JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Black Science #42-Only one issue left. I know that the final issue of a series is far too late to entice anyone to try picking up this book, but it's all available in TPB. If you left the book at some point, or you haven't checked it out yet, I highly recommend this series.

It's a series which has lasted for 43 issues, and I can't think of any down-period from the entire series. It was always extremely interesting, with Remender adding new twists and turns as the series went along.

I was worried about how he was going to end everything, but it's heading towards a perfect ending.

For those who read the book before, but might have dropped it,  know that the final story-arc shows Kadir's vision of the Multiverse becoming a reality. Really good stuff. It seemed as if this was what Remender was moving towards for a while, and I was glad to be right.

This is one of the top comic book series of the 21st century, without a doubt.

If you haven't read Black Science yet, it's fully of big ideas, craziness, quiet character moments. It was definitely a series which appealed to my interests.

• Upvote 1

Huh, think I'll give that a try, think the only thing I've read from Remender is Sea Of Red.

After reading Final Crisis I've gone back and started re-reading Morrison's Batman.

I’m going to pick up those Black Science trades. I really enjoyed what I’ve read so far 

It's a bit erratic, but the good stuff is great. I still prefer the Dick Grayson/Damien Wayne Batman and Robin series to most of his other stuff, though.

Did you ever get around to reading Morrison's JLA, Lou? He emphasises Batman in a lot of that as well.

I edited and clarified my previous statement.

Yeah, Dog, Grant's run on Batman was absolutely bonkers. So much good stuff there. And he seemed to bring it all to a head as well. It's almost like everything he put in those issues had some meaning, some connection to the larger overall story. Every little bit had a purpose. And you are correct that Grayson/Damian duo was fantastic. Loved the banter in between the two of them and Damian's total distaste for Jason Todd (HAHAHAHAHA). Way out there shit with Professor Pyg and all that Dollotrons and general overall weirdness.

Hell, Batman Inc, as silly as it was, was a lot of fun too. And when what happened to Damian happened, man, I felt that.

One of the goofiest things ever is Bruce Wayne chumming around with El Gaucho but he's like 'No, I am not Bruce Wayne. I am Batman disguised as Bruce Wayne' and Gaucho's like 'Sweet.' Yet GM totally makes it work. 

I still only have the first trade of Morrison's JLA. I dig it, but man it is so 90s. Super Mullet!

58 minutes ago, Lou K said:

Super Mullet!

I think he has a couple of the others getting on at him to sort his hair out a couple of times, doesn't he?

They'd better. Green Lantern should just whip out a giant pair of scissors. I really do ned to pick up the rest of those trades as well.

I read the first two Black Science trades from my library, and I've always been meaning to get further into that series.

Evidently other patrons agree, because whenever I do get the chance to pop in there, there's always the third trade I'm looking for missing.

Black Science was the favorite creator-owned thing I read from Remender, since Low and Seven to Eternity didn't do too much for me and I never felt the need to delve any further for those after the first trade.

Yeah, I haven't been that big of a fan of Remender's other created owned work that I've read either. Black Science stands out.

Otherwise, I actually enjoyed some of Remender's Marvel work better than most of his creator owned projects. Uncanny X-Force was amazing, believe it or not.

Black Science is probably the only thing that Remender could write that would top his Uncanny X-Force.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:07 PM, JohnMcMahon said:

Burned through Brubaker and Phillips' Kill Or Be Killed over the last couple of nights.  Pretty good though the narrative device quickly wore out its welcome for me. 

The ending felt very much like something nineteen year old me would have written, though clearly with a level of craft I could only aspire to.  

Somehow I forgot to read the final issue when it came out, and only just read it last weekend. That issue felt like kind of a letdown — everything important had already happened, the story was over, the ""twist"" was such a standard comicbook trope I had to use two sets of quotes on it. But you're right about the level of craft. 

The ending makes more sense if you read the series as a Mark-Millar-style treatment for a movie or TV show.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:40 PM, Lou K said:

I still only have the first trade of Morrison's JLA. I dig it, but man it is so 90s. Super Mullet!

At the time I thought the Super Mullet was ridiculous. But looking back, if we didn't have it, we'd have one less part of the 90s. If that makes sense. 

On a less superlative and mullet-y note, I went through the third Wolverine and the X Men collection last night, and shan't be bothering with any more of this. Aaron was probably ordered to get his third rate Claremont pastiche on for the big X-Event crossover story, but it looks even shoddier coming from a writer who's done eight really good issues before churning out shite like that to meet editorial demand, than it would from some mouthbreather who couldn't manage anything better if his life depended on doing so (mentioning no Chuck Austens). Bleah. When what's good about the series is that it started out not doing all of that tiresome shite, wasting five issues in a row on is the type of reversal that irks.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:40 AM, JasonT said:

Somehow I forgot to read the final issue when it came out, and only just read it last weekend. That issue felt like kind of a letdown — everything important had already happened, the story was over, the ""twist"" was such a standard comicbook trope I had to use two sets of quotes on it. But you're right about the level of craft. 

The ending makes more sense if you read the series as a Mark-Millar-style treatment for a movie or TV show.

At the time I thought the Super Mullet was ridiculous. But looking back, if we didn't have it, we'd have one less part of the 90s. If that makes sense. 

It's probably not a coincidence that a KOBK movie was put into development before the series even wrapped, though getting put into development and actually being made are two entirely different things.

And ridiculous as the super-mullet looks, at least it was slightly better than all the issues Superman spends as a guy made out of blue electricity in Morrison's JLA. Morrison sure had to spend a lot of his run accommodating whatever was going on in the solo books of the JLA's members, didn't he?

Right. It's not like any of that was Morrison's fault. He just had to follow along with whatever those crazy jokers were up to in the pages of the multiple Superman books at that time. So, it's easy to ignore the nonsense and just enjoy the Morrison goodness with JLA.

Too bad that Morrison wasn't the huge name he would become yet, otherwise, maybe DC would have lined up the Joe Casey run on Adventures of Superman to coincide with Morrison's JLA. Unlike Casey failing miserably on Uncanny X-Men, his work on Superman would have worked well as a companion book to Morrison's JLA.

2 hours ago, GottaGetAGrip said:

And ridiculous as the super-mullet looks, at least it was slightly better than all the issues Superman spends as a guy made out of blue electricity in Morrison's JLA.

He had the mullet in those as well, iirc.

Hahaha I love weed. 

So black science TPBs 2,3 and 4 showed up at my door step today. 1 will show up tomorrow 

forgot about that haha

• Like 1

Looks like someone at Amazon is on that devil's lettuce. Now I won;t be getting TPB 1 until next week!