Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Filling up Graves - 100 Bullets

ok, bear with me, i have to do this to understand what's going on and who's left and what their alliances and motivations are...

javier vasco was the victim of last issue's assassination attempt. that leaves 4 houses left in the trust.

surviving houses of the trust

house of medici
: headed by
augustus medici
, leader of the trust.

house of d'arcy
joan d'arcy

house of vermeer
tibo vermeer

house of dietrich
megan dietrich

after having survived her bout with

lono, dizzy communicated with victor, who told her to stay out of the way. lono--who also survived but he's fucked up after benito shot him in the face and he had to escape the medici compound through razor wire and pit bulls--appears in the last frame of #98, but i couldn't tell who was behind him. slaughter? victor?

loop and cole hooked up with jack--jack was fucking echo memoria as cole entered the hotel room, he shot her (to avenge her murder of branch, who became cole's sort of friend) as she and jack were getting to that point everyone loves to get to naked. after a phone call to loop, victor is on the way, either to kill them or join them. cole thinks to kill them. and the last page shows someone coming into the hotel room with guns drawn.

will slaughter moves through someone's house at the end of the issue and kills everyone, but i don't recognize any of the victims. is he at medici's house? it looks like slaughter and victor have teamed up,

but it's vague.

the surviving minutemen:

philip graves
: leader of the minutemen. is he allied with medici and turned on the minutemen? is he playing medici? is he pitting some minutemen against the others?

cole burns
: currently allied with loop and jack; suspects that the trust used the minutemen to steal 'the country', suspects graves was in on it.

lono
current "warlord of the trust": got fucked up by fighting dizzy, shot in the face by benito, and had to fight pit bulls and traverse razor wire to escape the medici compound. wound up in a hotel and called loop to say "shunny days" (lisp due to the mouth injury) as someone is about to enter the hotel room in which loop, jack and cole are making plans. was allied with medici as warlord, but after benito shot him, who knows?

victor ray
: has either gone renegade (he probably killed javier vasco, or slaughter did), or hooked up with will slaughter and a separate agenda--perhaps under graves' orders?

jack daw
: hooked up with cole and loop just prior to someone entering his hotel room with guns out.

minutemen in training:

loop hughes
: allied with cole and jack, about to be shot at by an unknown assailant, suspected to be victor or slaughter.

dizzy cordova
: healing from her fight with lono at the medici compound. benito likes him some dizzy and saved her life by shooting lono in the mouth.

retired (recently activated?) minutemen:

will slaughter
: an assassin who probably hooked up with victor to kill javier vasco, but whose orders does he follow?

the deceased minutemen:

milo garret

wylie times

remi rome

joseph shepherd
former "warlord of the trust"

augustus medici, benito medici, megan dietrich, tibo vermeer, and joan d'arcy are planning a meeting later that evening. graves and augustus parlay in a limo supposing who had javier killed. slaughter or victor carried out the assassination, but under whose orders? their own? graves'? medici's?

I think Slaughter arrived at the house and found out that Lono had killed everyone. The woman on the stairs looks like Slaughter's wife, though they were last seen living in.... Brooklyn, was it? I can't explain the maid, though.

Next leap; Lono is the replacement that Will Slaughter raised.

I'm pretty sure Slaughter works for the second generation of the trust. He was brought back into the fold by Joan D'Arcy, after all.

What I understood is that Victor Ray is back working for the trust along with Graves, and as such he has to take care of anyone who can be a problem, which at the moment are Jack, Cole and Loop.

oh, i see you handled my biznezz for me. where i come from, when someone handles up on your biznezz like that, they better fuck you or fillet you...

just kidding, sometimes i like to act tough. you should have heard me SAY those words. i was equal parts clint eastwood, and cole burns.

having reread the last 2 issues (97, 98), i have more of a handle as to what's going on:

1.) augustus and megan have been allies since early on. together, they had javier killed but are making it look like megan, d'arcy and tibo ordered the hit to fuck with augustus and graves, and that augustus ordered it to fuck with tibo and d'arcy. victor pulled the trigger. so graves thinks it was megan, d'arcy and tibo

had javier killed to send a message to graves and augustus. d'arcy and tibo think augustus had javier killed to send a message to them and megan. only megan and augustus know how things are shaking out from their end. benito has his hand in the meddlings on, though to what extent, it isn't clear. i fully expect benito to emerge on top of the trust, after augustus is killed either directly or indirectly by his hand, or word (meaning dizzy will take out augustus).

