ethan

Article

I'm a writer for the New York Daily News (it's a newspaper for those of you from Cardiff) -- and also a longtime Hellblazer reader -- working on an article on how much (or how little) Hollywood caters to the original fans when they mine comic books for movies. It's pegged to "Constantine," so I was hoping a few of you would email me back with your thoughts on the subject.

Having seen the movie, and how much it deviated from the comic books (Chaz is played by the star of Disney's "Holes!"), I want to know: As fans, are you enthusiastic about a multi-million dollar pic being made out of your favorite comic book? Do you have a sense of satisfaction that your good tastes have been vindicated or do you wish Hellblazer would have remained the secret treasure of a select and worthy few? Do you forgive the changes that are made in an effort to make it more accessible to mainstream audiences.

My email address is esacks@web.nydailynews.com

Any response is appreciated. Please include your full name, the city, state (or country) where you're from, your age, your occupation and how long you've been reading Hellblazer. (whatever quote is used needs to be attributed or the paper won't use it.)

Thanks,

Ethan Sacks

P.S. I'll post a link to the article when it's done.

I'm up for it. Why not?

What's your deadline?

And, you know, if you are actually a Hellblazer/comics fan, do feel free to have a chat in the other forums. We won't bite. You might want to be wary of upsetting the Cardiff contingent though, Ethan...

EDIT: I just accidentally sent an unfinished e-mail to your address (it'll appear on the list as "James Wilkinson" or wilko_3000@yahoo.com). Please ignore/delete it.

Message sent.

Good luck with your article Ethan. Be sure to stick around and chat with us a bit.

So speaks a Geordie with a posh accent?

What's the point of that?

The whole point of having Geordies is so that we can laugh at the fact that there is more of a need for bilingual signs in the North East than there is in Wales.

Yeah, but my dad's bigger than your dad. So there.

while checking on the New York Daily News I found this:

Demonslayer

Master comic book writer Alan Moore invented John Constantine as an arrogant, cynical Sting lookalike from Newcastle, England, who just happened to have an inside track on all things magical and mystical.

For the movie version, "Constantine," which opens Feb. 18, the character has been Americanized and is portrayed by Keanu Reeves as a "Dirty Harry of the occult."

Rachel Weisz plays Angela, an L.A. cop who crosses his path while investigating her twin sister's death. She soon discovers that in Constantine's world, semi-demons and angels are engaged in a perpetual struggle to sway humanity below the surface of everyday reality.

Problem is, bigger and badder demons are climbing into the world from the deepest recesses of Hell. Even Satan (Peter Stormare), who holds a longstanding grudge against Constantine, makes an appearance. So Constantine and Angela join forces to combat his dark legions.

Audiences can expect some intense effects and nasty occultism, which will likely kick the film's "Buffy"/"Angel"-like themes into much higher gear.

Henry Cabot Beck

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/m...6p-234266c.html

"Buffy/Angel themes" - What's not to love? :-?

If I read another article with that bit from Francis going on about "oh, those moany comic reading bastards, they hate the movie cause Keanu didn't dye his hair" I'll go fricking insane - be nice to see a half-decent effort at covering our side of the conversation.

I wrote a very thoughtful, even-handed essay that didn't rely too heavily on listing every change and why that change was shit.

I know he's probably going to just take a few sentences here and there, but still.

I wrote a very thoughtful, even-handed essay that didn't rely too heavily on listing every change and why that change was shit.

I know he's probably going to just take a few sentences here and there, but still.

I wrote him and told him that it wasn't exactly Hellblazer, and I'm sorry for that, but it's a good movie just the same.

:-)

Guest spiderlegs

I wrote mine and didn't cuss once. You'd all be proud of me as I can't go too fucking long without cussing, for fuck's sake!

Fuck yeah!

I wrote him and told him that it wasn't exactly Hellblazer, and I'm sorry for that, but it's a good movie just the same.

:-)

Aww, you're sweet.

i'll be sure to write big words and try t' sound smart... ;)

<<EDIT>>>

done. and it was fun mentioning "Hellblazer translator" as my occupation... :p

I rambled and swore a lot and sent him 180 copies of the same E-mail.

Constantine, best comic, good, movie, not good, bad, want Leaving Las Vegas, no, Hellblazer, Jamie Delano, fucking bastards, go to hell, want Hollywood, in America, W. Bush, W. Bush, W. Bush....assholes! Want Hellblazer, good, not good, movie, bad, cinema corrupting the youthful minds of Serbian children! OH GOD! NO! FUCK! Hellblazer. Read!!!

Thank you,

Christian

Totally unrelated Iknow, but I'm curious: TearsInRain, are you male or female?