JasonT

Other comics we read recently

5 minutes ago, Ixnay by Night said:

I'm a huge Bond fan, and that first Ellis arc was really excellent, but for some reason I didn't keep up with the series after that. 

I think for me I just assumed it would be traded later. Those issues always felt a little thin for 4 bucks. But loved the Vargr story

1 hour ago, Lou K said:

I think for me I just assumed it would be traded later. Those issues always felt a little thin for 4 bucks. But loved the Vargr story

They all have been traded, haven't they?  I know Ellis' second arc, "Eidolon" (and boy does he love to re-use names like that) had a hardcover release like "Vargr", I just never picked it up. 

Yeah for $17 it’s not bad but i’d Prefer a cheaper softcover. 

Yeah I️ did get a chuckle at the title. I️ think he changed a vowel to make it seem he didn’t just do that. But he did. He did just do that. 

• Upvote 1

Just gone through an oddity: a Trina Robbins adaptation of Tanith Lee's The Silver Metal Lover as a comic. Robin's gloriously and elegantly clean linework is exquisite, but I'm not sure it entirely works as a comic. Beautiful to look at, though.

On 11/12/2017 at 2:46 PM, Ixnay by Night said:

I knew he had a run on Ultimate Fantastic Four, but as I'm as likely to read a FF book as I am to light myself on fire for the fun of it, I've not read it.

Why the disgust with Fantastic Four, Ixnay? Is that all FF, or just the fact that the book has been so bad so often?

Because, when FF has the right writer, it is one of the best examples of the super-science genre out of all comic books.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby is one of the quintessential mainstream comic book reading experiences.

I can understand if maybe you're one of those comic readers who find Silver Age books dated, and can't read them.

Then, there's the John Byrne run, the Mark Waid run, the Jonathan Hickman run (all must read!)....and when the regular FF book was nigh-unreadable for so many years, Mike Carey had a nice run on Ultimate FF which was far better than anything from 616-FF between the Waid and Hickman runs.

There was also an incredibly fun abbreviated Walt Simonson run (not sure if it's even ever been collected), and I'm a fan of the Gerry Conway run from the '70s, but yeah, outside of that, there's nothing else worth reading from the history of FF.

I have a Fantastic Four: Visionaries of the first half of Simonson's run, but I have no idea whether they collected the rest of it or not. You'd think that would be perfect for one of those Epic collections they've phased out the Essentials for, as well.

The Fantastic Four is just one of those concepts that has never managed to interest me, no matter how many times I've attempted to get into it.  I was a kid when Byrne was doing the FF, and though I read it off and on it wasn't something like Claremont's X-Men or Stern's Avengers that I was always excited to read; I tried Simonson's run, and outside of the "New FF" arc with Art Adams it couldn't hold my interest either.  I have the same feelings about the FF that I do about Superman and Wonder Woman: I get why people like them, sure, but they're just not for me.  :shrug:

Man, I can't imagine anyone not loving this story from Simonson's run....It was what Grant Morrison on FF should have been like, instead of the middling and dull Fantastic Four: 1,2,3,4.

Fantastic Four (1961 1st Series) 352

I was always puzzled that they insisted Morrison wrote a slightly tiresome "adult" Max FF series, rather than just letting him take over the main title for a story or two. Who was doing it back then, Claremont and Larocca? That was hardly a stand out run...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Claremont and Larocca at the time. Of course, Mark Waid took over the book after Claremont, and I am certainly not going to complain about getting one of the truly perfect iterations of FF.

Maybe Morrison wasn't interested in writing anything other than a mini-series, due to his commitment to writing X-Men. Besides which, while it couldn't have ended up any worse than the Claremont run, if Morrison was going to do "dark 'n' gritty" FF, instead of Imaginauts, it really wasn't a great loss.

Well yeah, but at that point Morrison was obviously rather fed up of the whole dark'n'gritty thang, so that might have been imposed on 1234 by editorial in order to Max it up a bit, rather than being something he actually wanted to do with the FF, and it's not inconceivable that this is the reason that one wasn't up to the standard of his X men run and Marvel Boy.

20 hours ago, Christian said:

Man, I can't imagine anyone not loving this story from Simonson's run....It was what Grant Morrison on FF should have been like, instead of the middling and dull Fantastic Four: 1,2,3,4.

