JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Yeah, that's from the second issue of the second series - which, if anything so far, is even better than the first.

Umbrella Academy - that's the MCR bloke isn't it?

Or not?

I know the reviews hype it but frankly that means nowt because he's probably got great press. For reasons of extreme prejudice, I have never given it a shot.

So it's good?

Astonishingly, yes it is. He'd be well-advised to give up the day job, so far as I'm concerned.

The first series wasn't my cup of tea at all, but yes, it's very professionally written.

EDIT: That's The Umbrella Acdemy.

Edited by JasonT

I enjoyed the original series a lot. It reminded me of a mix of Lee/Kirby Uncanny X-Men with Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol.

I got a little burned out by the end of the series though, but I'll be checking out the new series in Trades. Reading a description of the first issue pulled me right back in.

Didn't know where else to put this, but Andy Diggle and Leo Manco will be reuniting soon!

Only it'll be at Marvel on War Machine.

Apparently Greg Pak's stories were so awful they've already taken him off the book and Andy Diggle will be taking over.

According to Comic Shop News the first issue of the new Seaguy series will be hitting stores in May. The description of the new series makes it sound far better than the original series. The original series eventually grew on me after rereadings, but I originally didn't enjoy Seaguy.

A major problem was reading it in monthly installments. It's meant to be read at once.

I'm actually quite fond of their music but I was just skeptical myself of the praise The Umbrella Academy was receiving as the comic's world is just as bad as every other when it comes to star fucking, fortunately the trade turned out to be a very wise investment indeed. A lot of people have compared it to Morrison's Doom Patrol, can kind of see that but it's really a lot more...um...mainstream than that - straight forward quality superheroes with just a splash of weird.

Even if you're a weirdo who doesn't like the writing, the covers and art are lush.

Andy will be well suited to War Machine, the first issue of the current series was awful shite - Manco's art was quality but the story...:mong:

No, I completely agree with you about the comparison to Morrison's Doom Patrol.

It's nowhere near the level of genius of Doom Patrol.

And, Morrison totally exaggerated the brilliance of the book.

But, there's enough of a Morrison's Doom Patrol influence to be spotted. As I said, mixed with 1960s X-Men, which was far more mainstream. So, leaning more towards Stan Lee X-Men than Doom Patrol.

Other news:

The writer for Daredevil: Noir will be Alexander Irvine who wrote the Son of Satan MAX mini-series. There's no description of the plot. Young man from the slums has a poor boxer father who's taking money from the mob for throwing fights. Reneges on deal, mob kills him. Son sees it. Mob boss puts out son's eyes. Son spends life training for revenge. Goes to war with the mob Kingpin. Girlfriend ends up dying at hands of mob. Sound about right? heh

Wolverine: Noir will be written by Stuart Moore, and the description makes it sound really generic. Private eye with a bloody past, down on his luck, beautiful woman....pretty much the description for every current noir revival.

Doom Patrol ?

What, because it's original superheroes ?

I suppose there was a tangential similarity in the first series. Like the surreal humour of the Painting that Ate Paris etc, but yuh knuh.

:icon_rolleyes:

It's worth checking out Jim Krueger's Footsoldiers if you like Umbrella Academy.

No, I completely agree with you about the comparison to Morrison's Doom Patrol.

It's nowhere near the level of genius of Doom Patrol.

And, Morrison totally exaggerated the brilliance of the book.

But, there's enough of a Morrison's Doom Patrol influence to be spotted. As I said, mixed with 1960s X-Men, which was far more mainstream. So, leaning more towards Stan Lee X-Men than Doom Patrol.

Other news:

The writer for Daredevil: Noir will be Alexander Irvine who wrote the Son of Satan MAX mini-series. There's no description of the plot. Young man from the slums has a poor boxer father who's taking money from the mob for throwing fights. Reneges on deal, mob kills him. Son sees it. Mob boss puts out son's eyes. Son spends life training for revenge. Goes to war with the mob Kingpin. Girlfriend ends up dying at hands of mob. Sound about right? heh

Wolverine: Noir will be written by Stuart Moore, and the description makes it sound really generic. Private eye with a bloody past, down on his luck, beautiful woman....pretty much the description for every current noir revival.

