JasonT

Other comics we read recently

JohnMcMahon    574

That is a most excellent cover, makes me want to fire up the intro from the Monkees on Youtube.

In fact, I just did, 49 seconds very well spent.

Anyway, I'm rereading the Age Of Apocalypse crossover at the moment - it's very, very stupid and dumb but also exactly what I want from a big superhero event.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:01 AM, JohnMcMahon said:

That is a most excellent cover, makes me want to fire up the intro from the Monkees on Youtube.

In fact, I just did, 49 seconds very well spent.

Anyway, I'm rereading the Age Of Apocalypse crossover at the moment - it's very, very stupid and dumb but also exactly what I want from a big superhero event.

Age of Apocalypse is brilliant, it's like this sprawling apex of comic book crossovers, where things still fit together really damn well and each series is engaging on its own terms while still being part of a whole.  Compared to detritus like Secret Invasion and Secret Empire, AoA is rad.  It may be depressing as fuck, but it's still fun to read at the same time.  That Generation Next tie-in remains one of my favorite superhero comic endings just due to how damn bleak it was.

Christian    761

Yes, there's a lot to commend Age of Apocalypse. It's certainly in the top two or three Marvel cross-overs (nothing is going to beat Inferno, for mine). Generation Next was excellent, and Warren Ellis contributed the X-Calibre tie-in. At the very least, it had those two series going for it, but the whole thing tied together quite well. Weapon X was probably the only weak link in the entire event, and it wasn't outright terrible.

dogpoet    476

It was certainly a lot better than that Onslaught foolishness a year or two later...

A. Heathen    1,150

I think I bought the Legion collection.

How does this work? What's the one that Mike Carey wrote?

Hmm, maybe I didn't buy it. Unless I sent it to the wrong address. I looked at it in the shop and the later art is distressing.

Meanwhile, I found some bags of old comics that I must have brought from my Dad's last year.

The Lost (Andreyko, Showman, Geldhof) 

Squalor (Petrucha)

Empty Love Stories #1 (Steve Darnall, various artists) which reminds me to recommend Twisted Romance anthology, a weekly burst of fun)

And... wait for it ... Ethan Van Sciver's Cyberfrog !
How times have changed.