Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Filling up Graves - 100 Bullets

I'm still not entirely sold on

Cole letting the lighter go deliberately to commit suicide. During some of the earlier issues of this arc, Cole becomes increasingly disillusioned with Graves and wants to know the reason behind the Atlantic City deal, and everything that led up to it. It seemed as though Cole wanted to head to the Medici place not so much to kill off the remaining heads of the Trust, but to take down Lono and then discover Graves's true motivations. Yet, once he gets to the mansion, he immediately wipes out the rest of the Trust and then takes himself out (potentially). I don't really think this follows either.

Having read the final issue a few more times, there are some things I like about it.

I don't think Jack's death could have gone any other way, and it was appropriate end to a character I didn't care at all about at first, but had grown to sympathize with a little bit.

Likewise, I think Benito's death was a perfect bit of legerdemain that got me into this book so much.

, but stuff like the above just feels very incomplete to me.

I found it odd how Lono died. Because in one of his other appearances. He was pretty much gun downed by an entire police force and yet managed to survive that.

Yeah but as was pointed out to me in a few posts back

Lono's probably not dead.

I found it odd how Lono died. Because in one of his other appearances. He was pretty much gun downed by an entire police force and yet managed to survive that.

And that is kind of a shame because I loved the character,but he had a cold hard death coming to him.In a sea of hazy/questionable morals,he(entertaining as he was)was simply devoid of any type of compass,other than one that pointed him to self preservation.

I liked this issue alot,fucking loved it until the last page.Venkman mentioned the last episode of the Sopranos,and this ends in a very similar style.It doesn't end as much as run out of pages,then we all debate what"really"happened.

Another thing I love is that Azzarello & Risso can put out an OGN in a few years,and pick up a few of the remaining pieces.

Hands down though,my favorite part was the few words between Jack and Crete.The respect that those few simple words of dialogue conveyed were amazing.My hat is in hand,out of respect for this series and a fine,imperfect and brutal ending.

And that is kind of a shame because I loved the character,but he had a cold hard death coming to him.In a sea of hazy/questionable morals,he(entertaining as he was)was simply devoid of any type of compass,other than one that pointed him to self preservation.

I liked this issue alot,fucking loved it until the last page.Venkman mentioned the last episode of the Sopranos,and this ends in a very similar style.It doesn't end as much as run out of pages,then we all debate what"really"happened.

Another thing I love is that Azzarello & Risso can put out an OGN in a few years,and pick up a few of the remaining pieces.

Hands down though,my favorite part was the few words between Jack and Crete.The respect that those few simple words of dialogue conveyed were amazing.My hat is in hand,out of respect for this series and a fine,imperfect and brutal ending.

Dissapointed about Lono's "death" too. I wanted something akin to Barracuda's death in the Punisher.

And did I strike anyone that Dizzy shooting him was mostly in aid of giving Dizzy her first kill in theentire series(baring Shepard, that is)?

No,I honestly did not notice that.It's perfectly appropriate though,the rest of that characters life is going to change in very scary ways and that was the proverbial baptism of fire.

If they do get around to an OGN in a few years,that character will be on page one.I'd put money on it.

p.s.Bring on the hardcovers already DC!

Anyone who's miffed about Lono probably not being dead is right - but what kind of death, without devouting the entire issue to it, would have been spectacular enough to satisfy what Lono had coming to him.

Someone mentioned Barracuda's death but those comics are very black and white in people getting what they deserve. Surely 100 Bullets is different and one of the main factors was that things aren't fair and characters didn't always get what they deserved - good or bad.

I think there are plenty of things to dislike about the finale - the main one being for me that the Dizzy Graves central spine of the series was actually the least interesting part of 100 Bullets in my case. But I think the ancillary characters all got the good endings.

So, I reread the last 3 trades, 10-13, to try and work out the things I was dissatisfied with in my earlier posts on this thread (I was quite the detective, I don't mind saying :icon_wink: )

[ Spoiler : But the fate of Cole and the resignation of Graves-after everything these fuckers went through-still go against the grain. But after studying some other noir works, there is an aspect of the entire genre which I can't stand but which fits perfectly with how 100 Bullets ends. In many noir works (which I can recall but cannot cite due to the fact that I'm stoned right this second and the works to which I refer are quite fuzzy, but are by the likes of Chandler, Cain, Leonard, Gay, etc), the main character, or one of them will typically do something totally opposite to the motivation and/or basic composition of that character, i.e. Cole Burns being startled by a gunshot (a sound that is probably pleasing to him in some ways) and clumsily dropping the lighter causing his own death as well as Megan Dietrich's. Graves' response in the last frame fits his sense of duty, which still is a cop out. It's my opinion that if you make Cole act in his usual fashion, but put the antithetical character response on Graves instead, you wind up with a much more satisfying and dark ending. Cole, admittedly, was my favorite character in the tale. Wiley was cool, but he was fated to die as soon as we got his back story with Rose. This time around, I found Remi to be much more attractive in an almost paradoxical way-he kills Wiley (was he programmed to? or did he really think Wiley drew on Cole?) and in addition, is the coldest blooded Minuteman after Lono, which is something I didn't catch the first time round. I was looking to be more into Dizzy's character this time around, but she is the worst written character in the whole series. There is so much there to work with that Azzarello either fucked off or, if Azz DID use it, it got edited out by a heavy handed editor. ]

The reason this was one of the most disappointing finales I've ever read (along with Y,tLM and DMZ) is because the build up was so epic, you just knew the conclusion couldn't miss, that the payoff would be even more epic-it couldn't help but be. and it looked to reach something close and then failed under the weight of bloody cliche and wrongly assigned motivational responses in the climax. [ Spoiler : Cole Burns ]deserved more.

But I did enjoy reading it again up to the end of issue 100 when things went south on the reader. Til then, it was one of the best noir tales I'd read.

I've not read 100 Bullets, aside from the first story. This is a tragic shame, I know. I wonder, would I be able to come into this without having read 100 Bullets?

HAHA. Maybe I should try to read 100 Bullets sometime. Lou K, attorney at law. He'll Battle for YOU! How much am I paying you?