Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Your comic reading ritual

I was wondering how everyone read their comics, whether they brought them home on wednesday (or whenever you get to the store) and read the stack straight thru, or rashioned them out a few at a time thru out the week.

Personally, by the time i get to the store after work and get home, it's time to help with dinner then eat, then i read the days newspaper to catch up on what is now a day old news and read the comics section (Have to keep up with whats going on with Luanne afterall). By then it's usually 8 pm, so i'll read a few comics while i watch TV. As a result it generally takes me several days to get done reading everything.

there was supposed to be a poll with this, but evidently i cannot figure out how to work it, so now there is not.

There's a dive bar around the corner from the lcs so sometimes if I have the time I'll grab a stack of new comics and head over there and read a few while I suck down a couple of large brews with a shot of Tullimore Dew.

And because my memory is so bad (I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Thanks weed) I often will let a few issues build up and read them in one fell swoop. If that's the case I'll grab a stack and sit on my couch or somethig and burn while reading at home.

And because my memory is so bad ..... I'll grab a stack and sit on my couch or something and burn while reading at home.

Is this an example of a "cause and effect" relationship?

Mostly I pick them up after work on Wednesdays then go home, get in my comfortable Lazy-Boy chair and read away. I try to space them out over the night. Or sometimes the next day. Having the comics in my apartment unread can not stand.

Since I work on Tuesdays at the comic shop I will usually pick up some issues, sometimes left over from previous weeks, to take home.

Last semester I picked up my comics after school and right before the store closed. I usually stayed to chat with my buddy who works there and until he closes shop then we hang out. When I get home I read them almost immediately or after eating. I tend to save my favorite or most anticipated reads for last as if it were my main event. Sometimes my LCS doesn't have my books so I would have to find some time over the weekend or whatever to pick them up in the city.

Certain titles I read on the bus home on Thursday eve. This journey is about right to enjoy 2 and a half decent comics.

I rarely start reading the graphic novels on that journey but I often have one in my pocket on the morning bus.

Some titles I read in a sitting on Saturday or Sunday morning.

Others sit in a pile until I have a long journey.

Currently in that pile we have most of Northlanders, half of Scalped, the last six months of DMZ and all the Hellboy titles I have purchased in the last year.

When I get the inclination I dig out a run of an older series or miniseries, eg when Omega The Unknown started I read the original series. Currently in that pile: Xombi, Minx and Chase. I hear that one of these titles is due for a collection this year.

I get them home and wait until later that night.

I then read through the entire pile. Usually all that night, although sometimes I have a few comics left over for the next day.

I organize the stack in a priority pile too. Least interesting to one I'm most interested in, and read them least to most.

This week, X-Men: Noir #2 was my last read of the night.

I volunteer at a writing lab for kids, and usually I work behind the counter of the attached novelty store. It's around the corner from my local comic shop, so I usually pick up my comics on the way in to volunteer and read them while the store is slow.

I get them home and wait until later that night. I then read through the entire pile. Usually all that night, although sometimes I have a few comics left over for the next day.

I organize the stack in a priority pile too. Least interesting to one I'm most interested in, and read them least to most.

You must get a lot of comics!

:laugh: That's so funny, I make a priority pile too only I read the more important (to me) ones first.

I volunteer at a writing lab for kids, and usually I work behind the counter of the attached novelty store. It's around the corner from my local comic shop, so I usually pick up my comics on the way in to volunteer and read them while the store is slow.

Do you ever read any to the yunguns?

I usually pick up about 5 or 6 weeks' comics in one go at lunchtime, and maybe read one on the tube back to work if the carriage isn't too packed.

When I get home I sort out the reading order, making sure I start with a current favourite, then go through them in bunches of 3 or 4 making sure I end each bunch on another favourite. I also space them so that I'm not reading a big run of similar types of titles together.

(The good thing about not picking them up for over a month is that there are usually one or two titles that have 2 consecutive issues to read together)

I usually start reading them late in the evening with a large glass of something alcoholic, after the kids are in bed and all the housework's done, then read them over the next couple of nights. Any trades I have bought get read last.

