Balthazar

Spidey Noir

ddnoir002_cov_var.jpgddnoir002_cov_cov.jpg

DAREDEVIL NOIR #2 (of 4)

Written by ALEXANDER IRVINE

Pencils & Cover by TOM COKER

Variant Cover by DENNIS CALERO

“LIAR’S POKER,” PART 2

The latest addition to Marvel’s red-hot Noir line offers a unique spin on the Man Without Fear! Prohibition-era Hell's Kitchen is no place to be a blind man, but it's tailor-made for a vigilante. On one side, you've got the Kingpin; on the other, Orville Halloran, fresh out of Sing Sing and ready for war. Daredevil has tangled with both of them before, and as temperatures rise in the Kitchen, a third player comes to the table: the Bull's-Eye Killer. Who does he work for -- Fisk or Halloran? Murdock needs to find out, and fast, for the sake of the mysterious Eliza. But there's more to her than meets the eye...

32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

WOLVNOIR002COV_col.jpgWOLVNOIR002_COV_VAR.jpg

WOLVERINE NOIR #2 (of 4)

Written by Stuart Moore

Pencils and Cover by C.P. Smith

New York City, 1937. Private detective Jim Logan’s partner, Dog, is missing…and Logan’s determined to find him, even if he has to spread a trail of blood and broken hearts across the Bowery. But chances of finding Dog alive aren’t looking good as all signs point to a dangerous gangster called Creed…who might just be too much for one down-and-out P.I. to handle.

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

What a great issue, things are getting darn spicy! Felicia Hardy helps Peter by giving him files that previously belonged to Ulrich and warns him not to go to the Bugle as they're not to be trusted. Angry at Ben's betrayal, he gets a talk from aunt May about how Ben did right by Pete after he refuses to go to Ben's funeral. After Pete changes his mind, his spider sense warns him against J Jonah after JJ asks Peter if Ben trusted Pete with some old files. Peter denies it and Jonah leaves. Peter realizes now that the Bugle aren't the good guys. In the files are all the spots that Osborn has seedy dealings with which Peter as Spider-Man goes to shut them down. Osborn wonders about Spider-Man and how he knows all these spots. Ox mentions to Osborn that he noticed Peter meeting up with Felicia.

Spider-Man starts making the news as he's being trashed by the Bugle as a thief who steals from both the poor and rich. He goes to confront Jonah only to find him shot up and dies while cops come rushing in, indicating to Spider-Man that this was all a setup. Peter escapes after getting shot in the arm and goes to do some research on Osborn's crew and finds out that Kraven has a half-brother named the Chameleon, a master of disguise. Peter goes to investigate further and finds Jonah's dead body and touches his face, only for it to get disfigured.

Meanwhile, the real Jonah is locked up by Osborn, Felicia is kidnapped and brought to Osborn, and Vulture attacks Aunt May.

Wonderful issue. Loved every minute of it. The story is getting more and more intense with great twists and turns each issue. I can't believe this is only a 4 issue mini.

Issue 4, dammit! Final issue!

But yeah, I enjoyed it, although I don't think as much as the previous 3 issues. The reveals were all good and I loved the scene with Vulture, May, and Spider-Man. Also loved the fights with Goblin's crew, but something just seemed really awkward. I somehow feel that the whole thing ended a bit too neatly, everything tied up perfectly with a bow. And something about the Goblin revelation seemed really weird to me. Maybe it's just me. But overall, it was a well written issue. This whole run was just damn fun reading. Amazing all around. And the reveal about Black Cat having killed the Chameleon cleared up a confusion I sorta had from last issue.

Art was great! Although I got a little confused with some of the action scenes here and there but they just required a good long look until it was established what was going on. I think the hectic-ness of the battles worked as I'm pretty sure it'd be as brutal and fast as it was being shown. And man, Pete goes all out, knocking out teeth, etc. I like this Peter. I like that you can have a light-hearted Pete in the 616 and a down and dirty Pete here. The scene where he killed Vulture for sure was damn intense and I loved being in his head while he tried to justify his actions to May both verbally and mentally. That was probably my favorite scene in the book, Kraven being knocked into the spiders being second. I also really loved how Giandomenico drew Pete's movements. I forgot what the technique is called, but when you see his outlines moving through the panels to indicate fast movements. Those are awesome. Also loved the panels with his spider-sense. He didn't need to acknowledge it was tingling. You just saw it and you got the drift that it was in use. Great stuff.

Fantastic run, can't wait for it to be released in trade and I can't wait to read it in one awesome sitting. And nice, a little open ended with possibly Octopus making an appearance for a sequel. I can also see Hine writing a very twisted Hydroman water boarding someone. Make it happen!

