JasonT

Other comics we read recently

Archangel #1-William Gibson's first foray in to comics, and a comic that became extremely hard to find, as it sold out pretty quickly, I guess. Who knew? I can't say that the story is all that original. I liked it well enough, but it reads like something I've seen from someone like Warren Ellis years ago, rather than a story with anything unique to tell. It involves time travel and parallel universes, with some elements of paranormal culture. I can't say that I was really missing anything (especially for the price tag, as you're paying for a regular sized comic with a cardstock cover and back padding material), but it was worth a read. I'm not sure if I'm interested in reading more though.

The synopsis made it sound more overtly political than the comic actually seems to be.

Cryptocracy #1-Not bad, but something's missing. An overview of different conspiracy theories comes to comics. A secret society has ruled the world behind the scenes for, perhaps, centuries. However, apparently, this secret society is meant to be guiding humanity in a positive direction. I guess. It was sort of hard to tell. Like, at one point, they sabotage a scientific experiment, but the experiment was going to lead to the creation of an all-powerful military weapon, so stopping this event was for the positive. Not exactly how you expect the elite to operate. The Illuminati stuff is all a smoke-screen by the real conspiracy, used to trick unsuspecting children of the wealthy elite in to putting themselves in embarrassing situations, which the real conspiracy can then use to blackmail the wealthy elite in to following orders, hence how the conspiracy maintains its power over the wealthy elite. That's sort of a novel idea. The conspiracy is also in league with the Greys and various cryptids, which have powers that help the conspiracy. The postscript included at the back was actually interesting. I'll probably give the second issue a chance, although it's not one of the better comics I've read recently.

Now that's circular: William Gibson has done a comic that reads like a rip off of one of the comics Warren Ellis used to do ripping his novels from the '90s?

meta or what?

Just gone through the Dark Horse collection of the Chaykin/Simonson Fafhrd and Grey Mouser comics from the early '70s. Surprisingly, i didn't find these half as good as the more recent (early '90s) miniseries Chaykin did with Mignola art, but that's probably down to me being a purist, as those were a lot truer to the original stories and much funnier. That said, you do get a rare non-Leiber F&GM story here, but it isn't really in the same league as Harry Fischer's bits of The Lords of Quarmall or the origin story he wrote for the Mouser back in the '70s.

Denny O'Neil was the writer on those stories too. I really enjoyed that 1970s DC series. I haven't read the later comic though.

Really enjoyed Grant Morrison's Avatarex Destroyer of Darkness first issue. Pretty much reads like an Indian Thor story. And I am a Thor fan so...

That pretty much sums up my thoughts, as well.

I had read the first few pages of this as a preview released for Free Comic Book Day.

Just started reading Tiger Lung. Pretty sure most of you have never heard of it but I am a sucker for prehistoric fiction, especially one with supernatural elements. Pitty there's only the one trade of it.

Oh, man, Prophet was a bad Image comic from the 90s that was recently stood on it's head by Brandon Graham and Simon Roy. Deep outer world sci fi stuff, very much recommended.

• Upvote 1

Amazon has three hard copies of Tiger Lung in stock right now. I may have to bite on that

Oh, man, Prophet was a bad Image comic from the 90s that was recently stood on it's head by Brandon Graham and Simon Roy. Deep outer world sci fi stuff, very much recommended.

Wait that Prophet ? I have a crossover with him and Cable from ages ago. It has a blue dude look into a glass cube and then being sucked inside and the token hostage female character gets one panel in the background.

So it's good then ?

Edit: Yeah it's hard to find in other ways too. Hint hint.

Yeah, probably one and the same.

I thought the new take was very good. Set against the back drop of an intergalactic war that the Earth lost several thousand years ago. Highly recommended. Really not at all like it's predecessor aside from the name. trades should be readily available and cheap.

Yeah, probably one and the same.

I thought the new take was very good. Set against the back drop of an intergalactic war that the Earth lost several thousand years ago. Highly recommended. Really not at all like it's predecessor aside from the name. trades should be readily available and cheap.

