metanoia

Best comic find

Inspired by Slinkers post what is the rarest or undervalued comics you've ever laid your hands on?

Here's mine....

When I was at college (20 years ago) a friend at the time asked me if I wanted to buy a pile of old comics off him as he knew I collected them. I flicked through them and they were mostly old Marvel stuff of which I knew little about, but I guessed some of them were reasonably valuable. I asked him how much he wanted for them and he said how much are you offering, I offered him £10 and he was overjoyed.

Amazing Spiderman #14 First appearance of the Green Goblin was the most valuable - I've still got it. It's not in great shape, but I'm not asking for my £10 back.

i inspired a post? red_smile.gif

that spawn #1 is supposedly the most valuable comic from that haul i just made.

I don't really know shit about what's valuable and what's not, but back in the 70's the Joker got his own title for a bit. I have a couple of those, one of which being the first issue. I also have a copy of Red Rain (you know that Batman Vs Dracula thing) that has a printing error on two pages. I have the 4 issue Death in the Family arc where they killed off the second Robin (and good riddance if you ask me). I dunno. Are any of those valuable?

Not to me. :tongue:

In an obscure used book store, in some Melbourne suburb in 1992, I spotted a copy of Uncle Scrooge #219 for a dollar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_the_Sun

At the time it was valued at some ridiculous price, and it still goes for $US50 mint. But it's not the dollar value, which I think is meaningless; it's the fact that, in 1992, you just couldn't find that comic anywhere.

Mine is Flex Mentallo # 1and 2. I first bought # 3and 4 by chance and I thought it would be easy to find 1 and 2 but wasn´t that easy. Five years late, my mother came across that issues in a comic book shop and bought to me. I consider that series a jewel in my collection.

I was once given a stack of pulps and a couple of golden age comics. The pulps included the Weird Tales which printed Lovecraft's Reanimator. Sold them individually on eBay for a total of $250 odd dollars.

Oh, I've gotten so many great deals on comics over the years.

Just for instance, there's a used book store near here that sells comics. They have tons of comics. Just boxes and boxes stacked on top of each other, so many comics, all totally unorganized, they just don't care about their comic stock. So, they sell all their comics for a dollar a piece. Now, granted, the effort it takes to dig through all these boxes makes the eventual deals you find worth it, because you damn well work to get to any great finds. But, once you take the time out of your day and spend a couple of hours sifting through boxes after boxes of random comics, you can find some treasures hidden away for a buck. Just all sorts of great books....the entire Defenders series I picked up there, for one.

But, I think my top answer might be at a comic convention back in 2001. The store was going out of business and was selling most of their stock for a quarter a book. It was mostly newer comics you can find anywhere for nothing. But, they had the entire classic period of Marvel's Star Wars available for a quarter. Right through the very end of the Archie Goodwin run (and this was before the Dark Horse Trades, so these were very hard finds), I believe that's issues #1-50. Great bargain.

Also, my friend owns a comic store, and he got in a new collection of comics he had bought on the cheap. He said he briefly sorted through the box and didn't see anything great, but said I could look in it. He was right...except for a copy of Marvel's Conan #1. He missed that, and since he said he was going to take the box home and toss it in his garage, he wouldn't have known he had it anyway, so he let me have it for only $10.

On the pricier side, but I came across copies of Uncanny X-Men (1963 series) #2, 3, 4, 94, Iron Man (vol. 1) #1, and Fantastic Four (1st series) #8, 9, 10 all for under $100, and that's a deal for those books.