JasonT

Other comics we read recently

22 hours ago, Christian said:

Kid Lobotomy #1 (by Peter Milligan)-This is worth checking out the second issue. Milligan seems to be trying too hard to recapture his run on Shade, at times. Still, looking back to one of Milligan's best comic works isn't the worst thing that Milligan has done. There are some interesting things going on in the book, outside of Milligan (and Shelley Bond) trying to recapture past magic. The references to Franz Kafka are certainly intriguing (the phone call scene), and the Dr. Burroughs' cut-up technique brain surgery is some fun word-play from a writer who excelled at that sort of thing in his earlier comic work.

It's nice to see that Milligan has recovered so well from the trauma of his run on Hellblazer....

Also, next issue of Jeff Lemire's Sherlock Frankenstein will feature the origin story of Cthu-Lou. he he

I tried Kid Lobotomy # 1, won't be back for Kid Lobotomy # 2.  I enjoyed Milligan's Shade, hell I even dug a lot of his Hellblazer up to a point, but KL just read like nonsense to me.  It was like he was just throwing every random thought he had against the page without cutting out the detritus.  Detestable comic and not a good indicator of what Black Crown is going to be serving us.  I wasn't much looking forward to Shelly Bond's imprint anyway, especially when you've got Karen Berger setting up a near-identical shop across the street at Dark Horse in the near future that looks so much more promising.  

Christian    734

I'm not seeing a lot more promise from the Black Crown imprint. Kid Lobotomy looked like the best book from the bunch.

It's a hyper comic book, to be sure, but I thought there was enough underlying premise worth looking in to that made it worth a second look.

I felt he was trying too hard to make people think about different takes he had done on his Shade book. I felt that was a major drawback.

I don't know, Grant Morrison's comics are often just him throwing random ideas on the page, and then trying to sort through the wreckage for ideas worth pursuing further. I expected that Milligan would end up going in that direction as the series progresses. It can't keep going at this level of irreverence for an entire series, but I thought there was enough ideas worth pursuing to see if the second issue is an improvement.

I'm not seeing anything from Karen Berger's imprint that looks any better either. Even the Anne Nocenti comic (who is usually one of my favourites), I will have zero interest in if it's just another parable about the Donald Trump presidency.

dogpoet    442
On 20/10/2017 at 6:39 PM, Christian said:

I don't know, Grant Morrison's comics are often just him throwing random ideas on the page, and then trying to sort through the wreckage for ideas worth pursuing further. I expected that Milligan would end up going in that direction as the series progresses. It can't keep going at this level of irreverence for an entire series, but I thought there was enough ideas worth pursuing to see if the second issue is an improvement.

I thought he'd stopped doing that twenty odd years ago and his stuff has been a lot more structured and plotted out since the late '90s?

Christian    734

I'd say Morrison still does it quite a bit, and some of that work is the better for it. Some of his better structured work doesn't really stand out as being all that great....Klaus, Avatarex, Joe the Barbarian, Wonder Woman (off the top of my head)....

I was disappointed by all of the above, because they read like they were written by writers other than Morrison.

Meanwhile, things like Superman Beyond or some of the issues of Multiversity had the same insanity to his earlier work, and they stand out as better reading experiences than his more clearly plotted out books.

dogpoet    442

Oh, come off it, Christian. Multiversity was a very tightly structured narrative, it just wasn't structured around a linear plot. 

Christian    734

The Multiversity series as a whole, yes. You'll notice I said "some issues of Multiversity", not Multiversity as a series.

I'm thinking of the first issue of the book (Multiversity #1), where Morrison just seemed to throw a bunch of random ideas in to the story, going at a mile a second.

There's certainly a coherent plot hiding beneath the chaos of Milligan's Kid Lobotomy. I was making the comparison more to the fact that Morrison would throw random ideas at the page and then boil the story down to something more tightly structured as the series went along.

Compare that to Morrison's less ambitious projects (such as Klaus) where Morrison only uses one real idea and shapes up a linear plot, with one  barebones cohesive narrative.

At its heart, Kid Lobotomy is the story of a failed son of a very rich, judgmental man who is getting his chance to make his father proud by being given the chance to make his father's hotel in to something profitable, while his scheming sister thinks that she deserves this opportunity and will do what she can to derail any of her bother's chances to have success. The hotel has deep sentimental attachment to the main character, due to his childhood memories. Mix in the backstory of said brother having mental health issues in the past and undergoing a radical new type of therapy, and his dealing with this as he attempts to run this hotel.

Imagine that plot being written by William S. Burroughs, where there is a ton of other stuff being thrown at the page, and that's Kid Lobotomy.

The main plot isn't all that interesting, by itself. I expect to see Milligan pare down his ideas in to something coherent and more tightly structured as the series goes on.