Sign in to follow this  
Venkman

Fave Longer Stories

There's a stong prediliction for the single issue stories or two-parters round these parts. But there must be one or two stories told over lots of issues that still had you hanging month after month. Which ones do YOU like?

RULES:

1. Stories must be told over FIVE issues or more.

2. No miniseries. Must be part of a bigger ongoing series (ie - Watchmen/V for Vendetta don't count!)

A few faves off the top of my head but I will be back with more (plus check the issue count on each of these when I'm back at home)...

100 Bullets - 'Wylie Runs the Voodoo Down' (7 issues...or 8 if you count the epilogue)

The Sandman - 'Season of Mists' (lots of issues)

Lucifer - 'Morningstar' (6 issues)

Swamp Thing - 'Earth to Earth' (5 issues)

Over to you...

A few off the top of me head:

Action Comics #858-863 - The recent Legion of Superheroes arc.

Usagi Yojimbo vol. III #13-22- The Grasscutter arc.

Immortal Iron Fist #1-7

Flash #170-176 - The Blood Will Run arc.

Daredevil #227-233 - Born Again

100 Bullets - 'Wylie Runs the Voodoo Down' (7 issues...or 8 if you count the epilogue)

that's from 8 the hard way, right? that's by far one of the best, saddest, intense story arcs of 100 bullets, easily my favorite trade of the series (and the point to which i have collected, having just single issues from #50 and up). gabe/marty the horn player is one of the most tragic barely used supporting characters i've ever read. and in a book that routinely features children in the role of hitman, or hard luck fathers meeting their fates working extra shifts to pay for doctor bills, that's saying something. he's got two or three lines, then a nice scene with wylie and the gun, then the next scene he was in, he was the star. unforgettable. after that scene, i put the book down, poured myself a drink and walked outside, it moved me so.

i hope that's the story you refer, if not, then it's the one that gets my vote.

the walking dead doesn't have 'story arcs', per se, but i found the issues contained within trade #8, 'made to suffer' the very best of walking dead to date. tragic, horrifying, intense, with everything at stake and almost everything lost, serving as a 'soft reboot' for a title that had mired down for a long time. it's a different book now, based on the events which took place in 'made to suffer.'

the sandman - the kindly ones

i'll need to go through my collection when i have another hand and can sit for long periods of time. and lift stuff.

that's from 8 the hard way, right?

Yeah, that's the one. I think Wylie's evolution is one of the more accessible story arcs in the book. The Counterfifth Detective probably belongs on my list too (5 issues) for how fun and mysterious it is but I think that, beyond the odd single-issue stories, 'Wylie runs the Voodoo down' is the chunky crown jewel of the series.

I have no idea how many issues of Love & Rockets comprise "The Death of Speedy" but I nominate it anyway.

This is a might hard, as I don't often enjoy longer story-arcs like this, and the good ones I can think of have been mentioned.

Sandman's Seasons of Mists

Daredevil's Born Again

Lucifer's Morningstar

I'll nominate any of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol that qualifies, except for the final story-arc (The Candlemaker) which was just an excuse for Morrison to slaughter everyone. The almost perfect series except for that one story, although Morrison did follow it up with one of the greatest endings in comic history.

I believe that the Steven Engelhart "Sise-Neg" story-arc is found in Marvel Premiere #9-14, so that would count. It's one of my favourite stories ever, so I nominate it anyway.

How about the Sephiroth epic from Alan Moore's Promethea? That's lots of issues.

And, I know this is probably bending the rules, but Denny O'Neil's Tony Stark alcoholic/Obadiah Stane saga in Iron Man. That epic lasted for about 30 issues altogether.

Breakdowns from Justice League America/Europe. The Giffen/DeMatteis team wraps up their time with a story that's a bit overlong, but provides a nice segue into the more serious tone the books would take on following their departure.

Night & Day from Jame's Robinson's Starman. The story takes place in the same day and each issue focuses on the experiences of a single person during that day (except the first and last issue which focus on Jack's Day). Robinson and Harris at their best, i think.

There's a load of artists besides Harris on that one though, Dave: each character gets a different artist, do they not? (It's a fine story though, you're right.)

Off the top of me head (probably meaning there'll be a sequel post later):

Strontium Dog : The Final Solution (Now sadly besmirched as "that nerdy comic Simon Pegg was wittering about in Spaced", this is a fine story that still leaves a lump in the throat. Precisely the sort of envoi 2000AD should give more of its characters, frankly)

Shade: A Season In Hell (It's a terrible shame the comic didn't just stop with the end of this one: there was some fine stuff afterwards, but it was pretty much impossible to follow.)

Preacher: All In The Family (I'm seconding Tony's vote for this as the highlight of the run.)

Slaine: The Horned God (This was actually quite a thin story, but it was stunning at the time.)

Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth (Anybody who needs an explanation for this one is beyond help. There's another couple of the epics that are almost as good, but this is still the best of the lot.)

Nemesis the Warlock: The Final Battle (A much better wrapping up than anybody was expecting after some of the shit Mills had spent the previous ten years knocking out.)

Tomb Of Dracula (The whole bloody thing.)

And does the whole of Frank Miller's first run of scripting Daredevil count as one story? Because I'm having that one as well if it does...

As recently as a few months ago I would've instantly said "The Dark Phoenix Saga" from Uncanny X-Men.

I still believe it to be an important moment in (superhero) comics, but when I re-read it 2 months ago I found that it didn't hold up very well (for me anyway)-- seemed awfully dated and soap opera-y.

[Which reminds me: before I disappeared for a spell, Mark and I exchanged posts concerning the X-Men and their soap-opera-for-tweeners nature. I foolishly "defended" the books as decidedly not soap opera-y post-Giant Size, pre-Claremont getting stale. Having re-read a lot of the old stuff, as well as some of the recent stuff (ugh) I freely admit my wrongheadedness (to paraphrase Mark).]

ANYway, just about any story arc from Milligan/Allred's X-Foce/X-Statix run will suffice.

More and more I'm beginning to think this series is one of the best superhero books of all time, subjectively speaking.

before I disappeared for a spell, Mark and I exchanged posts concerning the X-Men and their soap-opera-for-tweeners nature. I foolishly "defended" the books as decidedly not soap opera-y post-Giant Size, pre-Claremont getting stale. Having re-read a lot of the old stuff, as well as some of the recent stuff (ugh) I freely admit my wrongheadedness (to paraphrase Mark).

medium_50764831.InYourFace.jpg

:laugh:

A few more:

The Sandman: Brief Lives (the best Sandman multiparter by a mile, a couple of episodes are almost as good as Calliope or Facade)

Judge Dredd: America (I was forgetting this one was serialised in the megazine before it was collected...)

All of Outlaw Nation (even where it was starting to lose steam due to looming cancellation for the last few issues)

Agreed with Dogpoet on "Brief Lives". Easily the best thing about that series. I'd also like to add on "Inferno" from Lucifer (although the strength of that series was always in its one-shots and shorter arcs (see "Triptych", "The Winnowing", "The Yahweh Dance", etc.), and "Entropy in the U.K." from The Invisibles, which I think was about five issues or so. Loved that storyline (particularly for introducing Mr. Six, and, if you count the epilogue, Division X as well).

It's hard to pick out just one Invisibles storyline, particularly from book one. Apocalypstick and Arcadia are pretty wonderful as well.

Now I think about this one more, how many issues was Howard The Duck's bid for the Presidency?