Still no mention of the team for Luke Cage Noir?

Not yet.

I read a rumour on the internet that Genndy Tartakovsky will be the writer, but that's just a rumour.

Now, the bigger question after reading that rumour is "Who the hell is that?". Well, I checked online and it seems he's written a lot of shows for Cartoon Network, and if my memory serves, he might be writing the script for the Iron Man sequel (but my memory can be faulty, so that last part may be wrong).

Magneto: Testament #5-I'd like to know the reasons for Marvel publishing this title as a Magneto comic. It's not a book about Magneto at all. It's historical fiction, the story of a young man who survived Auschwitz. Now, if Marvel made this decision because they thought more people would buy it if it had the name "Magneto" on the title, that's fair. Not for profit reasons, I mean, but because non-superhero work in comics doesn't always get the audience it should have. But, if Marvel made this decision because they have an aversion to publishing non Marvel intellectual property, then that's a disgrace.

Otherwise, this was a very good comic book account of the life of a Jewish family during Nazi Germany. Needlessly pushing an actual origin for Magneto into this title would've been, at least, distracting and, at most, offensive.

It avoided the pitfall of Dave Sim's "only Jewish deaths matter" stance, although there was one part where it seemed a little dismissive of other deaths with the wording ("and many millions of other people died too"), but it clearly showed that the genocide involved Gypsies, and that's a minor complaint, overall.

Bang Tango #1-I didn't like that at all. It had all the usual tropes. Might have read better in the early '90s when this sort of plot was all the rage in Hollywood, now it comes to comics dated. Yawn.

Secret Six #6-Oh! The dangling plot-thread from back during the original mini-series is finally picked up.

Brutal surprise ending. X-Factor's surprise ending has a real contender here.

Agents of Atlas #1-The back-up strip was far too Cold War for my tastes. The FBI agents are the heroes. Yeah, I've got a problem with that. You want to demonize "the enemy", that's fine because they're not better, but you'd better be prepared to point the finger at "your side" just as readily, or it draws my anarchist wrath.

I guess it's meant to be a period piece, and could be read as a spoof of Cold War conspiracy sci-fi stories.

Anyway, the story was interesting and I enjoyed it. Since it was a double-sized issue, I decided to give it a try, so hopefully the price will drop with a normal sized book, or I won't be picking this up monthly.

I'm not sure how much interest a book like this is ever going to generate though. The Dark Reign tie-in will carry it, but once the cross-over ends, I don't see this being able to survive, especially if they do plan to charge an extra dollar for it.

Iron Man-Ha, I laugh at the politics. Tony Stark is supposed to be some great hero and at the beginning of the issue, someone is asking a question about whether Stark has even committed a crime. Since he was working for the government, of course his actions were legal. Norman Osbourne is meant to be portrayed as the "greater evil", sure, but I'd say Stark is deserving of this treatment. He set up everything that Osbourne is using against him and consolidating.

Age of the Sentry #5-This is great. The Guardians of the Galaxy fill the place that the Legion of Superheroes held for Superman in the Silver Age. Ego the Living Planet's female relative is pregnant. Pure fun.

X-Men: First Class, Finals #1-Bit of an oft-kilter first issue. I'm not sure where this is going, and I found a few problematic errors with the continuity (nit-picking, I suppose, but it was very stand-out), not to mention some very stilted dialogue. This issue served mainly as a flashback to the X-Men's battle with Grotesk (important in the 1960s, but long forgotten today). I did really like the foreshadowing of Prof. X's relationships with Moira. Hindsight allows this book to deal with something that writers prior to Claremont obviously couldn't have set up.

X-Men: Noir #3-I like what Van Lente came up with for Unus the Untouchable. Also, the inclusion of En Sabah Nur in the pulp sci-fi story is so believable, because it sounds like something that'd be used in those early pulp stories, with their (usual) geopolitics.

Everyone who bought a Marvel comic this month, look at the artwork for the first page of the "War of the Kings" preview section.

