JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Thunderbolts #128-Obama makes a second appearance in a comic book this month. Is he going to be a regular character in the Marvel Universe now? Are they going to have an Obama comic book soon?

Really good story showing the pure manipulation of Osbourne's twisted mind.

Really interesting picks for the new Thunderbolts team, or so I think.

Well having had Osborn's New Avengers revealed

(Bullseye is Hawkeye, Venom is Spiderman, Wolverine's son is well Wolverine, Moonstone is Ms Marvel and Osborn himself is the new Iron Man/Captain America),

who else do you thinks going to be on the Thunderbolts?

I'm guessing Deadpool will be one.

A. Heathen    1,125

Hey Rohne

are you going to Orbital opening sale on Saturday?

Got family visits going on but could perhaps meet up with Starmans at an earlier juncture?

Christian    735

Superman Beyond is only up to issue 2?

Is that a joke?

If not, it's only a two-parter.

It was running a few weeks late because it was supposed to ship before Final Crisis #6, but otherwise, there was meant to be a hiatus between issues while Morrison churned out some other Final Crisis junk.

Christian    735
Thunderbolts #128-Obama makes a second appearance in a comic book this month. Is he going to be a regular character in the Marvel Universe now? Are they going to have an Obama comic book soon?

(Bullseye is Hawkeye, Venom is Spiderman, Wolverine's son is well Wolverine, Moonstone is Ms Marvel and Osborn himself is the new Iron Man/Captain America),

Deadpool would seem to fit the mould (or at least with two of the three characters revealed this issue), but it's been more B-list characters who don't have their own books who seem to be filling up the roster, so Deadpool might be too big a name.

I'm not really making Deadpool out as a character based on the cover.

It shows the complete team roster on the cover of this issue, but they're either in shadows or completely new character designs, so it's hard to make out anyone, distinctively.

Ah. Your spoiler explains a lot to me. I was wondering where all the old cast went since I thought the names you mention were all going to be staying after the first two-parter.

Mark    332
Superman Beyond is only up to issue 2?

Is that a joke?

If not, it's only a two-parter.

It was running a few weeks late because it was supposed to ship before Final Crisis #6, but otherwise, there was meant to be a hiatus between issues while Morrison churned out some other Final Crisis junk.

Given that Final Crisis #6 was also delayed, though, and that Superman Beyond was originally supposed to be a one-shot shipping between FC#2 & 3 (I think...possibly #4 & 5), that's more than a little damning.

Christian    735

Well, I'll give you that. I didn't know all the facets.

I think what is truly damning is that Morrison is so behind schedule and he's managing to churn out the worst work of his career. If it's going to run late, it should at least be worth the wait (All-Star Superman). I can't see how a writer the caliber of Morrison can't churn stuff like this out over a long night with some mescaline.

I guess there were artist problems on Final Crisis (seeing as how there's more than one artist working on the book now), but that doesn't really explain all the delayed Morrison projects will unrelated artists.

dogpoet    443

He shook hands with Warren Ellis at a convention the other year, and was infested by Ellis' legendary tardy-writing nannites.

Shawn    297

Speaking of Morrison......

from Hannibul Tabu's column on comicbookresources.com:

Despite Hercules' assertation, "It's time to man up!" "Mighty Avengers" #21 did not get the job done with a confusing story about magic and vengeance and teleporting and sudden reappearances and ... it was almost as if this issue was written by Grant Morrison.

And to think a statement like that is now considered a negative criticism.

Anyway, Tabu could not be more wrong about that issue.

Hey Rohne

are you going to Orbital opening sale on Saturday?

Got family visits going on but could perhaps meet up with Starmans at an earlier juncture?

Shit I'm working, I'm off Sunday, Monday though?

Sorry about the palava.

Christian    735

Despite Hercules' assertation, "It's time to man up!" "Mighty Avengers" #21 did not get the job done with a confusing story about magic and vengeance and teleporting and sudden reappearances and ... it was almost as if this issue was written by Grant Morrison.

Agreed. The review is totally wrong.

It had a classic feel of the original Stan Lee Avengers, but was also fresh without a purely nostalgic feel. I, personally, could not ask for anything better than that combination in an Avengers book.

But, wow! That's a far cry from the days when comparing someone to Morrison was the highest praise possible in comics. How far thou art fallen O Lucifer, son of morning.

I think that's unfair though. Sure, his Batman and Final Crisis projects have been awful, but they follow on the heels of some of the greatest work of the 2000s in comics with All-Star Superman, and I loved the Superman Beyond portion of Final Crisis events.

It's not as if he's hit Jeph Loeb levels as of yet, and it's not as if Loeb ever had the credibility or ability of Morrison even before he hit "comic readers are dopes who will buy anything if it's hyped well enough" mode. Morrison gave us years of the most imaginative and genius stories to ever grace the medium.

Warren Ellis went through a down period a few years back where I found his work totally unreadable, but for the most part, he rebounded well.

dogpoet    443

I was thinking more of Ellis' allergy to meeting deadlines than anything else.

Shawn    297

Agreed. The review is totally wrong.

