JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Stray Bullets is pretty damn awesome, and yeah, it's a much straighter crime series than 100 Bullets. The Criminal comparison is quite apt.

Detective Comics, and Daredevil vs. Punisher are amongst his weaker stuff, though I still enjoyed them.

See those were piss poor for me so I'm sad to say I never gave him the chance.

The only Comic i read from my stack yesterday was the Ben Templesmith drawn Doctor Who comic. The story was fairly predictable once the big monster showed up, but the art was gorgeous with it's mix of sketchy drawings and realistic renderings and watery colors. B+

Fantastic Four #564

Not bad, mostly setup for the remainder of the arc with some pretty panels from Hitch.

The Twelve #0-8

One of the best comics of 2008 continues on strongly. Weston has knocked it out the park on nearly every issue, some really nice stuff from him, especially the Black Widow (the Golden Age one, not the Russian superspy). The powers/abilities of the 12 are interesting (in most cases) and the backstories are great-- updated GA ideals that then get filtered through Modern Day realities. There are elements of Moore's MiracleMan, Morrison's SSoV, Ellis' Planetary and Millar's Ultimates, yet the series is unique enough that you haven't seen this all before.

Highly recommended.

I really want to write loads and loads about Stray Bullets, in an ideal world Vertigo would offer Lapham money to go back to it - it's up there with the very, very best material ever to come out of that (or any other) imprint.

The latest Umbrella Academy is another stormer, far and away the best comic I'm reading at the mo.

Agreed 100% about Stray Bullets.

I didn't understand the new issue of Fantastic Four. It didn't seem to fit. It read like it was meant to be a filler story. I really liked it, but it was a Christmas story and I thought Millar had been building to the return of Dr. Doom's master. It read as out of place.

I really like Millar's character moments on this title.

Incredible Hercules was a double-sized issue and had the origin of Hercules. It was great fun.

There were a few text pages catching readers up on the character.

Then there was a great back-up strip about Amadeus Cho trying to find his coyote puppy in the deserts. I wish it was given a few more pages, because it seemed to end abruptly. Otherwise, it was worth your time to read.

Just gone through that turn of the '90s Foolkiller mini series. I was expecting a bit more from some of what I'd heard about this one, frankly.

I didn't understand the new issue of Fantastic Four. It didn't seem to fit. It read like it was meant to be a filler story. I really liked it, but it was a Christmas story and I thought Millar had been building to the return of Dr. Doom's master. It read as out of place.

I really like Millar's character moments on this title.

Agreed.

Just gone through that turn of the '90s Foolkiller mini series. I was expecting a bit more from some of what I'd heard about this one, frankly.

It started out good, and the ending was pretty good, but it became a bit too much regular early-90s "grim and gritty" fair.

It wasn't one of Gerber's best works, but I thought it was worth a read.

I liked the original Foolkiller gimmick from his Man Thing days.

It's still leagues and leagues ahead of that Foolkiller trash they published under the MAX imprint though.

I've not read the Max Foolkiller, and don't plan to, frankly.

It isn't actually bad, but given it's often talked up as a masterpiece, I was expecting rather more than a sort of middle class take on Taxi Driver. (No idea what G. Gordon Liddy is doing in there either.)

You're probably right that it's overlong.

I guess Keith Giffen is going to be writing a new Doom Patrol series, and DeMatteis andGiffen will be writing a new Metal Men series. That sounds promising.

Final Crisis isn't over yet! There will be 4, 6 part mini-series following on from the events of Final Crisis. Joe Casey, Matt Sturges, Greg Rucka, and Eric Wallace (who?) will be writing the books. I will not be buying them.

Well, the Final Crisis: Dance one written by Joe Casey, featuring the Super Young Team, is described as a commentary on the propaganda of the media and celebrity culture, so I might have to read that one.

According to solicitations, they are all stand-alone projects with no ties to F.C. or each other....which DC has been terrible about telling the truth on such matters in the past, so if it is true, I'll check out that one.

