Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Classic comics of 2008

There's another thread for the best comics of 2008 here: http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7555

The thread you're reading now is for comics that are really special or significant works in the medium — think Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, classic Sandman.

Did anything of that calibre come out in 2008?

My answer is no.

What's your answer?

I am not sure what issues actually came out in 2008, but regardless, the entire 12 issue run of All-Star Superman will surely go down in history.

We will always need it as yet another reminder of how great Morrison can be at writing.

I have little doubt that if Brubaker continues his quality (and if if they actually stick with Rogers' death) on Captain America his run as well will be right up there. Specifically for 2008 ssues #34-current. After killing an icon and looking to keep it that way, Brubaker even managed to make the book an awesome read despite the title character being absent. Then he made believers out of us that James "Bucky" Barnes, Cap's former sidekick, could actually fill the shoes of such a great hero.

There has also been some damn great art from Epting, et al.

yeah, all star superman, and walking dead.

walking dead, from about issue 42 to 50 (i'm guestimating) had its best run over the course of its existence, imo.

iAll-Star Superman. That's it, but since it's easily the best superhero comic of the past two decades, that's nothing to be sniffed at.

Brubaker's Cap is good, but it's not DKR/Watchmen good. If it sticks to its current quality level, it'll be remembered on a par with stuff like Miller's Daredevil, Byrne's Fantastic Four and Simonson's Thor as one of the classic post-'60s Marvel runs, but there's still quite a gap between that and the likes of Watchmen.

I'm going to politely disagree about The Walking Dead and leave it at that, I think. I'm prepared to believe that the book's gotten a lot better since the run of absolute dreck which led me to drop it a couple of years ago, but the very nature of the book would have to have fundamentally changed for it to be in with a chance of ending up among the all-time greats, and I don't believe that it has.

It's not that there aren't other good books out there, but only A*S comes close to that "redefining the limits of the genre/medium" quality which the other books you mentioned share.

(See my comments for the Best of 2008 thread for more info from me)

All-Star Superman gets my nod.

Stands head and shoulders above any comic series from this year (and the past couple of years, although last year had a few classic Graphic Novels).

I left it off my one series Best of 2008 nomination because I say it is a "classic" and better than just the "year 2008" (which, let's face it, as far as years hasn't exactly been one of more memorable years).

I'm going to politely disagree about The Walking Dead and leave it at that, I think. I'm prepared to believe that the book's gotten a lot better since the run of absolute dreck which led me to drop it a couple of years ago, but the very nature of the book would have to have fundamentally changed for it to be in with a chance of ending up among the all-time greats, and I don't believe that it has.

but see, prior to issue #40 something (sorry), i would totally agree with you. i thought it sucked and stopped reading it

when they settled into the prison, and really, it tanked prior to that. that whole governor crap when the good guys went to his town was horrible, as was the whole hack the governor to hell vengeance issue. but seeing all that comfortable complacency distill into terror, panic, and grief as main characters are gunned down left and right (they killed a baby--who does that in pop culture?)

was a bold move, and to kirkman's credit, he pulled it off beautifully. it's starting to bog down again with #55, but i suspect the cliffhanger ending means that will change soon. i don't know, man. walking dead is the only comic i've ever totally written off and came drooling back for. everything else i dropped stayed dropped. keep in mind, i've recently re-read the entire series, too, so it's fresh on my mind. that doesn't make it good, but offers the perspective of seeing the tale as a whole, easily marking its highs and lows.

i think walking dead easily tops its genre, as far as zombie books go. not the whole zombie genre, but the comic portion of the zombie genre. it's character driven--it's bigggest strength as well as its most frustrating weakness. that makes it different to me. that elevates it to a platform all its own. it's not there with sandman or all star superman or the like, you're correct. but it's above most other current titles. i can dissect its weaknesses, too, but i'll refrain from that currently while i'm feeling me some dead walk love. feel me! touch my butt!

That's good to hear. I was enjoying the book quite a lot before the bit you mention where everything went to shit - if it's really gone back to form since then, I might dive back in. I'll download a few issues to check it out, and if I like 'em I'll probably get caught up with the trades. Cheers!

my ex bought me the first 6 trades, so i lucked into just having to buy the next 2 and the outstanding single issues.

but yeah, give her a whirl and see.

the turn rick's character (from fearless cop leader to bawling nutjob)

is epic, itself.

like I said in the best comics 2008 thread, the only one from the top of my head is Three Shadows by Cyril Pedrosa. oh, and Abandoned Cars by Tim Lane. that was a magnificent collection of short comics.

I agree with All Star Superman.

And the hardcover for Strange Embrace came out this year, so I'm saying that! (And I will continue to pimp this damn book till more people read it, dammit! :witchhunt:)

Brubaker's Cap is good, but it's not DKR/Watchmen good. If it sticks to its current quality level, it'll be remembered on a par with stuff like Miller's Daredevil, Byrne's Fantastic Four and Simonson's Thor as one of the classic post-'60s Marvel runs, but there's still quite a gap between that and the likes of Watchmen.

It's great, but it's not Miller DD great.

That's just special.

I'm sure that you're right and it will be remembered as much but so far it just isn't.

The tail end of Punisher Max may not have revolutionalised anything, but if I was aiming for that second place position (Behind ASS ofcourse) that didn't quite make it genre defining wise, it would be MAX Punisher and Criminal respectively.

I think Ennis' efforts on the Punisher will be missed far more than the great Brubaker on Cap etc.

I take it mentioning I Was Kidnapped By Lesbian Pirates From Outer Space in this thread would be a bad idea?