JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Christian    805

Today was Free Comic Book Day....so why were all those comics a buck? Reminds me of those scams the free market and a free country. That market and country are fucking expensive!

So, what'd I get?

Well, out of what was left, I picked up:

Darkest Night #0-The big free release of the year, although it doesn't actually have anything to do with the cross-over (other than a mysterious last page with Black Hand). It's Green Lantern and Flash paying their last respects to Batman. There's a handy portfolio at the back to introduce all the different Lanterns for those of us who haven't been reading Green Lantern comics. I don't need to be buying more comics, so I won't be continuing this (well, not a lot to go on as far as Blackest Night except that the "dead will rise", but Jesus already prepared me for that), the writing was good.

I also picked up the Oni release, which was Resurrection by Marc Guggenheim.

The comic store was having an all comics in the boxes for a buck sale, so I picked up the entire Hellspawn series. Yeah, I know...but it was written by Bendis (before House of M) with art by Ashley Wood. Unfortumately, it also means that the book is a mess. Bendis can't write action scenes for anything at that point in his career and Wood's art is so pretty but don't try to figure out the story from looking at that art. Conversation scenes are great though. Bendis is in his element and Wood can make the mundane look exotic.

Plus, the Robbie Morrison run on Authority. Am I scraping the bottom of the barrel yet, trying to find some comics to read?

Plus, a few 1970s Marvel books to fill in some gaps.

sethos    5

I got my totally free copy pf the FCBD Fantagraphics special weeks ago, and it was all Love & Rockets. huzzah!

jaynova    1

OK...I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but I loved Phonogram 2, issue 2. This story arc, "The Singles Club," has 6 stand alone issues that take place in the same place at the same time, and when taken together have that whole "Different experiences of the same events = different stories" thing. Anyway, I reccomend this series, even if you hates "Rue Brittania".

Commence beating in 3...2...1...

League of Extraordinary Gentleman:Century 1910 (Whew!)

Decent fun, but I enjoyed the sourcebook style of Black Dossier far more.

Personally Raffles and Carneki feel flat as does their unbound League.

Haven't read the Minions of the Moon text just yet.

Christian    805

Where did you get that, Test?

The Alan Moore signing?

No comic shops here have it listed as being available yet.

A. Heathen    1,170
OK...I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but I loved Phonogram 2, issue 2. This story arc, "The Singles Club," has 6 stand alone issues that take place in the same place at the same time, and when taken together have that whole "Different experiences of the same events = different stories" thing. Anyway, I reccomend this series, even if you hates "Rue Brittania".

Commence beating in 3...2...1...

No, "1 - 2 - 3 - 4", actually.

I agree with you on this tale (so far) being worth a look, but then I enjoyed a lot more about Rue Britannia (just that one issue that left me puzzled, but I am not a fan of Luke Haines).

The overlapping and layering of the second issue brings in the right amount of new information and alternative P.O.V. stuff.

I am undecided about the majority of the back-up stories. Emma Viecelli's Kate Bush is lovely though.

Mark    333

The thing was, even those of us who absolutely hated Phonogram vol.1 really wanted to like it. That was what made it so frustrating, at least for me. So now you're making me want to give the second volume another chance - again, I already like a lot of the things I've heard about it - but...errm. We'll see.

jaynova    1
Seriously? Wait for the trade.

Although if you're interested in the back up stuff, it won't be in the trade.

JasonT    456

The backup stuff in volume 1 was largely responsible for my dislike of volume 1:

:wank:

So yeah, maybe wait for the trade. :wink:

Where did you get that, Test?

The Alan Moore signing?

No comic shops here have it listed as being available yet.

Yep.

God bless Gosh comics.

Plus Kevin O'Neil was there too, as were my issues of now signed Miracleman and it was a rare sunny London day too.

That put the extra skip in my step back home.

*Unfortunately The Beard still couldn't tell me how Supreme ended :blush: .

Christian    805

Daredevil: Noir #2-This has lost my interest. It's almost exactly the same as reading the monthly DD title.

The one scene which I really liked was Matt Murdoch laying in his rundown bedroom in Hell's Kitchen listening to the neighbour's fight. That was real. That realism is an aspect of Hell's Kitchen that isn't really portrayed in the Marvel universe book, even Frank Miller's run (although not surprising) lacked that true feel for what it's like to live in poverty in an inner-city area. Unfortunately, that was just one page of the entire book.

I also read that Fin Fang Four book. It was fun. I liked the Goom story the best I think, although the Curious Gorgilla text piece was pretty good, and the characterization given to Fin Fang Foom in the last story was nice, oh and the Elektro one was also damn funny. I was unable to even pick a true favourite, I guess.