100% agreed.

This mini gave me more satisfaction than X-Men. Everything just clicked into place.

I loved the interesting reveal regarding Norman "The Goblin" Osborn.

He face is fake (possibly provided by Chameleon) hidding a goblin, almost lizard like, face. Reminds me of the TV mini-series V.

The touch on Doctor Octavius was great and would make for a wonderful follow up. I also ponder what Hine could do with Mysterio (Vaudville magician?), Jackal (tied to Egyption mythology?), Vemon (uses poisons to kill?) Rhino, Shocker, Sandman, etc, etc.

Is there ANY way the title to this thread to be changed to Marvel Noir?

But yeeeeaaaah, boy! Bring this on! icon10.gificon10.gificon10.gif

57_luke_cage_noir_1.jpg

LUKE CAGE NOIR #1 (of 4)

Written by MIKE BENSON & ADAM GLASS

Penciled by SHAWN MARTINBROUGH

Cover by TIM BRADSTREET

“MOON OVER HARLEM,” PART 1

A lot can change in ten years. And rarely for the better. Local legend, Luke Cage, invincible, unstoppable, unflappable, finds that out the hard way when he returns to the mean streets of Prohibition-era Harlem after a ten-year stretch in Riker’s Island. All he wants is to be back in the loving arms of his woman, but certain powerful men have different plans for Cage. Willis Stryker, Cage’s childhood friend turned Godfather of Harlem, wants him on his crew, and under his thumb. And wealthy white socialite Randall Banticoff, whose wife is now very dead, murdered in a Harlem alley, wants Cage to investigate her death. Cage is about to learn that coming home is never easy, and to survive he might just have to kill a whole lot of people.

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Very pretty. All the art has been, so far.

X-Men turned out to be dissapointing, Spidey was nothing special, so is Daredevil, but this, along with Wolverine could be something special.

Very pretty. All the art has been, so far.

X-Men turned out to be dissapointing, Spidey was nothing special, so is Daredevil, but this, along with Wolverine could be something special.

I agree. The line has looked good on paper, but has been disappointing so far.

Luke Cage may be better.

56_luke_cage_noir_2.jpg

LUKE CAGE NOIR #2 (of 4)

Written by ADAM GLASS

Cover by TIM BRADSTREET

“MOON OVER HARLEM,” PART 2

Less than 48 hours out of the joint, and Luke Cage is a busy man, investigating the mysterious deaths of two women: the wife of a Park Avenue Mug with more than a few secrets, and Cage’s own true love, Josephine Ball. Are the two murders related? Only one thing’s for sure: All roads go through Cage’s old nemesis – the Albino gangster known as Tombstone.

I've got little-to-no interest in the comic itself, but that's a nice cover. Good to see Tim doing something a bit different with his style - there's a really cool design aesthetic at work there.

53_LUKE_CAGE_NOIR_3.jpg

LUKE CAGE NOIR #3 (of 4)

Written by MIKE BENSON & ADAM GLASS

Cover by TIM BRADSTREET

"MOON OVER HARLEM," PART 3

Luke Cage is finally reunited with his old lover Josephine Ball, but their reunion is bittersweet. Josephine has been horribly disfigured, her face cut up with a razor. She wants Luke to leave and forget about her, about them. But Cage can't forget, and he sure as hell can't forgive. Whoever did this is going to pay. Luke is finally starting to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, and when he does -- blood will run through the streets of Harlem. But Cage's enemies have one last ace up their sleeve. The question is, will it be enough to save them from a very angry "power man"?

They didn't, you know. Or at least, it had been discovered, but it wasn't fully-tested, or ready for mass-production, until the '40s. So, it looks like Mr Cage is shit out of luck.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

59_luke_cage_noir_4.jpg

LUKE CAGE NOIR #4 (of 4)

Written by MIKE BENSON

Cover by TIM BRADSTREET

Luke Cage has been set up. Now he’s going to settle the score. And Harlem will never be the same. So lock your doors and order up some extra body bags, because things are about to get real bloody. Luke finally learns the truth about Stryker, Tombstone, Officer Rachman, and the mysterious man that has been yanking his chain this whole time, from right under his nose. As the streets of Harlem run red, Power-Man reminds us why you always bet on BLACK.

Been reading the Punisher.

1920s Frank is bit of a dick, and apparently, he dies and his son Frank Jr (who is totally alive) becomes the Punisher.

After reading #2 I have a sneaking suspicion that the unseen female assassin is the Russian now that his balls were blown off.