Solomon Grundy #1-The local comic store had this as the owner's "pick of the week", meaning it had an extra discount, so I decided to give it a try.

It's a bit disjointed. Stuff about Grundy's origins, appearance by the Phantom Stranger...then a tedious battle with the Demon....

Not worth checking out the second issue.

Daredevil-This was a really interesting issue. I enjoyed it. The ending was too predictable, and I'm not sure how much I like it. The DD status quo seems as if it must always be maintained, no change. But, I'm interested to see where this story-arc is going. DD is still on the verge of my widening "maybe drop" list, and this story-arc will decide if I'll continue to read the book. If it's the same-old, same-old, I've had enough.

This issue spotlighting Kingpin was a nice change of pace and the story felt very fresh.

Strange Adventures #1-Jim Starlin is apparently just continuing the same work he's been writing since Mystery in Space. I skipped that whole "Holy War" thing, and this seems to be the next installment of that cosmic story. I saw it had Prince Gavyn (the Silver Age Starman) and got all excited, but I got bored with this plot by the end of Mystery in Space.

X-Men: First Class, Finals #2-I enjoyed the foreshadowing of Hank joining the Brand Corporation after the initial cancellation of the Uncanny X-Men title. That sort of thing is fun for long time readers.

Secret Six-With this conclusion of the first story-arc, I am now decided that this book is my favourite currently ongoing series.

I guess Keith Giffen is going to be writing a new Doom Patrol series, and DeMatteis andGiffen will be writing a new Metal Men series. That sounds promising.

I'm a fan of those two together, myself, and will check out that Metal Man series, and probably the Doom Patrol book as well. I wonder if he'll get the kind of blowback by the fanboys that he got when he wrote Suicide Squad several years ago. I quite liked that book, but apparently i was the only one, as the Internerds were all up in arms about it.

Final Crisis isn't over yet! There will be 4, 6 part mini-series following on from the events of Final Crisis. Joe Casey, Matt Sturges, Greg Rucka, and Eric Wallace (who?) will be writing the books. I will not be buying them.

Well, the Final Crisis: Dance one written by Joe Casey, featuring the Super Young Team, is described as a commentary on the propaganda of the media and celebrity culture, so I might have to read that one.

According to solicitations, they are all stand-alone projects with no ties to F.C. or each other....which DC has been terrible about telling the truth on such matters in the past, so if it is true, I'll check out that one.

Super Young Team was my favorite bit of the whole Final Crisis deal, but I just cannot see myself buying anything that come out of that disjointed mess. Still I look forward to hearing how it is, I may change my mind.

Strange Adventures #1-Jim Starlin is apparently just continuing the same work he's been writing since Mystery in Space. I skipped that whole "Holy War" thing, and this seems to be the next installment of that cosmic story. I saw it had Prince Gavyn (the Silver Age Starman) and got all excited, but I got bored with this plot by the end of Mystery in Space.

I'll be this is all about retaining Copyright/Trademark to these titles, and just letting Starlin tell whatever story he wants to. It's unfortunate that i found that story pretty boring. I picked up the first of these with Captain Comet and the Weird (a character that was just itching to be re-introduced. :wink: ) I like Gavyn too, but Starlin just doesn't seem to have It anymore, does he.

And i love Secret Six too. I look forward to picking up that book next week.

Wasn't the blue disco bunny a silver age Starman as well?

Just read the first issue of the new Fury series (whatever it's called, it's all about Fury), which was rather better than any of the recent Bendis stuff I've seen, though hardly Daredevil or Alias.

I also read that "Galactus is a Hoax!" oneshot, which was (surprisingly) very funny. Some excellent jokes in there, and a nice, rather than pointlessly smug, use of textuality in a comic.

Mikaal Tomas was 70's character, but he only appeared in a single issue as far as i know, so maybe that doesn't count.

Sure does. If it was DeMatteis and Giffen writing a new Doom Patrol series, I'd be on board for sure.

Mikaal Tomas was 70's character, but he only appeared in a single issue as far as i know, so maybe that doesn't count.

