JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #249

24 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, for #249

Yeah, that's what I thought too — I wasn't aware there was a "synchronicity highway" element to Hellblazer until Andy said there was, then got rid of it for us.

Yeah, that's what I thought too — I wasn't aware there was a "synchronicity highway" element to Hellblazer until Andy said there was, then got rid of it for us.

Jenkins used it pretty overtly in Difficult Beginings, the Ravenscar issue ties in nicely to Andy's run.

But I think I first saw it used in Gaiman's Books of Magic.

That element of Hellblazer goes all the way back to the Delano days.

Would anyone care to do a definitive list of references to it?

Anyone with a Hellblazer or Swamp Thing website, for example? :wink:

I don't really care about the status of the "synchronicity highway" at all because it's been used as a convenient plot device when certain writers wanted to use it and otherwise totally ignored. It was never even fully fleshed out as a theme.

But, I don't see it as in anyway anything akin to a superhero power, although some writers could choose to use it that way if they so chose, and the same applies just as readily to any mystical elements to John's character (just look at Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate to see how magic can be used as a "superpower"), but that'd also be a thematic misreading, as it's simply a concept created by Carl Jung given a somewhat literal substance, with the "highway" motif (I will state that I saw Diggle taking a few concepts from earlier Hellblazer continuity and giving them a less metaphorical usage than I felt was originally intended). It's something that all humans can tap into at periodic intervals in their lives, and supposedly do so even if it is subconsciously. John was just made more aware and was able to make better use of it, but in the Jungian sense, John would hardly be alone. It's an occult way to give meaning to seemingly supernatural events in reality, as far as the Jungian conception. Others of a less mystic inclination, who see many of Jung's ideas as pseudo-science, would explain synchronicity as "luck" (or to get technical, they refer to the effect as confirmation bias).

I was also pretty sure that the idea was introduced by Gaiman in the Books of Magic mini-series.

Now, it's a question of how often was it explicitly mentioned in the Hellblazer canon, versus examples being shown without stating outright.

I don't remember the concept being addressed specifically by Delano. As far as I remember, Jenkins used it expressly, but outside of Delano's run, my memory of Hellblazer can be foggy.

I was also pretty sure that the idea was introduced by Gaiman in the Books of Magic mini-series.

Now, it's a question of how often was it explicitly mentioned in the Hellblazer canon, versus examples being shown without stating outright.

I don't remember the concept being addressed specifically by Delano. As far as I remember, Jenkins used it expressly, but outside of Delano's run, my memory of Hellblazer can be foggy.

I had to look it up to be sure--I'd remembered Constantine discussing synchronicity in the early days of Hellblazer, but it turns out it was in Swamp Thing #73, which takes place during the first handful of Delano issues.

...but far too sudden an ending for the story, let alone the whole run.

i agree with the above comment, only i didn't find the issue to be that good. while i didn't rank it at "1", this is the lowest rank i've ever given an issue since i came here and was granted the right to vote. even with it involving a character with a conflict i considered resolved, it started off prmising. but the ending was such that i shook my head when it was done. pissed me off a little, it did. then i hit the bong, re-read it, and it took my buzz away and made me have to go to the bathroom. only the final issue of 'the filth' had more of an effect upon my excretory functions.

sorry, andy, i loved most of your run, but you seem to have gone and left hellblazer before you were through writing for it and left us where we were at the end of mina's run. i don't want to be there again. it was cold there and nothing was funny and someone kept poking me with a coathanger...wait a minute...

... then i hit the bong, re-read it, and it took my buzz away...

:laugh: Possibly the most damning review of a comic ever.

... and someone kept poking me with a coathanger...

Did anyone else notice that Leo drew the wrong sort of coathanger on page 14? biggrin.gif

... and someone kept poking me with a coathanger...

Did anyone else notice that Leo drew the wrong sort of coathanger on page 14? biggrin.gif

Yeah, that really threw me.

I'm sorry, but this didn't really work for me. The Golden Boy seemed a bit contrived, and the dialogue a bit stilted. I've mostly enjoyed Diggle's run, but this ending was a bit of a letdown for me.

I again quite enjoyed this ending, this denouement, to Andy's excellent, if all too brief, run. It might be fan boy wank, but it serves to reset the character, and I look forward to what future writers will bring (while wishing to see what Andy would have done). They had better not Ennis me again.

Ade, should future writers wish to retain the synchronicity highway, the means is simple: John is now the Laughing Magician.