Fantastic Four (1961 1st Series) 352

Is that the issue where Richards and Doom are skipping through time, and there's a counter letting you know which panels to read sequentially?  I did dig the hell out of that issue, simply for Simonson's fantastic storytelling gimmick.  Simonson probably came the closest to making me care about the FF, now that I think about it, because I liked his "Acts of Vengeance" 3-part tie-in arc as well.  And that "New FF" story with Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hulk, and Ghost Rider was flat-out brilliant.

Grant Morrison's Animal Man run.  So I'm enjoying it, I'm almost done with it and really enjoying how he basically took the idea of him being a super hero and slowly introduced new takes on the concept. Specially the hints of things that he laid down in the first trade being explained better in the latter trades. 

If I get some more cash, I'll probably check out his Doom Patrol stuff too. 

For Christmas I got the "Uber Alles Edition" of Stray Bullets, a massive paperback which collects the entire original Stray Bullets by David Lapham series.

I've read the first few issues of Stray Bullets a few years back as well as the sequel mini-series Killers, but this was the first time binging the entirety of the original series. And it was very much worth the hours spent going through all 1000+ pages.

A damn fine read. Loved how each issue can work stand-alone but still contributes to an overarching story.

(the last issue did feel a bit anti-climatic to me as far as an ending goes, I wonder how it felt to people who had waited for nearly ten years for Lapham to finish it?)

That is a most excellent cover, makes me want to fire up the intro from the Monkees on Youtube.

In fact, I just did, 49 seconds very well spent.

Anyway, I'm rereading the Age Of Apocalypse crossover at the moment - it's very, very stupid and dumb but also exactly what I want from a big superhero event.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:01 AM, JohnMcMahon said:

That is a most excellent cover, makes me want to fire up the intro from the Monkees on Youtube.

In fact, I just did, 49 seconds very well spent.

Anyway, I'm rereading the Age Of Apocalypse crossover at the moment - it's very, very stupid and dumb but also exactly what I want from a big superhero event.

Age of Apocalypse is brilliant, it's like this sprawling apex of comic book crossovers, where things still fit together really damn well and each series is engaging on its own terms while still being part of a whole.  Compared to detritus like Secret Invasion and Secret Empire, AoA is rad.  It may be depressing as fuck, but it's still fun to read at the same time.  That Generation Next tie-in remains one of my favorite superhero comic endings just due to how damn bleak it was.

Yes, there's a lot to commend Age of Apocalypse. It's certainly in the top two or three Marvel cross-overs (nothing is going to beat Inferno, for mine). Generation Next was excellent, and Warren Ellis contributed the X-Calibre tie-in. At the very least, it had those two series going for it, but the whole thing tied together quite well. Weapon X was probably the only weak link in the entire event, and it wasn't outright terrible.

It was certainly a lot better than that Onslaught foolishness a year or two later...

I think I bought the Legion collection.

How does this work? What's the one that Mike Carey wrote?

Hmm, maybe I didn't buy it. Unless I sent it to the wrong address. I looked at it in the shop and the later art is distressing.

Meanwhile, I found some bags of old comics that I must have brought from my Dad's last year.

The Lost (Andreyko, Showman, Geldhof) 

Squalor (Petrucha)

Empty Love Stories #1 (Steve Darnall, various artists) which reminds me to recommend Twisted Romance anthology, a weekly burst of fun)

And... wait for it ... Ethan Van Sciver's Cyberfrog !
How times have changed.

If you're a fan of James Bond or political comics, do yourself a favour and make sure to read James Bond: The Body, written by Ales Kot. The second issue just shipped this week, and it's a masterpiece. Kot works his political magic on the character of James Bond. This one is going to be showing up on my list of best single-issue stories of the year.

I'm not a fan of the James Bond character, so I enjoy this sort of deconstruction of the character by Kot. However, I did greatly enjoy the Ellis run on Bond, because it was Ellis. Well, The Body is topping what I enjoyed about Ellis' run.

The current-era James Bond comics have generally been solid stuff. I'd like to see an arc by Brubaker and, say, Michael Lark, or someone else who does traditional newspaper-strip artwork.

Read the first Witch Doctor trade, 's pretty good, plenty of potential - Penny Dreadful (ugh, awful name) in particular is a character I want to learn more about.  Here she is anaesthetising someone for the good doctor -

2512967-pen.jpg

There's some fun background stuff at the end, old character sketches and the like which reveal that she was original decked out in a Suicide Girls-esque nun outfit which would've ruined both the character and comic as a whole so good shout going for the creepy hoody look instead.