Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Read 'Criminal' already

Your (insert deity/messiah/savior/creator) would want you to read it.

Your (favorite celebrity/sports star/entertainer) reads it, so why don't you?

Criminal should be required reading in universities the world over.

If you don't read Criminal, Al Qaeda wins!

:tongue:

That's it, that's all I wanted to say.

I had something a bit more helpful in mind... but it's still nice to know I'm one of your influences. biggrin.gif

Three trades thus far. Coward, Lawless and The Dead and the Dying. With a forth on the way titled Bad Night.

Jason and Shawn, were you aare that there was also a short story in Liberty Comics #1 featuring Tracy Lawless?

Jason and Shawn, were you aare that there was also a short story in Liberty Comics #1 featuring Tracy Lawless?

I'm neither Jason nor Shawn, but I do love Criminal, and I didn't know that. I'll have to seek it out somehow.

I'm neither Jason nor Shawn, but I do love Criminal, and I didn't know that. I'll have to seek it out somehow.

I AM either Jason or Shawn. I didn't know it either and will seek it as well.

This Criminal book is starting to become an obession with me. I can't get enough.

I just need to pick up "Lawless" and my collection will be complete!! BWAHAHAHA!

I am also either Jason or Shawn, and I don't think your collection will be complete until you buy a piece of Sean Phillips' original art:

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9

:tongue:

But I do!

That great contained sequence from #1, inwhich whats-his-face makes the two cops at the art gallery and flees.

Sean had lettered it too, so the page was ace.

I'm not Jason or Shawn but I am Mark's party shirt.

Just read brubaker/Phillips Incognito #1 and it was really good. I'll be ordering the Criminal trades through my lcs.

Just read brubaker/Phillips Incognito #1 and it was really good. I'll be ordering the Criminal trades through my lcs.

Quite liked it, but it didn't strike me as Sleeper or Criminal quality.

Quite liked it, but it didn't strike me as Sleeper or Criminal quality.

I will say it's hard to tell after just one issue. However, I would not be surprised if it reaches that level. Will it be as good as Criminal? No way. > or = to Sleeper. Certainly possible.

Which reminds me that I need to re-read Sleeper sometime.

Just got the Coward trade through the door. Hope it lives up to its hype.

If you don't find it to be one of the most amazing comics you've read recently, you're dead to me! You're out of the will! :smile:

Just got the Coward trade through the door. Hope it lives up to its hype.

If you don't find it to be one of the most amazing comics you've read recently, you're dead to me! You're out of the will! :smile:

Colour me dead.

It's well executed but it's just run-of-the-mill gangster/crime-fiction. The kind of story that's been repeated a hundred times in film media. Rotten cop insider strikes deal with experienced con. Bad cop dupes him but the con comes good. Along the way con loses people that mean something to him.

Most interesting character was Jenny from Internal Affairs.

Most interesting potential development is the way Leo hints at being something entirely darker than he seems.

If you had held me up the first copy of Incognito and the first copy of Criminal and said - you can only choose one to follow. I'd have gone for Incognito, no doubt. It promises something a little different. I'm interested in how the setting will pan out - nice coincide with the pulp-driven universes of the Noir series too.

I'll still be reading the next 3 trades because someone got them me for Chtistmas and they've finally started to drift in the door.

(pssst....I love Criminal dearly, but don't think anything you just said was unfair, and find some of the hyperbole flung around it slightly unconvincing).

It does get better as you read the subsequent volumes, though - the individual stories are still essentially by-the-numbers noir, albeit very well-executed (I love noir as a genre, and enjoy Brubaker and Phillips' work enormously, so I'm a pretty easy sell), but the way Brubaker begins to build up a more complicated world, drawing links both subtle and obvious between the separate stories over several generations, is rather effective, and bodes well for where the series may be heading.

I still haven't read Incognito, because my local shop didn't get enough copies, but I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, if you like the idea of blending noir cliches with more traditional 'comic-book' fare in a slightly twisted, written-for-grownups way, you might enjoy Brubaker/Phillips' first collaboration, Sleeper. For my money, it's still the best thing they've done - the set-up is similar to that of the film The Departed/Infernal Affairs, with a deep-cover covert agent working inside a super-powered terrorist organization, and torturing himself as the lines defining who he really is are ever-increasingly blurred by the acts he has to commit to maintain his cover. The story really kicks off when his contact within the intelligence-gathering agency he works for, the only person who knows who he really is, is put into a coma. It's a wonderful, knowing blend of noir/superhero cliches and interesting, original twists on the material, and judging by your comments above, I suspect you'd enjoy it enormously.

Just got all 4 trades myself. And while I like it quite a bit I don't disagree with arrazello's take on it. Lawless is turning out to be much more interesting than Coward. I like that while the stores themselevs are mostly contained, there are elements from the previous story that pop in and add a little extra flavor. Nicely done all around and i think I'll be checking out Sleeper.

if you like the idea of blending noir cliches with more traditional 'comic-book' fare in a slightly twisted, written-for-grownups way, you might enjoy Brubaker/Phillips' first collaboration, Sleeper.

...a deep-cover covert agent working inside a super-powered terrorist organization, and torturing himself as the lines defining who he really is are ever-increasingly blurred by the acts he has to commit to maintain his cover.

That does sound a little more up my street.

I'm very much more interested in characterisation - insight and development - than I am in action or [shock tactics] - reason I just dropped Hellblazer.

If a new writer hadn't just started with a first issue which is a pretty big change from what we've seen in the last few years, I'd have dropped Hellblazer by now too.

Sleeper is one of my favourite comics, and it's only four trades in total - you should totally check it out. And Lou, I'm absolutely certain, will love it to pieces.

$old on Sleeper, will have the lcs hook 'em up.

Half way through The Dead and the Dying and this series really does get better with each trade.

Sleeper is one of my favourite comics, and it's only four trades in total - you should totally check it out. And Lou, I'm absolutely certain, will love it to pieces.

And love it to pieces I do. I'm 10 issues into the 1st trade and I'm floored. How could I have missed this the first time around? Truly the best comic book I have read in a long time.

According to issue 5 of Incognito, the next issue of Criminal will be published in September.