2.) that was slaughter and he was walking through medici's property where all the dead people were. that maid is the medici maid. slaughter was following victor's trail of blood. he walks past the wall where lono jumped over after being chased by the dogs. a piece of his shirt was still there. since there is a father-offspring connection with slaughter and one of the current m-men, i'm thinking either victor or dizzy is slaughter's kid. or benito is slaughter's kid.

3.) loop mistakenly told victor where he, cole and jack were. that's victor coming through the door with guns a drawn on the last page while lono is on the phone and slaughter is in the background.

Does anyone have an idea on what Loop exactly did in the hotel room?

It looks like he barely shot Cole in the head, question is; what good did that do?

thought jack was on the crapper. did anyone see the trust's 'agreement' coming? i mean not thyat a deal was made, but the actual deal itself?

Nah, it was Loop. Vic, Jack and Cole each give him props when they dump Echo's body.

Speaking of which, I'm dissapointed the painting turned out to be nothing more than a MacGuffin.

I am still hoping that the painting and Echo (and hopefully Daddy Dietrich if I'm to win my money back) will come back to bite someone in the ass - if any for one panel and ultimately in a small way.

But Loop shot (at) Cole to distract Vic who had everyone else trapped in a stand-off. Loop shooting Cole (and knowing/hoping Cole would dodge...just) was what broke the stand-off. Loop didn't want any of them to die. Lono did want them dead (why he was egging them on over phone)

...and I still don't know where Jack stands. He's been the strong silent wildcard for sometime now!

PS - can't remember if I ever mentioned that I think the Painting is painted onto the canvas/treaty thingy signed by all those forming the original Trust. I think that's why everyone wanted it but not everyone knew it. If Im right in thinking, I doubt Graves'll be happy it's at the bottom of the swamp now.

Have Cole et al actually just done something rather significant rather than it just being a Maguffin. Have they actually just destroyed the trust without realising it?

the Painting is painted onto the canvas/treaty thingy signed by all those forming the original Trust. I think that's why everyone wanted it but not everyone knew it.

very good. i think that's something to consider.

Over the past three or so years this title has just gotten better and better.yet another in a frighteningly long list of books that I am sad to see go.I couldn't even guess where this is going for the last chapter.I will however be pissed if Azzarello offs Loop.

That's it? I paid an extra dollar for

an everybody dies, gun to the head fade to black with a preview for another comic at the end of it?

What a letdown. And from a series full of ripe, juicy death scenes, these last kills were, dare I say mundane? It was the most convenient ending I've read since Y:TLM's finale (also sucked). I just can't believe we spent 100 issues--2200+/- pages getting to know these people only to have them offed so unceremoniously, and some whose fates we don't know: Jack and Crete fell into the alligator pit. The gator had something in its mouth. Did they both get eaten? Not High Jack, come on! And Victor Ray is Will Slaughter's son? Why? How did that even mean anything to the story as it ended?

It started off interestingly enough: Benito Medici (my pick to be the last man standing--of the trust, anyway) has been strangled and left to drown in the pool. He is victim #1. Then Crete and Jack throw down and wind up in the alligator pit. Victims #2 & 3. Well, all of Augustus Medici's men are killed by Will, Loop, and Victor Ray (victims #X). Then Tibo Vermeer with knife through chest (#4+X) and Joan D'arcy with a bullet to the head and her tits hanging out (#5+X). Lono shot by Agent Dizzy Cordova in the chest and tumbles out the window (#6+X). This leaves Medici, Sr., Graves, Dizzy, Loop, Victor Ray, Will Slaughter, Cole Burns and Megan Deitrich--Cole had killed D'Arcy and Vermeer, emptied out a couple of gasoline cans on to the floor and held Megan there at bay with a zippo precluding what would be the only memorable deaths in the story: a distant gunshot startles Cole and he drops his zippo, bringing on the demises of himself and Megan (#7 & 8 +X). Loop, Victor and Will pack it in--they're done after wasting all of Medici's men. They are retiring or some shit. But, with 3 victims waiting for their respective murders, it finally ends with Graves shooting Augustus. The explosion caused by Cole's zippo blew the fuck out of Dizzy, and as she is dying in Graves' arms, she puts the gun up to his head and...fade to black.