Last month's reading order:

100 Bullets #97

100 Bullets #98

Batgirl #5

Final Crisis Revelations #4

Hellblazer #249

Batman #681

Final Crisis #5

Ex Machina #39

Authority #5

Daredevil #113

Green Arrow Black Canary #14

Green Arrow Black Canary #15

Do you ever read any to the yunguns?

I would probably be asked not to come back if I did. I'm always afraid a kid is going to grab my copy of Hellblazer or Criminal Macabre and open it to a really gory page and either cry (not good) or yell "WOW! This is cool!" (worse).

When I get home I sort out the reading order, making sure I start with a current favourite, then go through them in bunches of 3 or 4 making sure I end each bunch on another favourite. I also space them so that I'm not reading a big run of similar types of titles together.

That's pretty much what i do too, although i think i did it unconciously, not on purpose. But thinking on it, that's what i've been doing. Usually i read about 3 a night, so I start and end strong and put something i'm less sure of in the middle.

the first time around collecting comics books. i would get mine and read them in the car before work or while on break. Although I would also read them late at night too. In college I would pick them up and smoke a huge bowel and listen to pink floyd....

This last time around of collecting comics I didn't have a car and since it was 2 hr trip to the comic book store and back I would read them on my way back. Although I would stop once we encountered a bad part of town just to look at all the characters on the sidewalk. Unfortunatly the only reason I stopped was due to being chronically sick for over a year and I could'nt handle 2 hrs with not being able to use the restroom.

every wednesday i dispatch an envoy to the comic shoppe a few towns down the interstate. i then assemble a greek chorus to read the various parts aloud while i voraciously tear apart a gourde fruit with my phallus. then i swallow a container of pills and twitch til the paramedics get here. they carefully staple each issue to the webbings between my fingers and i bark like a seal for twelve hours or until shot at.

I download 5-9 comic books on Thursday afternoon and read around 4 of them over the weekend. Leaving the rest to when I'm suposed to do something else like study.

I usually read certain comic books at cetain times. Hellbazer at night, 100 Bullets in the evening and so on. Usually with a cuppa and a meatball sub.

I get mine delivered by post since I live in the sticks and the nearest city doesn't even have a comic store. This is England and I'm not sure we do comics - well, not round here anyway.

Always read Daredevil first - my favourite.

Then no particular reading order - likely Astonishing X-Men next.

Always read Hellblazer last... because I have been finding it hard-going and trite lately. In fact I cancelled my subscription after #250! :blush: And swapped it in for Dark Avengers. We'll see if I regret it.

Dark Avengers, eh? Yeah....you might just regret that.

Not even because it's a trade-in for Hellblazer, but just because it's Dark Avengers.

You should've given Hellblazer a few more months though. There's a new writer beginning this month.

You should check out some of Peter Milligan's older work. He used to be one of the best. Will we see that old Milligan on Hellblazer? I don't know. But, it's worth your time to read some Milligan.

Dark Avengers, eh? Yeah....you might just regret that.

Not even because it's a trade-in for Hellblazer, but just because it's Dark Avengers.

Happy New Year Christian.

Oh well, I can always drop it. Liked the cover and what is it about that Venom get-up?

The Hellblazer thing, I have been giving it another few months for a while now and it's just not happening for me any more. It needs more regular characters aside from John and Chas. I think that is what is lacking for me - no relationship dynamics.

What's the opinion on Thor?

I do read Mighty Avengers. Dan Slott just took over as writer, and he's a really fun writer. I paged through the new issue I bought today, and it seems to have a lot of Marvel continuity. Good for me, but might leave a lot of readers lost. I'd have to read it to see how dense on continuity it is though.

Well, Milligan is introducing a new girlfriend for John.

I really like Thor. The 600th issue is coming up within a few weeks.

I believe that the current writer is leaving the book after #600 (but am not positive). The current writer has impressed me so much on Thor, but then it'd be a matter of seeing what a new creator would bring to the book.

So, it might be a wait and see book at this moment.

I really like Thor. The 600th issue is coming up within a few weeks.

I believe that the current writer is leaving the book after #600 (but am not positive). The current writer has impressed me so much on Thor, but then it'd be a matter of seeing what a new creator would bring to the book.

So, it might be a wait and see book at this moment.

Do us a favour and shout me a message as this approaches. In case I miss a bulletin. Nice to move in at the right moment.