Not sure, did you ever read Muktuk Wolfsbreath, the Vertigo limited series I mean ? This is very similar to that, though a bit better written because the Terry LaBan had to introduce his characters and a whole bunch of shamanic concepts as well as have a plot with a big twist wrap up in only 3 issues so that's excusable. Haven't read that newer, seemingly more comedic version of Muktuk though.

I read Muktuk but it didn't really latch on

Probably was not in the mood for comedy at the time. I dunno

I read Muktuk but it didn't really latch on

Probably was not in the mood for comedy at the time. I dunno

It was an interesting thing to focus on, but I guess it needed to be longer to properly shine.

Also finished Tiger Lung now. Pretty good. Given how much time and effort the author has put into this, it's sad that this trade is all thee is.

Can we get one story about nomadic Shamen fighting Supernatural evil that will maybe at least get the obligatory 12 issues please ?

Yeah, I remember Muktuk! That was a fun book. I always like LaBan's stuff.

Yeah, that was the same Prophet, from the Cable cross-over, but this version of Prophet is very different from that original Image book. It's pretty much reinterpreting Prophet as Lone Sloane, if you are familiar with that series from Heavy Metal. It was reprinted by Dark Horse Comics in the 1990s, which is where I came across the series.

Yeah, I remember Muktuk! That was a fun book. I always like LaBan's stuff.

Yeah, that was the same Prophet, from the Cable cross-over, but this version of Prophet is very different from that original Image book. It's pretty much reinterpreting Prophet as Lone Sloane, if you are familiar with that series from Heavy Metal. It was reprinted by Dark Horse Comics in the 1990s, which is where I came across the series.

Nope. The only Heavy Metal thing I've ever seen is the not very good second movie.

Alters #1 by Paul Jenkins-I wasn't very impressed. Jenkins is a better writer than this, and this comic read as if a novice were writing it. The story was very disjointed. It felt like the reader was dropped in the middle of a story, without any explanation for the setting. Too much was happening in this story.

For some reason, people are getting superpowers, and being called "Alters"? Are they meant to be the Inhumans?

There's a group....of scientists?....who are meant to be studying the "Alters"....I guess? They weren't properly introduced.

There's another guy....who's representing the government?....who is meant to be the villain, and he wants to kill the Alters....for some reason?

The background of the society introduced in to the story isn't clear, at all.

Then, there's the main character, who is an Alter teenager....who just happens to be transsexual, I guess? It isn't treated as a big deal in the comic (which is a tine thing), but at the same time, it isn't subtle about this fact either, as the dialogue just tells the reader, "this kid is a transsexual". OK, the book doesn't bother to explain any details of the story, but decides to just be obvious with this one fact. I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the fact that "Chalice" is an "Alter"?

I just couldn't get in to this book. I can't be bothered to stick with it. I was disappointed.

Electric Sublime #1 (published by IDW)-I picked this up on a whim, because IDW had really been advertising it, and the cover looked really interesting. I really enjoyed this first issue, and plan to look out for the second.

It involves terrorists who have weaponized art....but, what that means, is that they (for example) have made the Mona Lisa wink, and this has somehow created a wave of insanity among people who see it. The main character has the ability to travel within paintings.

I've never heard of the writer before (W. Maxwell Price), and if this is his first series, then he's really talented, as the writing was of quite high quality. Not what you'd expect from a writer just starting out in comic books.

Thanks to the Indy Halloween Sale on Comixology, I'm currently reading through Requiem Vampire Knight by Pat "Charley's War" Mills and Olivier Ledroit. It's about a Nazi officer killed during WW2 who finds himself resurrected in hell as a vampire. It's kind-of-nuts but looks fucking amazing.

Mills railing against his perceptions of PC culture does go a little far at times and it's kind of disappointing to see someone whose work had a huge impact on me at an early age espouse some off-colour opinions but whatever, it's still a lot of fun.

8 of the 9 currently available 50 page volumes (slated to run to 13) are available for 2 bucks a piece and are well worth it for the art alone. If you're not at work, look some of it up online.

• Upvote 1

The art is absolutely beautiful, and some of the humour in it more or less makes up for the ranting and the thin stories.

The third issue of Andy Diggle's James Bond: Hammerhead took me around two minutes to read. I believe this is called a "flickbook".