Yawn.

Bah, mine didn't arrive. There's a chance it could be there tomorrow though...but it really is typical.

Hopefully I'll like it more than Slinker did (I did like the end of The Sopranos after all!)

Finally got my hands on it.

Apart from the actual facts in your review, I disagree hole-in-my-heartedly. Before I read the final issue though, I also re-read the whole of the last story arc from beginning to issue 100...maybe that altered things?

Look forward to swapping thoughts (amid entire posts made of spoiler tags :tongue: )

On the whole though I give the ending issue 7.5/10 but the whole final story arc (which I think will be the bumper final graphic novel) a lovely 9/10

I'm agreeing with slinker here but perhaps a re-read of the final couple of chapters will change my mind. It's happened before.

And after all that you mean to tell me

that one bullet in the chest would kill Lono?

Not so sure about that.

Lou:

I don't think Lono's dead. Look at the big shot of everyone toward the end (on the page opposite the house exploding). Panel below Slaughter et al looking at the explosion, there's a trail of blood leading away from the smashed window.

If that's not meant to be a nice ambiguous 'is Lono dead' clue, I don't know what is!

I'll do some proper thoughts over the weekend, but one of my actual complaints is that any of the characters I actually identified in any with all died out long long ago!

Dizzy's Whale Tail made me BOLSOK.

Definately the lowest point in an above average arc (by 100 standards) with some very memorable moments. I second the 'Y' comment

Dissapointed about Lono's "death". I wanted something akin to Barracuda's death in the Punisher

I'm sort of with slinker here. It felt like a very rushed ending.

Cole incinerates himself and Megan becuase a gunshot startles him? Give me a break. This guy has nerves of steel. Remember his first appearance, where he catches a fastball being thrown directly at his head without looking up? Not to mention the fact that he's been around gunfire pretty much his entire life. It was so ridiculous that it drew me right out.

It seemed a very ignominious end for Lono, even if he is still alive. Having him show up, do absolutely nothing at all, and then fall out a window was pretty lame.

This is not to mention all the things that never paid off: such as the painting, who was behind Milo's scarring, why exactly Axel Nagel had to commit suicide, etc. etc.

Overall, though I was quite disappointed with this final issue, I'm still glad I read this series and it is without a doubt one of my all-time favourite comic experiences.

I'm sort of with slinker here. It felt like a very rushed ending.

Cole incinerates himself and Megan becuase a gunshot startles him? Give me a break. This guy has nerves of steel. Remember his first appearance, where he catches a fastball being thrown directly at his head without looking up? Not to mention the fact that he's been around gunfire pretty much his entire life. It was so ridiculous that it drew me right out.

This. Yeah, this bugged me too.

Yeah, the Cole and Lono demises really bothered me too. I saw the blood steps the second time I read it, so cool if Lono's not dead. But after reading it again, it was only marginally better and that was due to Lono perhaps surviving. Otherwise, meh...

I'm pretty sure Cole decides not to catch the lighter on purpose. If you look at the panels where he's reaching for it, in the second one he practically has it but in the third one he looks like he's deliberately let it go.

I suppose I can't really argue with gunfire surprising him to begin with though. The fact he had taken off his shoes kinda suggested to me he wasn't planning on leaving anyway though. The increasing unpleasantness of Cole from nice ice-cream man to sadistic killer was interesting though - like Branch's death got rid of his last bit of decency - especially in comparison to Victor who starts off as ice cold professional and then seems to have his own story bubbling away under his frigid exterior.

I'm not going to try and counter every complaint though! All in all, I realise that any character I actually liked died off ages ago!

(and I am still a bit gutted that Echo and the Painting went nowhere - I had soooooo many thoughts as to who hired her, what the painting was, why they wanted it and how it would tie into the main plot!)

I found it odd how Lono died. Because in one of his other appearances. He was pretty much gun downed by an entire police force and yet managed to survive that.

Now that I think about it. It did look like Cole pretty much decided to not catch the lighter at the last min.

Still for an ending, it really left a lot of questions unanswered.