It had a classic feel of the original Stan Lee Avengers, but was also fresh without a purely nostalgic feel. I, personally, could not ask for anything better than that combination in an Avengers book.

But, wow! That's a far cry from the days when comparing someone to Morrison was the highest praise possible in comics. How far thou art fallen O Lucifer, son of morning.

I think that's unfair though. Sure, his Batman and Final Crisis projects have been awful, but they follow on the heels of some of the greatest work of the 2000s in comics with All-Star Superman, and I loved the Superman Beyond portion of Final Crisis events.

It's not as if he's hit Jeph Loeb levels as of yet, and it's not as if Loeb ever had the credibility or ability of Morrison even before he hit "comic readers are dopes who will buy anything if it's hyped well enough" mode. Morrison gave us years of the most imaginative and genius stories to ever grace the medium.

Warren Ellis went through a down period a few years back where I found his work totally unreadable, but for the most part, he rebounded well.

Yeah, Morrison has a great deal of leeway for giving me; All-Star Superman, Doom Patrol, New X-Men (most of), Animal Man, Arkham Asylum, Seven Soldiers of Victory, JLA, and the Invisibles (assuming I ever finish it). Long ways to go.

Jeph Loeb gave me Daredevil: Yellow and Batman: Long Halloween. Nothing springs to mind of his that I either did not care about or I felt like tossing in the trash.

Christian    735

Daredevil: Yellow I just found ok.

I'll easily give you Batman: The Long Halloween, but that was the old Loeb.

I'm thinking of his Batman:Hush, Wolverine, and now Ultimates 3 and Hulk. All trash, in my eyes. Maybe there were more, but those were all mega level comics and I found them all unreadable, and most reviews feel the same way as I do about latter Loeb.

He actually gave an interview where he stated, "If I can spend less time on a project, let the art carry the workload for me, and everyone is still going to read it, why should I put extra time into comics?". Just utter disregard for the comic reading public, but his words are true, as fans ate up every one of those in big numbers, so I guess he knows who the audience is and I'm just deluding myself.

Deadpool would seem to fit the mould (or at least with two of the three characters revealed this issue), but it's been more B-list characters who don't have their own books who seem to be filling up the roster, so Deadpool might be too big a name.

I'm not really making Deadpool out as a character based on the cover.

It shows the complete team roster on the cover of this issue, but they're either in shadows or completely new character designs, so it's hard to make out anyone, distinctively.

Ah. Your spoiler explains a lot to me. I was wondering where all the old cast went since I thought the names you mention were all going to be staying after the first two-parter.

Of the other four remaining unidentified team members on the cover, I believe that the man on the far left is

Paladin

I'm quessing that

Deadpool

will be the clownfaced member with the AK-47 on his shoulder.

JasonT    439
He shook hands with Warren Ellis at a convention the other year, and was infested by Ellis' legendary tardy-writing nannites.

Presumably when you say "shook hands" you mean some sort of Bluetooth interfacing.

Hmm... not worth posting, really.

dogpoet    443

Wetware interface, Jason: the tardy writing nanites are transmitted through human sweat. (Ellis has a backup bluetooth system, but I don't think Morrison has any fillings to receive the transmissions with...)

Shawn    297

Spawn #188-The story..............is.........................moving......................slow..

................. :mad:

There was lots of boring exposition and little else happening. Decompressive storytelling at its worst. At least the art has improved at bit. Oddly, there is a small part of me that wants to stick with it to see what how this new Spawn fairs.

Brave & The Bold #19-22 - Really enjoying this team up of GL and Phantom Stranger on an alien planet battling the Purge, which has mysterious ties to an Earth girl. There is even an appearance by Green Arrow.

Ghost Rider #31 - League of Ghost Riders unite! This was mostly setup for the big showdown next issue. Oh yeah there is a picture of a Ghost Rider, from who knows where, that rides a great white shark. Awesome! I demand a mini-series or one-shot of this guy.

Balthazar    167

I really don't know why I keep buying Spawn after they dropped Hine from writing. It's so damn slow and dull and I hate the fact that Al killed himself. Whatever.

And still haven't picked up the new Brave and the Bold! Ugh! :(

Shawn    297

I like the idea of Al being dead and the mantle of Hellspawn being passed on to someone new. It fits with the nature of the character.

HOWEVER, the execution of that idea has kind of sucked.

Balthazar    167

The reason I'm so annoyed with Al's death is that he seems as if he's just given up in trying to redeem himself and finding his humanity. If you've been reading since the last relaunch, around 166, Hine started building on that. He brought back Nyx, Al's witch girlfriend from a lil while before and Al found it in himself to forgive her for her previous betrayal. Then there was a scene where she accepted him after he tells her what he did to Wanda in the past and she then has a scene where she tries to show Al that he's still human and helps turn one of his hands into a human hand. After that Al meets his other brothers and we go into the past and discover more disgusting things about Al since he was younger and we find out his mother sold Al's soul to Mammon to become a Hellspawn before Al was born. There were a lot of stuff being setup throughout that short run in trying to get Al to finally gain his humanity after 150 issues only for it to be shrugged and tossed aside for this crappy new storyline.