JasonT

Other comics we read recently

William Gibson's script for Aliens 3 is going to be adapted in to comic form and published by Dark Horse.

Personally, I'm glad we got the version of Aliens 3 we did, instead of the Gibson plot. I am a fan of Aliens 3, and rank it the second best of the entire Aliens franchise, after the original (I'm not sure if I'm counting Prometheus or not, because I'm still frankly not sure how much I love Prometheus, if that makes any sense). I don't understand why a lot of people don't enjoy Aliens 3, as it works very well. It was a dark and claustrophobic movie. I've noticed that there are quite a number of fans who love Aliens 3 too, so I guess the hatred of it is overblown.

It's funny that science fiction writers are expected to be predicting the future, yet I don't think one science fiction writer was able to predict that the USSR would no longer exist in the future. Not that I give the "science fiction writers are trying to predict the future" idea a lot of merit. Most of them are really writing about the present, with an occasional very prescient look at how the future of society will take shape.

Yet, it's especially funny that Gibson wrote his script based around explaining what happened to the "Eastern bloc" countries as his Aliens 3 premise during the late-1980s. It wouldn't be very long after that point when the USSR collapsed.

Looking back, it looks a lot better for the Alien franchise that they didn't end up having one of their movies being an outdated "Cold War" narrative. The franchise looks a lot more farseeing. Plus, the Aliens 3 we got served as a fitting ending for Ripley*, which is what the trilogy should have revolved around, whereby Gibson's script wouldn't have given us a finale for Ripley's story.

*Yes, I realize what Aliens Resurrection foisted upon the world. That was just plain a horrible movie, and why most people think of it as the "Aliens trilogy".

On 10/6/2018 at 5:06 AM, dogpoet said:

Barbed wire is an immediate image, and using it as a metaphor for illegal enclosure rather than a tattoo showing that somebody's up for a spanking session (which seems a lot more usual) is a very clever touch.

It goes even further than that, if you buy into this very deep take: https://www.thecomicregime.com/comicnews/graphic-encounters-7  It's a literary essay on that first issue of The Lone Ranger.

Thanks, Jason. Bit more deconstructionist a reading than I'd have expected for a political metaphor in a western comic. Haven't read the comic, but Rodinelli's intepretation of the wire as a web with the bad guy sitting at its centre like a spider and his gunsels spiritually if not physically spawning from it is nicely argued.

Read the first two Scarlet trades, Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev working through their Brian Wood phase.  It's super dumb and overly simplistic but I quite enjoyed it!

Jason-The entire planet? Is he going to do a better job than what we've seen so far? He can't do much worse though, eh?

I was thinking that with Marvel getting the rights back to Conan that they wouldn't have the rights to using Red Sonja material. I wonder how that works with the reprints of the old Marvel material? Not that I care much at all, since I own all the original comics. Will they have to skip issues of the original Marvel comics, since they don't have the rights to Red Sonja though?

I also hope Mark Russell isn't taking on too many new comics, which is going to hurt his creativity. He was used to writing one book at a time, and putting all of his energy in to that series....Flintstones, Snaggelpuss.

Now, he's gotten more popular, and it seems he's going to be writing about six different comics at once in 2019.

^ https://www.selfmadehero.com/books/lip-hook

English rural horror? Sold! Thanks for the heads-up, Ade.

16 hours ago, Christian said:

I also hope Mark Russell isn't taking on too many new comics, which is going to hurt his creativity. He was used to writing one book at a time, and putting all of his energy in to that series....Flintstones, Snaggelpuss.

Now, he's gotten more popular, and it seems he's going to be writing about six different comics at once in 2019.

I do hope he can maintain the staggering quality he's produced so far. He seems like a no-brainer to take over Batman, but IMHO he's so good he deserves something bigger.

Picked up the 2 Umbrella Academy trades. Grant Morrison jocking it in Supergods got me interested. Only cracked the first couple of pages but I dig it so far. Love the art, and any story that begins with an atomic elbow on a space squid pretty much has my attention

• Upvote 1

I cannot say that I cared for the last two issues of Black Hammer though. It's not that it was bad, but the 'creations meet their creators' bit has been done to death and if this is where the whole thing is headed then it seems like a cheap cop out to me.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Lou K said:

I cannot say that I cared for the last two issues of Black Hammer though. It's not that it was bad, but the 'creations meet their creators' bit has been done to death and if this is where the whole thing is headed then it seems like a cheap cop out to me.

And not as good as that "I can see you" page in Animal Man back in '88?

Not nearly as good as Bugs Bunny dodging a pencil seeking to erase him either.

• Upvote 1

I always liked the ones where Daffy Duck gets into a shouting match with the animator and is redrawn as something odder to spite him. Breaking the fourth wall or what?

• Like 1

That Marvel Comics Living Eraser story by Lee and Kirby was pretty trippy too. It was meta, without being self-referential.

See the source image

37 minutes ago, dogpoet said:

I always liked the ones where Daffy Duck gets into a shouting match with the animator and is redrawn as something odder to spite him. Breaking the fourth wall or what?

Or erases his beak!

9 minutes ago, Lou K said:

Or erases his beak!

Yep. You do wonder why Ted Pierce never went into comics, really. He'd have done a classic Batman run, at the very least...

[ETA: I tell a lie - Duck Amuck was written by Michael Maltese, not Ted Pierce.]

• Like 1

Oh....my....gosh! This is looking to end up being my favourite comic book of 2019 already.

This is the comic book you always wanted Alan Moore to write, but never knew you needed him to do it.

It's called Life on the Moon, about the 1835 New York Sun "Great Moon Hoax".

You have no idea how often I've dreamt that there really were bat-people living on the Moon.....

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC180795

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.

Been reading through the Complete Phonogram recently, and it's so so good.  I'd read the original "Rue Britannia" mini way back in the day and really enjoyed it, but never picked up the follow-up series.  "The Singles Club" was fantastic on just about every level, and I'm about halfway through the good-but-not-quite-as-good "Immaterial Girl" mini.  I really, really wish Keiron Gillen had been given a chance on Hellblazer, I think Phonogram proved he'd have produced at the very least a thoroughly interesting run with John.