Sign in to follow this  
metanoia

Fables on TV

Apparently ABC are developing a pilot of Fables. I don't think that would work too well. Probably end up looking a bit like 10th Kingdom.

Apparently ABC are developing a pilot of Fables. I don't think that would work too well. Probably end up looking a bit like 10th Kingdom.

A NETWORK station??? That is an absolutely disastrous idea. They'll have to drain it of practically all the violence and sexuality and 'controversial' content. Hopefully, it won't come to pass.

abc kills everything it touches. bad idea.

Especially because Disney owns them. I can't see them doing anything contraversial with Snow White.

Unless I'm mistaken, ABS tried to do this in 2006, and the idea was scraped.

Or are they giving it another try?

In any event, I find Fables bland, pompous and uninvolving. I don't care one way or the other.

abc kills everything it touches. bad idea.

Especially because Disney owns them. I can't see them doing anything contraversial with Snow White.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything particularly controversial that Willingham's done with Snow White, either. In fact, apart from a bit of not-too-essential violence and some completely inessential strong language, I can't think of much in Fables which would really have to be toned down unacceptably for a TV adaptation, even at ABC - even the sex has, by and large, been offscreen and within the boundaries of a PG rating.

I don't think there's much chance of it making a particularly good series, but that's for a whole other set of reasons, including what Kate said (and, of course, my own innate and somewhat reactionary lack of interest in most adaptations).

And the good news keeps coming

Bill Willingham told CBR News that he knew DC Comics had signed a deal, but he was unaware of any specifics and to date, and is in no way involved with the televised “Fables” project.

Stu Zicherman and Raven Metzner, the duo who penned the Jennifer Garner-starring “Elektra” and have been tapped to write a screenplay for “Deathlok,” are scripting the “Fables” pilot

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19091

Yep. First they tease me with the good* news that Willingham's not going to have anything to do with it, then they brutally crush my hopes.

*Subjectively!

This reminds me alot of that Starman pilot that was solicted but never produced. I doubt this will ever get past the casting stage.

I think a LOT of programmes are not going to get made. There are going to be a lot more redundencies in every field before we are done with this economic downer.

7000 jobs going in the Logging industry here in just one burst.

It won't get made and even if does it won't last... Fables jumped the shark when it revealed the adversary since than its been well boring

So, I just made the connection that Once Upon a Time = Fables. Is this correct? Or did ABC basically steal the concept and rework it? Is OUAT any good? I haven't seen it.

I noted that one episode is called "Snow Falls".

I've not seen it myself, but it seems more inspired rather than ripped off. The concept of crossover combined with a modern setting didn't exactly begin with Fables. Bill Willingham, in what I thought was a class move, said as much.

fair enough. i knew nothing about it so i thought i'd query the experts.

I've watched the first seven episodes, there is obviously a lot of simalarities with Fables, although most of the 'fables' in OUAT don't remember who they are/were. The flashbacks to the 'homelands' are very well done, nice effects and slightly dark and brooding. Can't see it lasting that long though as I think it's not been targeted at a specific audience very well, too kiddy for adults and not kiddy enough for kids.