JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Rumble continues to be my favourite of the alien sword and sorcery type books, because it's grounded in a believable world (did I mention Eddy Current?) with fun fantasy realm.

They Are Not Like Us, I would say this has me hooked more than The Wicked and The Devine, perhaps due to the exquisite art by Simon Gane.

I realise that this is nothing new, and I had lots of new comics the past few months.

Let me see if I can summarise.

Achie vs Predator. Horror romp fun.

Bitch Planet. I didn't get into this.

Chrononauts. Likewise, looks okay but not really anything new, storywise.

Kaptara is the first of these lost in space/time/subterranean fantasy world books to have grabbed me for a while. I like Zdarsky's writing.

Likewise, Justin Jordan's Spread (body horror) and Deep State (X files-esque conspiracy) are very readable.

Intersect by Ray Fawkes has turned out to be almost like some of David Mack's "Kabuki" of delightful sparse and sketchy artwork with a story worth persevering with.

Red One has super sexy Terry Dodson art and is a James Bond type of female action story. But it makes me sad that Codename: Knockout did not catch on. maybe they should re-release that now that sexyism is acceptable.

Now go to the DCU thread where I shall discuss the five comics I just read from the Convergence.

Injection #1-I have no idea what's going on in this issue. It does end with a great cliffhanger.

I do believe Warren Ellis based one character on John Constantine. He likes throwing Constantine archetypes in to his comics.

Been reading Ragnarok by the legendary Walter Simonson. Ragnarok has occured. Yggdrasil has fallen. Surtur has collapsed the 9 realms. And now the Stone God has awoken to find out just where it all went wrong. Very cool stuff by one of the best sequential artists in the business.

• Upvote 1

I like Chrononauts OK.

Southern Cross has been a nice surprise

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has been a nice horror based recount of Sabrina the Teenaged witch, but rather than campy, they went all horror and freaky. Her two aunts are sick.

Providence didn't do much for me.

Fight Club 2 is kind of interesting. I'll give it some room to grow on me.

The Strain has become a plodding mess. I hope they tighten it up when they get to this point in the TV series, or it will get canceled.

probably going to drop Wicked + Divine, Outcast, Wytches, and I'm getting tired of waiting on Umbral, Jupiters Legacy (or whatever it's called now), Sex Criminals, Egos. These are all Image comics and I'm worried something bad might be happening at Image, because I used to enjoy these comics very much. the first 3 have become uninteresting and the latter 4 never seem to ship anymore. I don't even remember what's happening in them.

Image is just a publisher these days, they don't oversee "their" books like Marvel or DC. Irregular scheduling seems to be the downside of creator-owned comics.

If it helps, nothing is happening in Sex Criminals.

• Upvote 1

Injection #2-So, I'm not even sure this is the same comic I was reading with issue #1.

This seems to be going the same way as Ellis' Trees. An interesting premise to start that goes absolutely nowhere.

This gets one more issue, and if the actual plot isn't explained yet, I am done.

Grant Morrison's 18 Days #1-Not bad. Especially not bad for just a buck! It wasn't just filler to make up for the cheap introductory price, it was an actual part of the story. Glad this project finally saw the light of day.

The first half of the book, where Morrison introduces some concepts from the Hindu religion, and encapsulates the 4 Ages of Man was really well done. We are definitely living in the Kali Yuga.

Annihilator #6 - Morrison concludes his sci-fi scriptwriting meta something something story set to Frazer Irving's pretty pictures. With a sentient teddy bear and guy in an ant-mask running amok. I enjoyed it.

also ordered some second-hand trades of Global Frequency (the complete trade... hopefully) & Sin City: A Dame to Kill For off the Amazon marketplace 'cause I'm a cheap bastard.

Checked out some old Warren Ellis trades - Ocean from Wildstorm, Ignition City from Avatar Press, and Fell from Image. Ocean had some interesting ideas regarding future corporations and humanity's ancestors, but was just overall average at best with some very pretty pictures. Ignition City contained a surprising lack of sex and decaptitations for an Avatar Press title, was a fun read about a space cowgirl dealing with washed-out stand-ins for all those famous old space serial charactesr like Flash Gordon but overall it feels like a tv pilot that never got picked up for a full series - like Ocean, it just sorta ends. Fell was the one that I enjoyed the most. Great art by Ben Templesmith that complemented the messed-up setting and Ellis wrote some pretty quotable one-liners. But it doesn't look like the creative team are returning to this one anytime soon.

Watched the documentary about Jadorowsky's failed Dune last night: does anybody have any idea where I need to start looking for the comics he wrote to recycle the mad shit he couldn't get filmed in 75? The main one that struck me in his description was Metabarons, but what else do I need?

I happened upon a real surprise. Jamie Delano had a Deadman short story in the pages of DC Showcase '96 #3. Showcase was an anthology title DC published in the 1990s.

It's not a bad little story. Deadman possesses an innocent mentally handicapped man on death row, because he feels that he can finally die if he's in possession of a human when they're executed.

Why this is the case...or why he never tried this before somewhere....are never spelled out.

It's more Delano's excuse to have Deadman pontificate on what this man is going through before he's killed.

While Delano goes out of his way to make his point about the inhumanity of the government executing people and making sure to point out that the man who dies is innocent, it's not a preachy story. Delano manages to be subtle, while making his point. Lots more of that flowery and existential prose Delano is known for, as a man who cannot truly die explains why he wishes he could die.

It's a good use of Deadman.

I had no idea that Delano ever wrote a Deadman story. This seems to have been Delano's forgotten comic story.

Tomorrows #1 (published by Dark Horse)-I enjoyed this. Very political dystopian science fiction. It's Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is back. You can read heavy influences of early William Gibson and Blade Runner in the issue, but that's ok. Cyberpunk, you know the drill....mega-corporaitons run the government, police State cracking down on the poor, outsider types fighting the system. The best part of the story was the hyper-intelligent chimpanzee versed in physics. So, there's that element of weirdness to the book too, making it more than a simple pastiche.

I'll be giving the second issue a look.

Been playing through the Arkham games recently so on a serious Batman tip - tried the first couple of Snyder Batman trades, not the Detective ones - the Court Of Owls story. As far as vigilante-pushed-to-their-limits stories go it was aright, they totally nailed the [ Spoiler : calling in the extended cast ] moment but, outside of that, it was nothing special.

Why don't you have a go at Grant Morrison's Batman, Batman and Robin or even the very excellent Batman Inc*?

*which I initially thought was dumb as hell but GM made it work.*

Last Night i was reading an old Hellblazer (#44 part 4 of Dangerous Habits ) and there was a promo for a Batman Year Two sequel. Did anyone read that and if so was it worth tracking down?