Christian

Hellblazer #248

Hellblazer #248  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Your rankings

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=10268

HELLBLAZER #248

Written by Andy Diggle; Art by Leonardo Manco; Cover by Lee Bermejo

"The Roots of Coincidence" (Part 2 of 3). To discover who has been manipulating events around him, John Constantine must first understand his own relationship to the web of synchronicity that binds his life. To do so, he will tap into a source of terrifying and blasphemous power and what it reveals will change his life forever.

Vertigo | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US | Mature Readers

On Sale October 22, 2008

I dunno....I liked it, but the writing seemed very forced to me. The story seemed rushed. I'll still give it an 8. I'm just glad the Mako plot is finally ended.

The first half of the issue was grande, with John fucking over everyone in classic fashion. That was classic John.

Then, the issue transitioned a bit sloppily I felt.

I did like seeing John and Chas going down to the pub together again. It was like Diggle was fixing what's been happening in the Chas mini-series.

But, the dialogue was off. It felt like a dream-state or something. The pace was off, and the way John and Chas were talking, I got the feeling that they were young friends meeting for one of their first visits. It seemed more like an author recapping a story plot rather than real friends hanging out at the pub. Chas and John were detailing information that both should well know by now. Plus, Manco's art didn't help, as Chas looked to be in his late 20s, John maybe being early 30s.

John talking about "giving up magic" was also out-of-place, since that was supposed to be the plot during Mina's run and has just been forgotten, it was strange to see the characterization returning there out of nowhere.

What I did really enjoy was John admitting that he still has no idea what he wants from life. That's the best direction for Hellblazer to be moving in, I figure, since John really hasn't had a purpose in ages.

So, is the big ending that the Golden Boy has returned, do you think?

Well that was about the worst artwork I've seen in any comic ever. Remember how Leo Manco used to draw? What the hell happened? It's like he can't even be bothered. Story was OK at best.

5 - lowest grade I've ever given a Hellblazer issue.

Well that was about the worst artwork I've seen in any comic ever. Remember how Leo Manco used to draw? What the hell happened? It's like he can't even be bothered. Story was OK at best.

5 - lowest grade I've ever given a Hellblazer issue.

Worst artwork ever??? I have not seen it yet, but can't believe that Manco has degenerated quite that far. If it is on a par with the previous issue then I'd agree he isn't doing his best work right now, but looks as if he is reaching towards something new. Maybe I'll get the comic later and can see for myself.

I thought Manco's art was alright here, especially during the pub scene (and Constantine's reflection in the mirror while he was dressing himself was very much the Totleben/Veitch/Bisette Swamp Thing-era Constantine, I thought).

I enjoyed the story a whole lot, and while I thought John "won" a bit too easily: Was it me, or haven't we seen John in any real danger during the Mako storyline?

gets a 9 from me.

while I thought John "won" a bit too easily: Was it me, or haven't we seen John in any real danger during the Mako storyline?

I assume that's going to be the point (Although that said he almost got flattened by a train).

I quite enjoyed this penultimate issue.

Funnily enough I've always preferred the John just hangs with his mates bit best (The past recaps worked well enough for my liking, they didn't come off as forced as they could have been).

But yeah the art..and that's by Manco standards.

I bet there's a slew of mirror sequences layered throughout Diggle's run.

Golden Boy?

My moneys on Demon Constantine.

A solid 7, one point down because of the art.

So, is the big ending that the Golden Boy has returned, do you think?

Yes.

I can see most of the reasons why, but wouldn't it just be too obscure to base the entire run around it?

Bearing in mind that the Golden Boy was only ever used once and that arc/issue still remains untraded.

You'd probably need an entire issue just to recap the Golden Boy let alone conclude the entire run.

Using the African shaman from HB#1 made more sense, because the story didn't hinge upon an understanding of the character at all, and atleast the original was a prominant first issue and has been available in trade for quite some time.

Again I can see why, but I'm sure it's a red herring.

John is ostensibly the Golden Boy to Demon Constantine (It is a silly name!)

convolution, thy name is hellblazer! i have no idea what i just read. i liked when it seemed like john got the upper hand on his foes without getting beaten to shit in the process, but then that bit at the end made it seem pointless, in fact the whole thing seems rather pointless. i'll reread it and see what if anything stands out differently but not knowing what i think about it is ultimately a bad thing, i should think.

What the...?

That read really weird, like we just skipped over six issues of the Mako story and went straight to the end.

Not quite following the whole Golden Boy thing - is there a chance that this is all a fakeout so John 'becomes' him so Mako can kill him ?

