JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Christian    735

^I don't believe I have.

is anyone getting those Dark Horse Presents 80 pagers? I'm thinking of picking them up, but i wondered if they were any good.

I got the first one because it featured a Harlan Ellison short story.

The Ellison story ended up being three pages long...

I wouldn't. They're terribly over-priced, especially for what they offer. There's nothing that you'll kick yourself for not reading in there.

Shawn    297

The Rocketeer Adventures - This book is pulp adventure perfection. It's an anthology collection with great short stories and pin ups by some of the top creators in the business. This issue had a story by Mark Waid & Chris Weston that had some meta-commentary on comic books vs pulp heroes. Another story by Darwyn Cooke feature Betty as she saves Cliff's butt from some Fifth Columnists. The last story by Lowelle Francis & Gene Ha shows our hero fighting an armored & heavily armed villian with narration by way of a boxing match. There is also a fantastic unnamed cameo by another famous pulp hero that also hints at the Rocketeer's origins. And there's a pin-up by Geoff Darrow.

Avaunt    274

Defoe, by Pat Mills with art by Leigh Gallagher.

Oh brave new world, that has such Gonzo art in it.

That was a lot of fun, I can't recomment the art highly enough, and the crazy inventive writing is sublime.

Shawn    297

Usagi Yojimbo #138 - The wrap up to the Red Scorpian tale finishes fantastically! Just the start, with Usagi showing a corrupt fencing school instructor just how good he really is with a sword, is all worth the price of the comic. What follows is a great whirlwind adventure as the real Red Scorpian is revealed. The rabbit ronin, of course comes out on top, but in the end must perform a honored and grisly service to a sensei hoping to regain honor.

A. Heathen    1,125

Drums #1 and #2

Written by El Torres and art by Abe Hernando.

The first issue is perhaps coloured too dark, but the story merits it, so far a simple noirish tale of reanimation and Santeria. Worth checking out I'd say.

I have Creepy #6 to read too.

I used to get some of what these offer from the Hellblazer comics.

dogpoet    443

^I don't believe I have.

You did, but you don't remember doing so because you were being mind controlled by Mephisto at the time.

Have you never read a Busiek issue of Ghost Rider?

:tongue:

Lou K    1,054

I want to pick that up...does it matter if one does not read any other Flushpoint titles?

Maritimus    16

I want to pick that up...does it matter if one does not read any other Flushpoint titles?

You don't need to know any other Flashpoint titles, it only involves the Batman universe, although an alternative version of it. And it is pretty good indeed.

Christian    735

Elric:The Balance Lost-Wow, that's just plain bad. That's by far the worst Michael Moorcock project that's ever been written.

I'm really sick of these homogenous comics. I shouldn't be feeling like I'm reading the new Godzilla comic book when I'm reading an Elric comic book. It's just ludicrous that anyone can even write that sentence with a straight face, but somehow, in today's comic market, we've reached the point of such total mediocrity, generic writing, and self-importance that I have trouble telling a Godzilla plot from an Elric plot.

I can't believe Moorcock approved of this. Sad....

The best part of the issue was the afterword written by Gaiman, but I'd hope that no one reading a Multiverse story for the first time gets the idea that this travesty bears any relation upon Moorcock's stories.

Against my better judgment, I also picked up the second issue of Secret Seven.

Hey, look, there's the return of Amethyst...Oh, that was the return of Amethyst?

What exactly is meant to be the point of this series?

$old....gonna go look for it at the LCS today.

Batman (I'm not sure if you know this series twist on him yet) is also the co protagonist in the main Geoff Johns Flashpoint series.

I think all he major plot Batman revelations fall into the first two issues of Flashpoint and it would definitely enhance the Azzerello mini.

Ergo I'd at least pick up those two issues.

While on the subject of Flashpoint, issue 3 is another solid Johns read and the alternate take on Superman is great fun, but the almost premature knowledge of the DC reboot has personally taken much of the wind out of the sails ending wise.

The oh-it's-just-another-alternative-world-tale-so-what's-really-at-stake question at Flashpoint's beginning may have been too thoroughly answered.

Still I had faith John's would do more than just another what if series in the beginning, so perhaps I should maintain it regarding the potential to still be surprised.

Lou K    1,054

Well, they were sold out of the 1st issue of Batman so I passed. Maybe I'll get the trade or try another shop by me.

Avaunt    274

Dark Avengers, issues one to six.

Very enjoyable. More so than I have found most "Good guy" ensembles recently.

Dark Avengers, issues one to six.

Very enjoyable. More so than I have found most "Good guy" ensembles recently.

Did you read Warren Ellis 12 issue Thunderbolts run that sets ups the Dark Avengers and a few of the Marvels events?

Good fun, and featured the same artist too.

Avaunt    274

Not yet mate, I will certainly do so. Yeah, the artwork in the DA series was pretty good, not quite up to Fables best work, but well worth the library card useage.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Lou make sure you don't inadvertently look at the cover for the 3rd Dark Knight Flashpoint issue. Spoilers ahoy.

Trace    0

Detective Comics #879

Yet another solid issue from Snyder & Francavilla (I still can't believe I've heard multiple Batman fans slag off his art, it is excellent). The Jim Gordon Jr. story picks up, no doubt rushing to its conclusion before the impending REBOOT OF EVERYTHING THAT WILL FOREVER CHANGE EVERYTHING UNTIL IT NO LONGER DOES.

A-

Mystery Men #3

Still fun with good writing and art. If you liked any of Marvel's Noir books or The Twelve or old-timey superhero fun and intrigue, check this LS out.

B+

FF #6

An entire issue setting up the next issue in which we learn just how Black Bolt has come back to life, featuring less-than-good art. Total filler issue.

C-

Lil' Depressed Boy #5

Really fun series that hits all the expected notes-- this may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your tastes. The current mood of the character is so perfectly captured throughout the issue and I like where the story is heading.

A-

Christian    735

I love the Tibetan monk and hot dog vendor joke in the Defenders one-shot (written by Busiek).

I read it to my girlfriend and she laughed at it too.

A. Heathen    1,125

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Lou make sure you don't inadvertently look at the cover for the 3rd Dark Knight Flashpoint issue. Spoilers ahoy.

It's only an Elseworlds, what else were they going to do?

Avaunt    274

This latest issue of Matt Fractions Thor was excellent art, but the story seems to be marking time, Seen all this before. I mean, it was cool, but I look to his writing to be more than cool.