JasonT

Other comics we read recently

That's the story with the House of Mystery burning down, isn't it?

Bran-That would be about the point where Caitlin R. Kiernan took over as regular writer then, ending the anthology format for the comic. That was the point where I felt the book grew much less interesting. I kept reading the Dreaming until the final issue, for completest reasons, but it was a chore reading it as Kiernan continued on as the sole writer.

I'll take Kiernan's haute gothery over the couple of turds Bill Willingham squeezed out as a dry run for Fables any day, frankly.

OK....Well, I'll take Bill Willingham's Fables any day over Howard Mackie....if we're going to go with non-sequiturs. I'm not sure how Willingham follows on from a discussion about the Dreaming, but whatever.

Willingham's Dreaming abominations took place after Kiernan was in place as the series' regular writer.

The breathtakingly shitawful #55, and I think that stupid Merv Pumpkinhead special was a Dreaming Special rather than a Sandman Presents thing as well.

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread your post as saying you preferred Kiernan's Dreaming to Fables. I forgot that Willingham had written some issues of the Dreaming.

Yes, those were quite bad as well, but they were still just two issues. Kiernan's flaws were hidden by the anthology format of the Dreaming, but when she was writing almost every issue, it showed how little she had to offer the title. When it was an anthology book, at least if the author was sub-par, they were only on the book for a short period.

The Seeds #1-I've missed Anne Nocenti. This is what Berger Books should have been about, as this is the first of that line which really stands out as something special. There were some issues I had with the writing (did Nocenti really need to use the word "fuck" every other word? I don't have a problem with that word, in the least, but it seemed like Nocenti was trying to make the book seem more "mature" by using such a "dirty word" over and over. OK, we got it. Fuck!). OK, those are minor quibbles I had with the comic. Otherwise, this story reminded me quite a bit of a John Brunner story, which is high praise, as I love Brunner. I believe this is going to be a stand-out comic worthy of consideration at the end of the year.

In case anyone is interested, here are some up-coming comic series which look interesting:

Paul Jenkins will be returning to write comics with another series from AfterShock called Beyonders (not the Marvel character, no). It's described as a conspiracy thriller involving crop circles. I believe this one will be out this month (August).

There's been quite a bit of talk about Mark Russell on this Forum (OK, mainly from me) and how good of a comic writer he is shaping up. Besides his upcoming Vertigo project, Russell is the new writer on the Lone Ranger comic, starting in October. I would usually have zero interest in a Lone Ranger comic, but it sounds like Russell will be bringing some interesting political plots to the 1880s.

Also, our old friend J,M. DeMatteis returns with a new series from IDW in September called Impossible Inc., which sounds like a fun, cosmic romp.

• Upvote 1

The first issue of LOEG: Tempest was a lot more fun than any of them I've read recently. More story than namedropping, some very clever and entertaining use of daft 'Fifties and 'Sixties pop culture tat and what looks like the start of a serious attempt to sort out and tie up all the loose ends that have been left splayed all over the place since The Black Dossier, never mind Century and those interminable Nemo comics.

It looks like this one is going to finish on a high note if Moore and O'Neill can keep this up.

Wow.

Matt Kindt is good.

Black Badge is for all your young friends.

And you.

Mind MGMT for Young Adults

Blew through Rising Stars, quick easy read that was alright...maybe ?  The ending was proper guff but I'll give all involved credit for telling a complete story in a manageable 24 issues.

A colleague came into the office yesterday in a Zenith shirt which led to a brief conversation on 2000AD and now I have their app on my phone and have purchased some Nemesis and ABC Warriors that I probably won't get around to reading till 2020AD.

17 issues into DMZ, it's good stuff in that Brian Wood way - fuck the man, art is power, all of that.  The set-up (Manhattan's a DMZ in a second US civil war) doesn't seem quite as silly now as it did then but even still you have to get on board with the premise or it won't be for you.  Riccardo Burchielli's art is fucking ace, got that dirty look to it that I like.

Finished DMZ, as moaned about elsewhere some of the plotting felt rushed but otherwise I thought it was some pretty good reading.  Fantastic art throughout, even the filler artists brought their A-game.  Glad to have finally gotten to read it.

Currently reading the first big chunk of ABC Warriors in Mek Files 01.  I was a war comic boy growing up and only dabbled in some Eagle and 2000AD so it feels like I've missed out on a significant chunk of classic British comics.  Which is to say there's some choice Pat Mills work out there for me to gorge on - ABC Warriors, Nemesis and Slaine.  

• Upvote 1

I've been meaning to get hold of that one for a while, John. That's all of the first run of Volgan war and Mars stories in a nice big hardback rather than the not quite 2/3 size paperbacks, right?

