JasonT

Other comics we read recently

I'm so into Mark Russell's work right now I'd read his shopping lists and tweet about them, and even I think greenlighting that book was a poor decision for DC.

It has crossed my mind that the comic might have been commissioned purely in the hope that they would have to cancel it, thereby making Vertigo look a bit shakier and less worth continuing as an imprint.

10 hours ago, JasonT said:

I'm so into Mark Russell's work right now I'd read his shopping lists and tweet about them, and even I think greenlighting that book was a poor decision for DC.

Yeah, but Vertigo was willing to publish that Punk Rock Jesus thing, which was basically "being blasphemous to seem cool".

On 1/17/2019 at 2:54 PM, Christian said:

Berger Books continues to show promise for Dark Horse. Two new books have been announced for early 2019; a new J.M. DeMatteis series and a creator owned book from G. Willow Wilson.

Wilson's book will be a science fiction story with political overtones.

DeMatteis' new series is called the Girl in the Bay, and sounds like a return to the sorts of themes used in his early work at Vertigo.

Yeah it's a nice comic.

I like how the look of some characters resonates with Seekers. And the mystery.

Stronghold #1 (Aftershock) was not good. I was expecting something akin to Heinlein's classic of solipsism, "They", but this was not that.

I wouldn't really describe this as "cosmic horror", especially when the book lost me by verging in to superhuman territory.

Yes, there were rumblings about "end of the world", but it was lost amidst too much to distract from any palpable atmospherics (i.e. superheroics).

The writing wasn't great, and was pretty awkward at times.

I have zero interest in this comic. There was a germ of a good idea hidden amongst this plot, but what was put on the page was something of a mess.

Went through Alan Moore's Providence, really quite something....can't remember the last thing from him I enjoyed this much.

Yeah Ennis is not a writer who has any reason to write in 616 or ultimate continuity, he's not going to work off it and the things he wants to do don't really fit with marvel anyway. He's also gotten much better at writing in an American cadence without the characters sounding Irish which I think has always been a weakness of his.

For fans of Christopher Priest, aka the writer once known as Jim Owsley, he has a new project coming up from Dynamite and it's... Vampirella. As he puts it, Vampirella as "an allegory for how we treat each other; for racism, xenophobia, homophobia, and religious persecution."

+1

If it isn't illustrated by Jose Gonzalez, I don't much care who's writing a Vampirella comic, to be honest. Wouldn't it be nice if they just did a few big archives of the original Warren strips and gave up on these failed attempts to revamp and relaunch the character that whoever owns the rights this year has been trotting out since the early '90s?

I just reread the article in greater detail, and I got to Priest's pitch of Vampirella as a Martian who looks like a vampire and is mistaken for and treated as a vampire.

I'm not really familiar with Vampirella outside of her outfit, but I don't think that's the smartest way to go about doing an allegory for serious issues.

16 hours ago, GottaGetAGrip said:

I just reread the article in greater detail, and I got to Priest's pitch of Vampirella as a Martian who looks like a vampire and is mistaken for and treated as a vampire.

As opposed to an alien from Draculon who looks like a vampire and is mistaken for and treated as a vampire. 😉

(Still, that beats Harris insisting that she'd imagined Draculon because she was really from Hell and she needed to have a screen memory because her feeble mind couldn't cope with the true horror of her existence, I suppose...)

Sweet musky balls dept:

I've just gone through the first issue of Azzarello and Lovatt's (the artist from Black Mask's There's Nothing There) Faithless, an erotic horror story. It's obviously Azz trying to do a '70s Heavy Metal type story, so Lovatt's art makes for a good fit. The protagonist is a DIY occultist who has a strange day, after crafting a new spell at the story's start. (This isn't explicitly tied to the way she gets lucky as soon as she gets up to leave the coffee shop where she's seen scribbling glyphs into a notebook: some writers would be stressing that every time she opens her mouth thereafter.) The sex and masturbation scenes rather suit Lovatt's art style, and there's a cracking (and icky: on film it'd be a jump scare) final splash page to lure the reader in to find out what happens next. She might not be Guido Crepax or Milo Manara, but she does tick that "smutty comics should be worth buying for the artwork even if you don't care about the story" box very firmly, which is the main thing here. As in TNT there's some very nice page layouts going on as well. (For those who didn't see TNT, Lovatt's art is a little akin to a looser but fancier John M Burns, so works very well for erotica indeed.)

Using his own characters means that Azzarello can have them investigate bi stuff without howls of rage from long term readers, so that and the erotic horror business leaves me wondering if it might end with a mysterious death in a fetish club. This is a lot better than Ashes and Dust, though...

Burned through Brubaker and Phillips' Kill Or Be Killed over the last couple of nights.  Pretty good though the narrative device quickly wore out its welcome for me. 

The ending felt very much like something nineteen year old me would have written, though clearly with a level of craft I could only aspire to.  

Speaking of those two, I've been going through Criminal from the first book (Coward) and am part way through the second (Lawless). Great stuff. Not only does he spin a  good crime drama, but he's building a connected universe as well.