JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Family Tree #1-I wasn't that much of a fan of this book. It's definitely not bad and is well-written, but I feel like I've seen this from Jeff Lemire before. It reads very much like a cross of Sweet Tooth and Royal City.

I mean, if you want something safe from Lemire that you know he can do a good job with the premise, you'll know what to expect. It's not as if the comic book world is overflowing with these types of plots.

It's not that I didn't like the story, it's just that I don't see much here that makes me want to continue reading, because it feels like well-worn territory from Lemire.

Still, if you love Jeff Lemire's creator-owned writing, I'd say you would enjoy this book. I just don't feel I need another series to collect, unless I find it unique.

I liked Family Tree.

It sets up a much darker tale but definitely in the same vein as Sweet Tooth.

I read Vampire State 1 and 2 and it's not for me. Nice storytelling art as you'd expect from Charlie Adlard, but that zombie film in that tall building was more f.u.n.

Marked by David Hine and Brian Haberlin is enjoyable in the hinterland betwixt Warren Ellis goth superheroes and Umbrella Academy. 

Oh and nice teasy end to BH/JLA miniseries.

Re-read Jamie Dleano and Richard Case's Ghostdancing from the old Vertigo days. It was fun. A bit much of the trippy hippy stuff but I loved Coyote Old Man's character. Really liked the ending too, which sets up for future tales, but I doubt that will ever happen. 

• Upvote 1

Don't know if I've mentioned it in here before, but I reread Rob Rogers' Enemy of the People last night.

He's an editorial cartoonist who got fired when the paper that published him went aggressively pro-Trump. It's a quick but depressing read (as collections of cartoons often are), though the most worrying thing about it is that the book was published by IDW, rather than one of the non comics publishers who are known for their coffee table books.