WOLVERINE: THE ANNIVERSARY

WOLVERINE: FIRST CLASS #14

WOLVERINE MAGAZINE #1

WOLVERINE NOIR #1 (of 4)

WOLVERINE: ORIGINS #35

WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #1

WOLVERINE: WEAPON X FILES

X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE #1

i just watched wolverine vs hulk. it was silly but better than most of the recent marvel animated releases.

See also: a whole slew of WOLVERINE INCENTIVE ART VARIANT covers, also in April.

I hate comics.

I have no idea what Marvel is thinking. Neither do they, honestly.

They've been releasing a whole slew of random Wolverine one-shots for months now. The Wolverine character reached saturation point by the late-90s. Are the sales on these random one-shots actually that good to warrant this?

There's the movie coming out and Marvel want to market that as much as possible, but three ongoing Wolverine titles (four if you count Wolverine: First Class) is insane. Add to that all the other Wolverine stories....

Add these regular appearances:

New Avengers

Uncanny X-Men

Astonshing X-Men

X-Force

X-Men Legacy

Dark Avengers (sort of, since it will be his son in dad's old brown suit)

How many teams can one guy belong to?

Also, I saw somewhere there will be a new book Fantastic Force staring the New Defenders from the recent Fantastic Four arc. So there's another Wolverine appearance; him being the Hooded Man from the far future.

Just imagine how bad it will get the closer we get to the movie. May, right? I bet every Marvel book has a Wolverine appearance around that time.

Not for me.

Like most comic readers I'm pretty much sick of seeing Wolverine

BUT

the current Millar-penned Wolverine (starts with #66) is actually damned entertaining and features some absolutely awesome art from Steve McNiven.

Other than that I wish Marvel would scale him back to one solo book and one team book.

Enjoy April :

RAMPAGING WOLVERINE #1

WOLVERINE #72

WOLVERINE: THE ANNIVERSARY

WOLVERINE: FIRST CLASS #14

WOLVERINE MAGAZINE #1

WOLVERINE NOIR #1 (of 4)

WOLVERINE: ORIGINS #35

WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #1

WOLVERINE: WEAPON X FILES

X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE #1

The movie is out May 1st.

A Wolverine fan? Sure......when I was 10 years old and didn't know any better.

Wolverine success plan: ONE solo book, leaning slightly towards more mature audiences, utilizing regular story arcs and occasional tales of Logan's past. & ONE team book, serving as a sort all audiences form. I don't care if it Avengers or X-Men or X-Force. JUST ONE! Lastly, zero; mini-series, tie-ins, covers, and keep the guest appearances down to a bare minimum.

How did this get dug up?

This should be titled "Any (insert Marvel movie coming up at the time) Fans?".

How many Iron Man books, Deadpool books did we see?

Thor books?

Capt. America books, soon?

It's ridiculous Marvel. You're destroying your characters.

Thor:The Mighty Avenger probably could've been a success, if they weren't putting out 50 Thor titles each month!

Now, Wolverine was awesome when his first solo series first came out.

Check out Essential Wolverine vol. 1 to see Wolverine when he was actually cool.

You are, as usual, 100% correct Christian.

I get that Marvel wants to pimp....er....promote a character ahead of a movie. It's just good business. However, there's a difference between promoting and saturating; which Marvel has not figure out.

It should be more "Hey there's a Thor movie coming out! So, want to see what he's all about? Great! Check out him out monthly in 'Thor' and 'Avengers' before seeing the movie." We don't need like you said a dozen or so books of the same character(s).

And dammit I miss Thor: The Mighty Avenger already! It was a great all ages, easily accessible fun superhero starring our favorite Thunder God, serving as a balance to the mainstream Thor book

Also, looking at from another angel; it seems if there is a property that Hollywood is NOT interested in then Marvel doesn't seem to want to promote/support that book*. No matter the quality of the book or the rave reviews it receives.

Examples:

Capt. Britain & MI-13

Guardians of the Galaxy

Moon Knight

Nova

Brother Voodoo (see Bendis wanted Strange, so he got him, and had to kill Voodoo)

Ghost Rider (although with GH2 coming.....)

Alpha Flight

Incredible Hercules

*unless of course Bendis, Brubaker, Fraction write it or like the character

Well, that is Marvel's raison d'etre in recent years.

They're mainly interested in marketable franchises, not in comic books, per se.

Comics are just the means to the ends...characters, movies.

Movies are the big bucks that Marvel craves the most, then they can get toys, video games, T-shirts, etc.

Marvel just happens to be extremely greedy also, so instead of letting the comics exist, Marvel is pushing to raise their entire line to $3.99 while DC is promising to hold the line at $2.99 for 2011. Marvel is flooding the market with books without any thought behind the books, because if they can milk a few extra $3.99 cover prices for a few months, so much the better.

(Not to mention raising the price on Essential books to $19.99 when the books cost hardly anything to produce.)

The fact is that Marvel could easily manage their line and not worry about making a huge profit on the comics, since they're making a majority of their money off of the movies and the merchanidising which comes from blockbusters, but that's not how Marvel's being run.

I think there's going to come a time when Marvel really pays the price for mishandling their characters in this way. The movie smorgasbord won't last forever, for one thing. But, also, there's the question of how long an over-saturated market can sustain handling so many comic titles being released each month at $3.99 an issue.

DC might just mop up the floor with Marvel by playing it safe instead of trying to bleed the public dry while superheroes are nominally "hot" again.

DC is far from perfect in all this, but they're not acting like freakin' Scrooge at least.