teacher723

Milligan on Constantine

I need to look and see what the ratio of British to American writers is for the sum of Hellblazer.

Off the top of my head, it's currently 11-2, with two more in the "neither" category. I could be forgetting about someone, but I don't think so.

This is a story about how actions of long ago can have devastating effects on the present. So when Constantine is forced to dig up some unpleasant episodes in his own past – and there have been a lot of those – he threatens to fatally infect any chance he has for happiness.

*Please let it be new stuff he's making up himself, please let it be new stuff he's making up himself...*

Generally a promising interview, although I'm still steeling myself for disappointment (while fervently hoping to be pleasantly surprised, obviously). Sounds like he's got a decent grasp of the character, at any rate - although to be honest, the only HB writer to really have failed on that count is Azzarello, and even he had his moments.

It's astonishing just how many Hellblazer stories can be boiled down to being "about how actions of long ago can have devastating effects on the present", when you think about it. Not just the recent ones, either, for all my bitching about archaeology - it's been a recurring theme for the character since before he even got his own title.

I need to look and see what the ratio of British to American writers is for the sum of Hellblazer.

Off the top of my head, it's currently 11-2, with two more in the "neither" category. I could be forgetting about someone, but I don't think so.

Is one of those "neithers" Eddie Campbell?

Because, while I agree with your list, JasonT reminded me a while ago that Campbell is actually from Scotland not Australia. So, Campbell could count as "neither" or it could be considered 12-2 with one "neither", depending on your take.

If you're not talking about Campbell, then I'm not sure who the second "neither" is and you can enlighten me, because Campbell is the only other name I can come up with.

Is one of those "neithers" Eddie Campbell?

Because, while I agree with your list, JasonT reminded me a while ago that Campbell is actually from Scotland not Australia. So, Campbell could count as "neither" or it could be considered 12-2 with one "neither", depending on your take.

Thanks for the correction - I was indeed thinking of Campbell (I remember the discussion you're referring to, and thought at the time "well, I'll remember that next time". No such luck, apparently).

I've checked, by the way, and with Cambell suitably relocated, it is indeed 12-2 (1).

Mark: Where'd you put Darko Macan and Simon Oliver?

Christian: You actually listen?! :ohmy::smile:

It was good to finally see some kind of publicity for Peter Milligan, but it reads less like "interview" and more like "press release". They didn't address the most obvious question, "how did you come to be the new Hellblazer writer?"

Mark: Where'd you put Darko Macan and Simon Oliver?

"Other" and "Not on the list because he's never written an issue of Hellblazer", respectively. I'd have thought that was obvious.

Right, for anyone too lazy to check:

British:

Jamie Delano

Grant Morrison

Neil Gaiman

Dick Foreman

Garth Ennis

John Smith

Eddie Campbell

Paul Jenkins

Warren Ellis

Mike Carey

Denise Mina

Andy Diggle

Americans:

Brian Azzarello

Jason Aaron

Other:

Darko Macan

Oliver doesn't count. He never wrote for Hellblazer proper.

But, he was born and raised in England and then moved to America, so....

Jason Aaron and Brian Azzarello are the American two.

Darko Macan would be the "neither".

(Redundancy.)

"Other" and "Not on the list because he's never written an issue of Hellblazer", respectively. I'd have thought that was obvious.

I couldn't be arsed thinking that hard about it. I'd have thought that was obvious.

"Chas : The Knowledge"

:laugh:

You couldn't even be arsed to think hard enough to figure out where a Croatian might fit into a list of "British", "American", and "Other"? Wow, you're even lazier than me.

:tongue:

Also, I just re-read the post before John's, and got what he was referring to. Laughy-face indeed.

Tell you the truth, I didn't know if your "other" was Darko, or one of the stateless internationals: Simon Oliver (yes, yes...) or Eddie Campbell. I thought you might have forgotten about Darko; I reckon more than half the people on this forum have, or never knew he was a Hellblazer writer in the first place.

Perhaps we should stop flogging this dead horse before someone comes along to say the intarweb always turns into this kind of nitpickery.

I suppose the geography I’m most interested in exploring is his emotional and psychological geography. What Constantine carries around inside him tends to be at least as engaging as anything going on outside.

I like the cut of his jib.

Really looking forward to seeing what Milligan has in line of old Constantine.

Perhaps we should stop flogging this dead horse before someone comes along to say the intarweb always turns into this kind of nitpickery.

Seems reasonable. You've answered all my outstanding questions anyway, so I'm done. :hattip:

And yes, welcome to the boards, Teacher723. Like Jason says, head on over to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and....well...introduce yourself.

Great. He's saying all the right things. I do think that Milligan's in a position where he doesn't do anything he doesn't want to and he sounds like he thinks Constantine and the series itself is something he can get his teeth into.

As Mark said, I hope Milligan is going to mine some NEW histories for John but I always felt that Milligan would want to do his own thing. Still bloody psyched - like a second adolescence.

Great. He's saying all the right things. I do think that Milligan's in a position where he doesn't do anything he doesn't want to and he sounds like he thinks Constantine and the series itself is something he can get his teeth into.

He's not saying the wrong things, at any rate. As JasonT points out, he doesn't actually say much of substance - a lot of that is standard soundbite stuff, which could have been churned out by almost any incoming writer prior to their run. Most of the "new" information (new girlfriend for John, slightly-politicized stories delving into the past) is stuff which had already been revealed in the solicitation for #251.

Sorry if this makes me sound like a grouch.

If it works as promised - ie., if the individual stories actually are effectively self-contained, while still servicing a larger framework, be it thematic, conceptual or narrative - that's pretty much the ideal format for me. Problem is, that's pretty much exactly how Diggle's run could have been described, and see how well that worked out for me...there's many a slip 'twixt etc etc etc.

Of course, I'd still rather see Vertigo cancel the monthly title and replace it with a series of regular, self-contained minis/OGNs. But we've discussed that before, and as I recall, it was pretty much Ade and I versus Everybody Else, so I'm happy enough to concede the point on that one.

Ah, you were on the side of righteousness and common sense too, were you? Sorry, memory like a sieve.

I remember there were a few of us, but we were heavily outnumbered by the wrongheaded creatures of habit.

Is no problem.

I am looking forward to seeing what Milligan does with the book. I do feel that his "voice" is suitably different to any we've heard so far on the book and I'm also fairly sure that on the rare occasions he does reference previous continuity it'll be far different from what we're used to.

However, I'm not a fan of the uber-arc and I think that he could be the final nail in the book's coffin as most HB fans love Ennis and I'm pretty sure (read: hopeful) that Milligan's run'll be about as different from Ennis' as it's possible to be.

Of course, I'd still rather see Vertigo cancel the monthly title and replace it with a series of regular, self-contained minis/OGNs.

I think, at this point, you should just make that your signature to save you typing it out every fourth post! :wink:

(btw - I wasn't opposed to your idea either. Like you, I just really want to read good Hellblazer stories as often as possible. No preference to format)

They didn't address the most obvious question, "how did you come to be the new Hellblazer writer?"

"Because Si Spencer has been banned from ever writing for Vertigo again after The Mod SquadThe Vinyl Underground tanked, and Brian K Vaugn didn't want the job."