Lots of excellent reading ahead of you, John!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beyonders #1 by Paul Jenkins (from AfterShock Comics)-This comic has a breathtaking cover.

What else does it have going for it? Sadly, nothing. After not seeing Jenkins' name attached to many comic series for a while now (I think his New 52 DC work might have been the last I have seen of Jenkins), I was hoping for something back at the level that Jenkins was writing at around the turn of this century. Instead, this is just plain generic. Genius level kid doesn't play well with others, spends lots of time on internet, believes in all sorts of "conspiracy theories"....ends up seemingly on the wrong side of the government, intent on keeping secrets....wakes up to "reality". Yeah. Even what seems to be a nod to Gerber's Omega the Unknown falls flat with me. I was glad to see that Jenkins avoided the typical conspiracies, like the Illuminati. (Unless, Jenkins plans to stagnate with those other conspiracies in upcoming issues.) Instead, he brought up some of the "ancient alien"-type mysteries, ala Von Daniken or Brad Steiger's writings. Still, there's nothing of interest here. It's been dredged to death.

Beyonders #1B

On 9/1/2018 at 6:16 PM, dogpoet said:

I've been meaning to get hold of that one for a while, John. That's all of the first run of Volgan war and Mars stories in a nice big hardback rather than the not quite 2/3 size paperbacks, right?

I'm reading in digital, it starts with the formation of the Warriors and runs through the Mars and Black Hole stories. 

Contents are listed as -

Prologue (this is a brief framing device with Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein flashing back to...)
ABC Warriors
The Retreat from Volgow
Mongrol
The Order of Knights Martial
The Bougainville Massacre
Steelhorn
Cyboons
The Red Death
Golgotha
Mad George
Epilogue
The Black Hole

The Black Hole arc takes place some time after the Mars story and there's a reference early on to events from Nemesis Book 5 so I've paused there and jumped over to read through the pointy nosed one's stuff.  Was tempted by the two Ro-Buster collections but they're a little expensive and the prologue sets things up just fine.

There's a Slaine sale on in their online store, which overs both physical and digital.

Thank you, John. That's the original two Titan collections from the early '80s (I think the prologue and epilogue were done for those rather than appearing in 2000AD itself) and the Black Hole story, then. That'll make a nice thick collection as a physical object, and I'll need to get a copy. (Apart from anything else, my copies of the two Titan collections are falling apart now from sheer old age, so that should make a nice replacement.)

As far as the Nemesis thing goes, the Warriors were apparently written into that as 2000AD's editorial kept promising their return and it kept not happening apart from the occasional story in an annual or special so adding them to Nemesis' supporting cast struck Mills as a useful way to bring them back. There are several accounts of them being very popular with the readers indeed, but artists having panic attacks on being asked to draw them.

As for Ro Busters, it's a bit patchy, but the better stuff is some of Mills' best work. You don't really need to have read any of it to follow the later ABC Warriors stories, though.

Have you read any of the other future war stories from 2000AD, btw? There was a big overlap between Battle and 2000AD on a lot of that stuff (Carlos Equezzerra and Cam Kennedy both started off on Battle rather than 2000AD). I'd imagine you've read some of the Rogue Trooper stuff at least, but Fiends Of the Eastern Front (undead Transylvanian cavalry on the Russian front during WW2), Invasion/Savage (the original run of which was very much near future terrorism against an occupying army done as a '70s childrens' adventure comic, which makes it read very strangely indeed now: since Mills rebooted and revamped it, it's got a lot nastier and rather self conscious with it and so doesn't have that odd vibe to it anymore), The VCs (blatant but far less fascistic rip off of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, stuffed full of traditional British war comic cliches) and Bad Company (Peter Milligan doing a straightforwards adventure story with some lovely Brett Ewins artwork) are all rather good as well.

Haven't read any of them so thanks!  Bad Company is definitely on the list.

On the Mek-Files I should note that they they reproduced the colouring where used (presumably on double-paged spreads in the original comics), at least for the mek-nificent seven stories anyway.

They did that with the uncensored Cursed Earth collection as well: it's a bit surprising it's taken them this long to start doing that with the collections.

Even reproducing the colour as those little dots that Lichtenstein was fond of...

I skipped through some of the original Ro-Busters stuff and found it quite funny that Mills did like one 'traditional' strip before jumping straight into a war flashback.  Also apparently there's another series, Invasion, that covers the initial stages of the Volgan war - honestly I didn't realise that the 2000AD stuff was all so interconnected.  

Invasion! is itself connected to Savage, which still runs in 2000AD from time to time. Directly connected, in fact. :smile:  Dom mentioned it above. They're both written by Pat Mills.

Did any of you see that storyline from a couple of years back where

the individual strips unexpectedly turned out to be telling the same story

?

One of the all-time great 2000AD moments IMHO.