Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Spidey Noir

I don't think X-Men: Noir can carry an ongoing series, and I'm not sure I'd want to see one.

But, I will say that, right now, I am excited by the very thought of reading the next issue of X-Men: Noir. It's extremely rare these days for me to get excited about reading any comic books, from month to month.

It's a concept that Morrison toyed around briefly with the Joker, but I find the ideas incredibly imaginative, and it captures my mind.

Well, Alan Moore's Light of Thy Coutenance graphic novella makes me all tingly, but that's because it's Alan Moore and magick, and I haven't actually read the book yet, so I'll say that's a different type of excitement.

A bit of a spoiler as to how Pete will get his powers...

I seem to recall Peter will find a magical artifact that will give him his powers

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. That would be wrong.

It should be connected with the development of the atomic bomb. Ben has to go meet with some scientists on a newspaper mission - a spider crawls out of one of their suitcases while they're all getting high, like reporters and scientists often do. The spider sneaks into Urich's pocket - it's warm, he's got mints.

Later, in a meeting with Petey, Ben (hung over and guilt-ridden) does the whole REVEAL thing.

Pete gets Ben his coat and kicks him out the door.

Spider transfers to Pete, spider bites his sweet little ass.

Thus Ben leaves Pete mightily pissed off but gifts him the power of Spiders by way of apology.

Alternatively, the spider could bite Aunt May.

Wrong time frame.

That's part of the original mythology, taking place in (real time) 1962, within the "atomic age".

The Noir books occur in the 1930s.

I do just find it wrong.

I like X-Men: Noir, because no one has any super powers.

Wrong time frame.

That's part of the original mythology, taking place in (real time) 1962, within the "atomic age".

The Noir books occur in the 1930s.

Ah, but 1939 was the start of atomic development and I believe we can stretch the time-frame and suspend belief in the comic book genre ;)

Yeah, I agree - the non-power thing is great and Spidey can do the whole non-organic web thing since he's a scientific sort.

But.

On the other hand, super-powers are cool.

In what is a crime story, a magic spider seems too arbitrary. I don't think that it.

Could be another o'them red herrings.

Is it wrong that I now want Fantastic Four noir?

In what is a crime story, a magic spider seems too arbitrary. I don't think that it.

Could be another o'them red herrings.

Is it wrong that I now want Fantastic Four noir?

Yeah, you're right. Ok, so Spidey does some extra-special drugs and just believes he has the power of a spider?

If it's not magic or radioactive - it has to be drugs. Drugs are very criminal ;)

Fantastic Four Noir?

I don't like the Fantastic Four - but noir - I could get to like them.

Man, why is this only 4 freakin' issues?! I loved this. Issue #2 that is.

Peter's eyes are opening up more as he's getting more entwined to this dark and gritty underworld while Urich is getting at least a bit of hope due to Peter's hope to things getting better. Things go to hell, though, when Peter finds Urich high on heroine. This sets up the plot of having Peter get bitten by the spider that eventually gives him powers. This time it's a spider bite from a spider that appears out of a magic African mask. And that two page spread of Peter and that mystical spider was just damn freaky and horrifying. This is a definitely a page that every one will have to see. The artist was fit to draw this one specific and haunting scene. Pete, with his new found powers also gets a new found hope to go after Osborn. This is when Pete discovers his mentor isn't what he claims to be when he noticed Urich on the scene. He walks away from Urich while Urich decides he's done with Osborn. I won't even mention the cliffhanger because that's just... wow! And Pete finally puts on his Spidey suit. Oh boy, now the full on ride begins!

I liked it, still looking forward to X-Men more.

I won't even mention the cliffhanger because that's just... wow!

I wonder if that's Chameleon

In #1 when Ben and Peter are in the speakeasy there is a girl sitting in the mayor's lap, it looks a lot like rogue. She has the strand of white hair and it fits with X-Men noir.

I really can't imagine what Daredevil nir could turn out to be. The book is pretty much as noir as you can get, and aside from setting it in the thirties and making Murdock and Nelson private detectives, I don't see anything new being brought to the table. Same goes for The Punisher.

I liked it, still looking forward to X-Men more.

I won't even mention the cliffhanger because that's just... wow!

I wonder if that's Chameleon

Whoa, I didn't even think about that. That is an interesting idea.

In #1 when Ben and Peter are in the speakeasy there is a girl sitting in the mayor's lap, could it be rogue?

I really can't imagine what Daredevil nir could turn out to be. The book is pretty much as noir as you can get, and aside from setting it in the thirties and making Murdock and Nelson private detectives, I don't see anything new being brought to the table. Same goes for The Punisher.

I dunno, I've been seeing a lot of people saying they can't see how they're going to do this DD or Punisher and in my opinion I can definitely see it working, it's all just in the interpretation and execution. Sure, we may already have a Noir DD, but do we have one in that time setting? Who knows how different the character(s) and how different the writer may write it, etc.

I see the point about at least making these series longer, or I do with X-Men: Noir now anyway.

Van Lente is packing a lot of plots into the book, and while they're probably all going to come together at the end, he's seemed to want to focus on Magnus with the book.

Prof. X and the X Men are rarely seen, and I'd like to see more of the Rogue character.

There's too much packed into each issue, it could do with being more than just a mini-series, I think.

I see the point about at least making these series longer, or I do with X-Men: Noir now anyway.

Van Lente is packing a lot of plots into the book, and while they're probably all going to come together at the end, he's seemed to want to focus on Magnus with the book.

Prof. X and the X Men are rarely seen, and I'd like to see more of the Rogue character.

There's too much packed into each issue, it could do with being more than just a mini-series, I think.

Agreed. Though I'm dissapointed with Logan's role.

I also don't care for the lead character. Not one bit.

I frankly don't want to read a comic book with both the Russian AND Barracuda.

The solicits to Daredevil and Wolverine don't sound too hot either.

Spider-Man is still going strong, though. I might be tempted to check more of this Hine character's work.

Spider-Man is still going strong, though. I might be tempted to check more of this Hine character's work.

The artwork on Daredevil Noir does looks stunning though.

What has he written? What's so bad? Tell me!

I only read WWH: Gama Corps, which he wrote and was one of the worst books I read last year.

I only read WWH: Gama Corps, which he wrote and was one of the worst books I read last year.

And countless Wolverine/Weapon X cack I believe.

Strange Embrace is where it's at, good sir! icon10.gif

I just remembered he wrote Batman Underground. Only read the first issue due to seeing if Two-Face had a good role and didn't pick up the rest.

Agreed. Though I'm dissapointed with Logan's role.

I also don't care for the lead character. Not one bit.

I'll say there's too much packed into each issue. I ended up confused and making the decision to read them all over again in one sitting when I get #4. I might be able to follow that way. The story pace is all scrunched up with too little cohesion.

Logan is kinda disappointing -

just knuckle dusting spikey nails

. Takes the whole thug image too far or makes it too mundane.

The main character - I'm struggling to remember. Although I do think i was more impressed with him in Part #1