JasonT

Other comics we read recently

An old character turned EVIL....but such a hilarious choice, and so over-the-top in his evilness. Yeah, definitely a send-up parody of a lot of the crap that was being published in the early-2000s.

There was also that amazing Machine Man nod to 1970s Marvel or to 1980s deconstructivism story.

RE: Billionaire Island-I think Russell was a few months too early with this book. 
Now, had he written this comic about the ultra-rich living on an island to escape a virus....

2020 Visions, courtesy of a new trade edition. As far as I'm aware, it's the first color reprinting of 2020 Visions - the original covers were not included and it is printed in smaller dimensions than the average trade paperback however.

In most respects, Delano's speculative 2020 is even worse than what we've actually gotten, but the detail about the new plague in the first story sure hits a lot differently as of late.

It also comes with a new intro by Delano, where he describes his plotting on Hellblazer and Animal Man along the lines of making it up as he went in contrast to a more structured approach to 2020 Visions. That does explain the latter half of his Animal Man run, in all honesty.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how the timelines add up but my memory is that Nextwave was basically the natural conclusion to the Warren Ellis Forum, I hold it in fond regard and it's one of the few series I still have in single-issue form.

Kieran on Twitter: "i'm just realising it now, but there's more ...

I'm pretty sure that was the series that set up Elsa Bloodstone as a posh British psychopath rather than the Buffy rip off she started as in the Dan Abnett mini-series that introduced her, and that characterisation has stuck and then some, hasn't it?

I don’t remember seeing Elsa very much since NextWave, but yeah, I’m sure she’s still written as the psychopath rather than as Buffy.

She has a brother now, named Cullen.

He recently showed up in that horrible new Excalibur series.

They kept the NextWave characterization of Boomer too.

There's a Marvel Zombies series by the boy Spurrier from a few years back (during all that Battleworld nonsense) with the Ellis version of Elsa. Sadly though, it ends with character growth and the like, which looks a bit odd given that he's lifted the stuff about her father wholesale from Nextwave.

I have been reading quite a few comics recently -

Ed Brubaker's Death Of Captain America Omnibus : This and the preceding volumes in his run.  Good stuff blessed with some fantastic art that manages to handle some of the more superhero-y looking costumes in a grittier tale.

Captain Swing : An old Warren Ellis joint from his time at Avatar.  Pretty slight but again some good art and even Ellis-by-the-numbers is entertaining if nothing else.

Gravel : More Wozza at Avatar, this time the 21 issue series that followed the various Strange Kiss minis.  Combat Magician Bill Gravel fucks up people and talks like he's walked off the set of a Guy Ritchie movie.

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil : First thing I've read from Chip and really enjoying it so far.  Only finished the first trade.  Chip's put Matt in an interesting place and the new detective dude's pretty col.

Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader : This...isn't bad.  Doctor Aphra's interactions with Vader ring a little hollow, he'd have sliced her head off by the end of her first appearance I reckon but that aside it's some pretty good Star Wars.

Next up - Ellis' 12 issues of Thunderbolts.

• Like 1

I loved Ellis’ Thunderbolts mainly due to Ghost.

What an awesome reinvention of a character.

Ghost became my favourite Marvel character for the Ellis and Diggle Thunderbolts issues.

Too bad no one else did anything interesting with the character after.