That issue appeared in the early '70s = Silver Age.

I'm re-reading all of the Hellboy comics I have, which is just about all of them I think. Finished trades 1 - 5, then 7 (The Troll Witch, one of my favoritest [favouritest for you Canadians and UK types] HB stories evar), and bought 6 today (even though i already have The Island rag, don't rememebr ever reading Third Wish) and am now reading that. Then it's on to Darkness Calls floppies and whatever else I can find. I can't stress enough what a perfect comic this is, where story and art truly are one. Very clever, very well done.

Having just finished the Conquerer Worm story I am, of course, infatuated with Lobster Johnson. enough so that i had to buy the most excellent action figure from Mezco Toys that I've had my eye on all this time. And why not? My collection would not have been complete.

51XYK5M0VDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I am enjoying Garth Ennis' Back to Brooklyn but Jimmy Palmiotti's blab at the back of the book about growing up a Catholic school Italian kid in Brooklyn in the 70's takes the cake. That right there should be a comic book.

I think what Dave was saying there is that since the character only made one appearance, for all intents and purposes, perhaps it was the Prince Gavyn Starman who counted as the Silver Age version over Mikaal Tomas.

Just read the first issue of the new Fury series (whatever it's called, it's all about Fury), which was rather better than any of the recent Bendis stuff I've seen, though hardly Daredevil or Alias.

You mean Secret Warriors?

It's meant to be about a team of second generation superheroes led by Nick Fury, but paging through the two issues, I haven't seen any of those characters make an appearance yet, even though the team was formed during Secret Invasion.

It didn't look bad for a current Bendis series. I'd lost faith in Bendis long ago by now though.

If that is the series you mean, it's co-written by Jonathan Hickman also (the guy who wrote that Nightly News series).

I believe Hickman will be taking over full-time writing duties soon.

I think what Dave was saying there is that since the character only made one appearance, for all intents and purposes, perhaps it was the Prince Gavyn Starman who counted as the Silver Age version over Mikaal Tomas.

Bing! :hattip:

I'm re-reading all of the Hellboy comics I have, which is just about all of them I think. Finished trades 1 - 5, then 7 (The Troll Witch, one of my favoritest [favouritest for you Canadians and UK types] HB stories evar), and bought 6 today (even though i already have The Island rag, don't rememebr ever reading Third Wish) and am now reading that. Then it's on to Darkness Calls floppies and whatever else I can find. I can't stress enough what a perfect comic this is, where story and art truly are one. Very clever, very well done.

Having just finished the Conquerer Worm story I am, of course, infatuated with Lobster Johnson. enough so that i had to buy the most excellent action figure from Mezco Toys that I've had my eye on all this time. And why not? My collection would not have been complete.

I am enjoying Garth Ennis' Back to Brooklyn but Jimmy Palmiotti's blab at the back of the book about growing up a Catholic school Italian kid in Brooklyn in the 70's takes the cake. That right there should be a comic book.

All of this is correct. I can even approve of your wasting money on plastic crap, when the action figure's as cool as that one.

I just read that Jonathan Hickman is taking over on Fantastic Four after Millar's finished. That's good news, as I want to continue reading the F.F. title, and Hickman should be a nice replacement.

Invincible Iron Man #11-Now, this is what I like to see in an Iron Man comic. Tony Stark is a fugitive who has lost everything, but the melodrama is kept to a bare minimum in order to get cool fight scenes. Tony Stark in old armour. An old enemy returns in a creepy way. And, a cool fight scene with War Machine, followed next month by a fight with Sub-Mariner. Reminds me of the late-1970s Iron Man book.

X-Men: Noir #4-Yeah, that was far too short. There's a lot more that could've been done with the X-Men characters. I enjoyed the final issue a great deal. It had a really nice surprise ending, that I never once saw. A nice way to wrap up the book, but it was too rushed at just four issues. It needed more breathing space.

Overall, I'd recommend this book as being worth reading when it comes out in Trade if you missed it.

Did Captain Britain actually ship? I went to two comic shops and neither one had a copy.