JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Batman:Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, part 1-Neil Gaiman was back on top form for this. I absolutely loved it. The Alfred story was just great. The Catwoman story certainly had its moments as well.

It was also nice to see Gaiman writing the Riddler again. He wrote a great Riddler in the past.

There's a special guest appearance from a popular Neil Gaiman character at the end too (in shadows).

I found this issue a pleasure to read and can't wait for part 2.

Funnily enough for me it was more of "Whatever happened to Neil Gaiman?".

I really hope that the shadowed character is

Wayne's mother and not Gaiman's Death, because seriously.

Didn't do much for me I'm afraid, but the Kubert art was lovely.

We already had that book. It read "Eternals" on the title, but that was a misprint. It certainly couldn't have had anything to do with that fun series written by Jack Kirby, that's for sure. It was subtitled, "Or, why is Neil Gaiman so boring now?".

Your spoiler actually makes more sense. If it was who I thought, well, it was far too obvious.

But, why wouldn't Bruce Wayne recognize her, if it was who you thought?

There's an exclusive preview of the new Black Panther series in Ultimate Spider-Man 130. The same preview was in Amazing Spider-Man 584. How is that "exclusive"?

Was it just as bad in USM as it was in ASM? heh

It was in all of that week's Marvel books. I believe it was in Uncanny X-Men.

Just be thankful Marvel didn't charge us extra for it. I'm sure they've used house preview ads like that as page fillers in $3.99 books....

As far as I am concerned Black Panther has not existed since the end of the Priest series.

Icognito - Awesome. It's always the women, isn't it? The article about Doc Savage was cool. I have almost all of the Doc Savage stories on my computer and really must read them.

Thor - I feel I really got my money's worth on this. There is lots of content that ranged from fantastic (the main story) to nice and nostalgic (the Stan Lee story) to stupidly fun (the mini Marvels strips). The older Lee/Kirby stuff was ok but didn't do anything for me really.

R.E.B.E.L.S. - Vril Dox (Brainiac 2) is a dick. He's a genius dick. I liked how Supergirl was used as a data storage device. Aside from Brainiac 2 the rest of the characters were boring. This could be an interesting book.

Hellboy: The Wild Hunt - The witches are coming!! Mignola and Fregredo are going together like peanut butter (the non-poisonous kind) and chocolate. What Mignola hints at for Hellboy's future is very intriguing.

Your spoiler actually makes more sense. If it was who I thought, well, it was far too obvious.

But, why wouldn't Bruce Wayne recognize her, if it was who you thought?

Shit...

But back to

Death

, Bruce is not

dead, he's lost in time or something

Morrison/unbatman like.

Or both?

Unless this isn't directly connected to Final Crisis at all, which is probably a good thing.

As far as I am concerned Black Panther has not existed since the end of the Priest series.

Damn right.

And I must be the only one who liked or bought The Crew.

No way, I am a fan as well. I liked the idea of a sort of "street-level Avengers." Also, it was a nice progression for the character of Kasper Cole to become the White Tiger. Speaking of things that don't exist beyond a certain point: that other White Tiger.

I just bought a Batman comic and a Superman comic* in the same week for the first time in ages.

I quite like that Whatever Happened to The Batman? comic.

Reminds me of Zero Hour craziness.

And my comic shop said that they'll accept my boxes of post-Crisis crossovers AND stuff like Deadline that I have lying around in my Dad's loft.

(*hardcover to be honest).

That metafictional Steven Seagle thing, Adrian? Been meaning to read that for years. Is it any good?

I read the first trade of Invincible, and have to say I was a little disappointed with it. It had one or two moments, but I can't believe Kirkman was the mind behind it. Does it get any better ever?

That metafictional Steven Seagle thing, Adrian? Been meaning to read that for years. Is it any good?

Goodness me, that was years ago.

I liked that too.

No these were by Gaiman (non-hard) and Morrison (HARD).

That Batman issue was alright-ish, although a bit Gaiman-by-the-numbers for me (I've not been bowled over by anything he's done since the really-rather-good American Gods, although I haven't read Coraline yet). It wasn't bad by any means, but it'll stand or fall on the second half, and he's rarely been great at endings.

I'll second Ade in saying that the Seagle Superman book is well worth a read.

I read the first trade of Invincible, and have to say I was a little disappointed with it. It had one or two moments, but I can't believe Kirkman was the mind behind it. Does it get any better ever?

Yes! It only gets better and stays that way.

Give it 1 or 2 more trades, at least.

Thanks, guys. (I've been meaning to read that one since it came out, but have never quite got around to it for some reason.)

Batman:Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, part 1-Neil Gaiman was back on top form for this. I absolutely loved it. The Alfred story was just great. The Catwoman story certainly had its moments as well.

I found this issue a pleasure to read and can't wait for part 2.

Ditto. That was a really satisfying read, and more so because it's done in two regular issues instead of a prestige 6-issue hardcover limited series or something. Bring on part 2 of 2!

All right, for you, I'll do it.

All right, for you, I'll do it.

*sniff* That gets me, deep down, man. That's beautiful.

(que music)

Look into my eyes - you will see

What you mean to me

Search your heart - search your soul

And when you find me there you'll search no more

Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for

You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for

You know it's true

Everything I do - I do it for you

Read all of the published issues of Young Liars, and let me tell you, this was the best series of 2008.

To supplement my Lapham fix I'm now 18 issues deep in Stray Bullets, and blew through his Daredevil vs. Punisher 4 issue mini--- all very good.

It's kind of hard for me to describe his style (he writes, pencils, and inks almost all of his stuff), but it's a nice blend of indie comics art style (think Clowes or Thompson) featuring weird, fucked-up characters (think Lynch), with conspiracy/pseudo-science craziness (think Morrison), told in a metaseries/intertwining-smaller-parts-of-a-bigger-whole kind of way (think SSoV, 100 Bullets, Local, etc).

This is a creator I will be following for quite a while.

Really? Maybe I didn't give Young Liars a chance. I read the first issue and hated it. I found everyone to be annoying stock characters.

I haven't been impressed by Lapham's mainstream work.

I mean, Daredevil vs. Punisher is ok for what it is.

Now, Stray Bullets is genius. It's the series that everyone who has raved about 100 Bullets I thought should be reading. But, apparently I gave up on 100 Bullets too quickly also (after the second trade), and there is more to it. But, I still think everyone who is reading 100 Bullets needs to hunt down Stray Bullets.

I've heard great things about Stray Bullets from quite a few people, and since 100 Bullets (which, barring the possibility of a crap ending, I'm quite confident in declaring the best major series Vertigo have published since the '90s) is coming to an end this year, I'll start picking up the trades fairly soon.

Silverfish didn't do much for me, though, and his Detective Comics run fizzled out badly after a promising start. Is there a particular point in Stray Bullets I should persevere until, or is it a case of "if it doesn't grab me from the start, it's not for me"?

Probably in the range of 5 to 10 issues. The first "act" wraps up after #14.

I rate Stray Bullets higher than 100 Bullets.

Silverfish, Detective Comics, and Daredevil vs. Punisher are amongst his weaker stuff, though I still enjoyed them.

I reserve my Lapham-boner solely for Stray Bullets and Young Liars.