There are 5 males and 2 females on the page. Crystal and Lilandra are in the front, bending over, showing off their asses. Above them sit the 5 heads of the males. Look at that! Look at the expressions on the males' faces and where their eyes are looking! Jesus Christ!

That's hilarious in a totally wrong way.

Not yet.

I read a rumour on the internet that Gennedy Tartakovsky will be the writer, but that's just a rumour.

Now, the bigger question after reading that rumour is "Who the hell is that?". Well, I checked online and it seems he's written a lot of shows for Cartoon Network, and if my memory serves, he might be writing the script for the Iron Man sequel (but my memory can be faulty, so that last part may be wrong).

Oh dude, he created the most awesome Samurai Jack!!! Also Dexter's Laboratory and he produced Powerpuff Girls and also did the highly entertaining animated Clone Wars (the original Clone Wars a few years back, not the recent CGI one).

Everyone who bought a Marvel comic this month, look at the artwork for the first page of the "War of the Kings" preview section.

There are 5 males and 2 females on the page. Crystal and Lilandra are in the front, bending over, showing off their asses. Above them sit the 5 heads of the males. Look at that! Look at the expressions on the males' faces and where their eyes are looking! Jesus Christ!

For those of us who don't buy Marvel comics, can someone scan that in so's i can see it?

Scott Pilgrim Versus The Universe: brilliance. from the foil cover (which is actually kind of a plot point coming back from volume 1) and 8/16-bit videogame screenshot on the backcover to the story taking quite a turn for the serious (though that's been happening steadily from volume 2/3 on), this was great. will make the year of waiting for the final volume even harder, but I'm used to the glacial production schedule of european graphic novels, so this won't be that hard.

I hope.

For those of us who don't buy Marvel comics, can someone scan that in so's i can see it?

warofkings.jpg

That's really, really awful.

And who broke Lilandra's spine? I'm pretty sure that we shouldn't be able to see both tits and buttocks in a single pose without risking some serious internal damage.

That's some of the most awful shit I've seen on a comic book cover not drawn by Jim Balent. anatomy is hideous, and it's basically some godawful average artwork hiding behind some cheap T&A and shiny Photoshop effects.

I'm pretty sure that we shouldn't be able to see both tits and buttocks in a single pose without risking some serious internal damage.

Try a bit of self-control. :tongue:

Batman:Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, part 1-Neil Gaiman was back on top form for this. I absolutely loved it. The Alfred story was just great. The Catwoman story certainly had its moments as well.

It was also nice to see Gaiman writing the Riddler again. He wrote a great Riddler in the past.

There's a special guest appearance from a popular Neil Gaiman character at the end too (in shadows).

I found this issue a pleasure to read and can't wait for part 2.

Thor #600-Yeah....there's a big fight with Odin's father. It's an anniversary issue, but it's to be continued. It leads to a Dark Reign story-line. The major plot has been done many times before. Not great, average. The only part I really liked was Loki's homage to the Biblical book of Job.

The mini-Marvels story was fun, although one repeating gag got annoying. But, it's a spoof of the entirety of Thor's third series.

The Stan Lee story was written as quickly as the artist took to draw it, I guess. It read like the past 40 years of Thor plots shoved into one quick read. It's really sad just how little change has occurred in this book in 40 years.

I'm glad it was a small week since the copy of What If Classic vol. 5 I ordered arrived.

Batman:Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, part 1-Neil Gaiman was back on top form for this. I absolutely loved it. The Alfred story was just great. The Catwoman story certainly had its moments as well.

It was also nice to see Gaiman writing the Riddler again. He wrote a great Riddler in the past.

There's a special guest appearance from a popular Neil Gaiman character at the end too (in shadows).

I found this issue a pleasure to read and can't wait for part 2.

Funnily enough for me it was more of "Whatever happened to Neil Gaiman?".

I really hope that the shadowed character is

Wayne's mother and not Gaiman's Death, because seriously.

Didn't do much for me I'm afraid, but the Kubert art was lovely.

Incognito #2 was splendid, really opening up from the previous issue.