St. Apathy    141
Daredevil: Noir #2-This has lost my interest. It's almost exactly the same as reading the monthly DD title.

The one scene which I really liked was Matt Murdoch laying in his rundown bedroom in Hell's Kitchen listening to the neighbour's fight. That was real. That realism is an aspect of Hell's Kitchen that isn't really portrayed in the Marvel universe book, even Frank Miller's run (although not surprising) lacked that true feel for what it's like to live in poverty in an inner-city area. Unfortunately, that was just one page of the entire book.

You, sir, are right.

The Boys #30

Why in fuck's name do I keep reading this shit?

St. Apathy    141

League v3 #1

Enjoyed it immensly. Loved Moore's rendition of Mack the Knife, though the alternate lyrics of Pirate Jenny somewhat less.

More to come following a second read.

Shawn    297

New Mutants #1 - Nice classic Alex Ross cover. The rest is crap. There is no point to the story, it has no weight. There is nothing to make me care about any of the characters, especially with them acting like a bunch "wankers" (that the right word?). Cannonball is a pompous bully. Magick is a cryptically moody, mean spirited bitch. Sunspot can't stand being a teacher. They are not the characters I remember from my youth or even from a few months ago. And the rest of them bore me to tears.

This is poorly done version of "getting the band back together" that tries way too hard to make the audience care.

I think I will take a friends advice and go read some New Mutants from back so I can about learn how good they were.

JasonT    456
New Mutants #1 - Nice classic Alex Ross cover. The rest is crap. There is no point to the story, it has no weight. There is nothing to make me care about any of the characters, especially with them acting like a bunch "wankers" (that the right word?).

Don't pretend you know nothing about it. :tongue:

Here's the Alex Ross cover, for anyone else who doesn't want the rest of the comic:

http://stormantic.files.wordpress.com/2009...new-mutants.jpg

Christian    805

They showed that as a preview in all of the Marvel books this past month. That was a nice cover.

Yes Shawn, do yourself a favour and hunt down those 1980s Chris Claremont New Mutants issues.

I think Claremont's New Mutants might possibly be even better than his X-Men. I wouldn't say it's too far to say that New Mutants was Claremont's best work.

I expected the book to fail because of fans familiar with the original series being horribly disappointed with this series (as there was no chance of this reaching Claremont New Mutants levels), but I guess Marvel realized this and didn't even bother to try to put together even an average New Mutants title. Way to subvert expectations, Marvel!

Belongs in the Trades thread, but since I'm here, I'm reading Godland vol. 1, Hello Cosmic from Joe Casey and non-Ladronn Jack Kirby guy #3. No, I kid, the art is nice.

I'm going to have to read further before I give a final review of the book though.

JasonT    456

Speaking of Kirby guys, they said somewhere that Mike Allred will become the regular cover artist on Jersey Gods. So that title sure knows how to service its market... the covers won't be going off-message like Biz on Hellblazer. :smile:

Shawn    297

New Mutants will definitely be on tap. And Scekiewinzks (too lazy to check) art is more than worth it.

Godland is all kinds of cool, trippy, cosmic action.

League v3 #1

Enjoyed it immensly. Loved Moore's rendition of Mack the Knife, though the alternate lyrics of Pirate Jenny somewhat less.

It's just personally a device I usually don't quite care for, so to have not one but two singing narratives didn't help me there.

Abhimanyu    20

Been reading the new GI Joe Origins stuff being put out by IDW as part of a nostalgia kick. Holy crap, I didn't remember how terrible Hama's writing can be!

I do hear the G I Joe: Cobra series is pretty good though. Will get to that next.

Also, Destroyer #1 was fun!

Lou K    1,097

I knwo how you feel, Abhimanyu. I was gonna pick up some Joe comics for old time's sake and I'm sort of glad I haven't. Didn't really work for Transformers or Battle of the Planets (not for me anyway).

I'll tell you what did work, though. Point Blank. The lcs put it in my pull box because he knows I want to read Sleeper. If this is any indication what Sleeper's all about then I really can't wait to get my hands on those trades.

Abhimanyu    20
I knwo how you feel, Abhimanyu. I was gonna pick up some Joe comics for old time's sake and I'm sort of glad I haven't. Didn't really work for Transformers or Battle of the Planets (not for me anyway).

I just read the first two issues of GI Joe: Cobra and they weren't too bad. Nothing brilliant but readable enough. It's a story from the POV of Chuckles as he goes deep cover within a Cobra cell. Enjoyable enough so far.