Art wasn't great, far from it, but wouldn't be as negative on it as Lou was.

Agreed, a 6. Manco's really falling down on the art front, isn't he? I love the guy's work, have since his Hellstorm and Druid days, and was ecstatic about him taking over Hellblazer - and until recently, he hasn't disappointed. At this point, however, I think it's time for him to move on (which I think he's doing, right, with War Machine?). I may have missed it, is there any word on who his replacement is going to be?

Big fat 9.

I see all your holes but I really liked it. I think Josh said that the battle was too easy then it seemed to go into a dream-state down the pub...but I kinda read that as the point of the thing. After this big battle seems to have been gearing up for a long, long time, John defeating them was a doddle, then he bumps into his long-suffering oldest mate and everything's cool again.

Everything is not what it seems - Someone seems to be stacking the cards in John's favour too easily!

I've never read the issues featuring the suspected character mentioned above but I really hope it's not some well-worn continuity character. I'm hoping it's...

a.) Some sort of Constantine legacy thing.

b.) Something to do with Ellie getting her own back.

c.) God.

...or...dum dum daaaaah...

d.) The demon baby doodah he chucked off the cliff last time he went to Ravenscar - it ain't that easy to get rid of your negativity, Mister C.

The cross on the cover is nice emblem that may mean nothing but who knows. Manco's scratchy art was a bit much but I must say that his panel compositions were awesome - having read your complaints, I paid attention to the art moreso this time and it just made me notice the good things as well. Have already mentioned the cover in terms of the content, but this cover in particular is absolutely awesome.

Back to Ravenscar next month then. Ooooh.

Oooh. Just thought of...

e.) Diggle is about to get all Grant Morrision/Animal Man on us and the 'sneaky little [over-used word]' John can see in his reflection IS DIGGLE HIMSELF!! He can feel Andy maniupulating his behaviour and events around him :tongue:

Well I FUCKING NEVER GOT ISSUE 247 but I got this in the mail two days ago GODDAMMIT.

Anyway I actually like it a lot, agree with Venkman.

What John said.

A six.

Me too. John winning was enjoyable, but seemed rushed. The pub bit was nice, but I agree on the "dreamy" quality, which may have been intentional given the ending of the issue. I hope Diggle has something good in store for the reveal next issue.

As I said, I think the rushed victory and then Wayne's World style super-happy ending reunion with Chas are definitely deliberately easy and convenient like when we think it's all over but then Carrie's hand pops out of the ground. Rah etc!

If that isn't the case then obviously I think a bit less of the issue! Until then, I live in hope.

I'm with John (Venkman) on this. There's a stated surprise at the convenience with which the Mako business "ends".

It's not helped by the fact that we know this ends in one issue, but imagine for a moment if we didn't.

Let's have a poll about guessing the end !

What the...?

That read really weird, like we just skipped over six issues of the Mako story and went straight to the end.

Agreed. Personally I thought we might see the First of the Fallen, who's miffed at Mako getting his power from the damned. Or who would use Mako to get Constantine. But no.....now we've got Mako caged until he returns 50-odd issues from now, if ever.

Not a bad issue, but like you said, it's like the previous 6 issues don't mean anything. Come to think of it, the entire Mina run didn't mean anything either, but that's a different rant.

Oooh. Just thought of...

e.) Diggle is about to get all Grant Morrision/Animal Man on us and the 'sneaky little [over-used word]' John can see in his reflection IS DIGGLE HIMSELF!! He can feel Andy maniupulating his behaviour and events around him :tongue:

Damn, I didn't read this thread before posting in the "Who Could it Be Now?" thread. I wasn't trying to steal your stolen plot ideas, honest. I still have the original Diggle sticks it to us Hellblazer readers option in my favour.

John is obviously gone to the other side of the mirror. He exists in the Golden Boy's idyllic world, while the Golden Boy has escaped into the mainsteam DCU (or whever it is that John exists). This plot has been a long time in the making, as we can see now. Way back in the Red Right-Hand story-arc, we saw the subtle hint, when the red hand was on the left. We yelled at the editor, we blamed the artist, but now we realize the hidden meaning. Interesting work.

John is obviously gone to the other side of the mirror. He exists in the Golden Boy's idyllic world, while the Golden Boy has escaped into the mainsteam DCU (or whever it is that John exists). This plot has been a long time in the making, as we can see now. Way back in the Red Right-Hand story-arc, we saw the subtle hint, when the red hand was on the left. We yelled at the editor, we blamed the artist, but now we realize the hidden meaning. Interesting work.

:laugh: