interested at that time, I think Constantine needs to be approached the same way. Different writers should take on different aspects of his character and tell a slightly different version of the myth. I think that's what so interesting about him.

I feel exactly the same way as Milligan about this - to my mind, it's the only sensible way for a new writer to approach writing an established character, particularly one with the sort of long, complicated history which so many comics characters have - but I expect quite a few people, particularly those to whom a cohesive ongoing continuity is important, to raise sceptical eyebrows over this line.

In the same way Euripides or Sophocles would have taken Oedipus and told a slightly different version of his mythic tale and talked about what they were interested at that time, I think Constantine needs to be approached the same way. Different writers should take on different aspects of his character and tell a slightly different version of the myth. I think that's what so interesting about him.

I feel exactly the same way as Milligan about this - to my mind, it's the only sensible way for a new writer to approach writing an established character, particularly one with the sort of long, complicated history which so many comics characters have - but I expect quite a few people, particularly those to whom a cohesive ongoing continuity is important, to raise sceptical eyebrows over this line.

Same here. That should be the strong point of a series like Hellblazer, that each new writer can come in and take a new aspect of Constantine and dramatize it. I never really understand why people have such a problem with different versions of the character not being consistent. Of course they're not consistent. It's not one big twenty-year-long story, it's a bunch of little ones stuck together, and I think there should be more recognition of that in the way that the book is handed off from writer to writer. But anybody who feels differently, feel free to enlighten me about this whole continuity thing.

No, there's nothing wrong with that, at all.

I can't see there being anyway.

It's already impossible to try to reconcile Hellblazer's history.

Ennis' John is certainly not the same John that Delano was writing, and there's no way to explain why John's character would change so dramatically in a few months between Delano and Ennis.

There is the matter of consistency of character, as most people reading Hellblazer read it because of the character and fans would be adverse to too drastically changing the character.

A John drinking mineral water, helping little old ladies across the street, and rescuing little kids on the playground would be a bit much.

But, most of the writers have placed their own particular stamp on John was they wrote him.

Noticeable exceptions were with Carey through pre-Milligan, when the book seemed to be one long block.

It seemed that a few, but certainly not all, members here were growing concerned or annoyed at the over-usage of continuity for a couple of year period there on this book.

"And there are some things that I was aware of, like when I picked up the book and everybody said, "He's such a bastard." I said, "Well, yes, he's a bit of a bastard, but he's not a complete bastard, because he's more nuanced than a lot of people seem to think." To me, bastards real bastards are people who rape and murder and act out race and hate crimes and this all stuff that Constantine wouldn't do."

umm...Me and JasonT just got done discussing this exact element, but I'd say that Milligan messed up his intentions here.

And, he actually pretty much made John into a rapist.

Although, I'd say that acting out racial hatred is a fair bit more than a bastard.

I might have words to use about someone in the KKK or neo-Nazis, but "Bastard" is not it.

Bastards, to my mind, are people who steal from their grandmother's welfare check to buy booze, or who cheat their best friend out of $300, etc.

It seemed that a few, but certainly not all, members here were growing concerned or annoyed at the over-usage of continuity for a couple of year period there on this book.

I was certainly amongst their number, so Milligan's approach is the right one as far as I'm concerned.

On John-The-Bastard, Peter's given us the nastiest John in quite a while, he managed to shock me when he decided to leave Chas and do a runner to India!

On John-The-Bastard, Peter's given us the nastiest John in quite a while, he managed to shock me when he decided to leave Chas and do a runner to India!

That still sorta left a bad taste in my mouth.