JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Christian    781

It is Marvel's fault, but DC went through a similar phase just after Identity Crisis. DC had the good sense to realize that it needed to course correct, with the post-Infinite Crisis DCU. There are a lot of comic books that were published in the early-2000s, which seemed to be an interesting new direction for superhero comics to follow at that time, but looking back on those comics, their stories are pretty embarrassing.

It's the pseudo-mature version of what superheroes should be, and I guess it appealed well to my age demographic, being in my mid-20s in the early-2000s. The books do not hold up well, and they're nothing like the mature versions of what superheroes could be written during the 1980s, which I feel still hold up very well, no matter if my age is pre-teen (as in the 1980s), mid-20s, or today over age 40.

It's also the fans fault for continuing to support books like Identity Crisis and Civil War. Although, as I said, it's all in hindsight. It's years later that you heard fans complaining about how bad Civil War messed up the Marvel Universe, and the negative effect it has had on Marvel Comics, where the characters are no longer ones that most people even care to read about. However, at the time, the books got rave reviews and their sales were very healthy. It's easy to see why the message came across that "Civil War is what fans are looking for", considering that people were rushing out to buy Civil War at the time.

I realized at the time that both books were junk, and dropped them both. It's also on Meltzer that Identity Crisis wasn't all that well written. It's mostly a bunch of shock moments strung together on a bare-bones plot, which is meant to deconstruct the last vestiges left over for superhero characters after the Moore/Miller literary take on the genre from the 1980s. DC acting like this MTV version of Watchmen was equivalent to Moore or Miller's work was their fault too, although you can't blame DC Comics for marketing one of their top books.

dogpoet    487

That may well be true, but it doesn't alter the fact that blaming the way Marvel fucked itself up on Brad Meltzer rather than Mark Millar is ridiculous bullshit.

Christian    781

Mark Millar wants to be a New York Times best-selling author. He once wanted to be Grant Morrison, but realized that took talent and energy, then he realized it was easier and paid better to be a no talent writer who ruins everything he touches, and latched on to the idea of recreating himself as Brad Meltzer. It all adds up.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,083

Ouch.Someone get Mark Millar to the ICU cause he just got SCORCHED

• Upvote 1

JohnMcMahon    587

Millar put the work in and has reaped the rewards, not going to begrudge him his success - the first Kiss Ass movie was fun, at least.  His over reliance on rape back in the day would be the only thing I'd grumble on.  Oh and letting Grant Morrison ghost write an issue of The Authority for him.

Christian    781

Well, he's in the same boat as Brian Bendis. Fans really seem to love those guys, even though I don't understand it. They've both done some good work in their careers (Bendis towards the first-half of his), but they're not names I want to read. Comic books are a business, and the bottom line is that sales figures do matter, and if Bendis or Millar's names add extra sales to a book, then I understand that a comic company would want to use them on their books. It doesn't mean I have anything good to say about their work though.

Comic book fans are a fickle lot. They loved Civil War when it was first coming out and bought it up. Then, years later, they complain about the negative impact it has had on Marvel Comics and the concept of superheroes. Yet, as Dog says, he'd place a lot of the blame for Civil War on Mark Millar, but the fans still seem to have a lot of love for Millar. So, go figure.

dogpoet    487

I'd certainly place more of the blame for it on Miller than I would on Brad Meltzer: generally the person who wrote most of something is more culpable for the stuff that's wrong with it than somebody else who didn't write any of it.

Christian    781

I wasn't pointing the finger at Meltzer when I say "a lot of the blame for Civil War", I was also indicating that Marvel Comics needs to take a lot of the blame, not just Millar.

Meltzer should just get the blame for as much of what goes wrong as is possible. I personally blame Meltzer for the "war on terror" and Donald Trump's election too. Is that fair? Perhaps not, but can you prove that Meltzer's mere existence on this mortal plane hasn't been responsible for these events?

dogpoet    487

I think you're mistaken: the two latter events are both clearly Dan Brown's fault.

(Or perhaps just the first is Dan Brown and the second is EL James' work...)

Christian    781

Yeah, but the problem is that Meltzer isn't even as original as Brown (and everyone knows just how original Brown is). Meltzer's career started after Brown.

Perhaps for such horrors of the 21st century, it was always needed that there would be a Meltzer and Brown co-existing in the same universe at the same time point. The ripples from that once in an eternity mistake have surely led to a near-apocalyptic scenario in our time-line.

The only solution would be to channel either Meltzer or Brown to an alternate reality, before the harm increases more exponentially.

I'll grant you that EL James has done a lot of irreparable harm, that the results are just beginning to be correlated and connected. It's far too soon to know just how far reaching the harmful effects of James' damage has funneled out in to the multiverse.

JasonT    450

Today I learned that Christopher Priest and Jim Owsley are the same person. :blink:

dogpoet    487

He changed his name for religious reasons or something, didn't he?

JasonT    450

According to Wikipedia, yes. (For certain values of "religious reasons or something".)

Christian    781

He changed his name because he wanted to be mistaken for a very talented British writer.

Is it evil in some religion to share a name that is similar to a certain flying creature of the night (no, not the Marvel religion in reference to Batman)? Well, I know there's all those conspiracy theories about links to Athena from Greek mythology and the "Illuminati" nonsense....

I always found it odd how the letter's pages in comics would play very coy with the fact that Owsley changed his name and was now Priest. They acted like they didn't want to share any information with the readers about the name change. I still don't understand the seeming secrecy.