JohnMcMahon

No Hellblazer for April 09 ?

Finally canceled.

They give the book to Milligan for three months and then cancel it.

That's usually J.M. DeMatteis' luck actually. A book has low sales, they give the title to him, he makes it interesting again, then they cancel it within 6 months. That's happened a number of times with him. If a company gives a title a new creative team, they should really give it a chance before canceling it based on the old creative teams' sales figures.

It's probably just shipping late. They did that one month with Andy Diggle's run, skipped a month.

Maybe Milligan or the artist knew they were going to be running behind, so DC gave them a month to catch up. It happens.

That's a bit harsh, isn't it. I haven't noticed lateness being a big problem for Hellblazer yet.

Diggle missed a fair few deadlines, but that was all on him, and he mea-culpaed. Beyond that, I have no idea what johnconstantineoftheenormoussig is going on about.

The bit about Murphy is, presumably, only there because jcotes hates his work. Nothing to do with scheduling.

Christian could be onto something as Milligan has a bit of a knack for jumping onto sinking ships.

It's most likely just skipping a month though: Madame Xanadu's just done that as well.

Diggle missed a fair few deadlines, but that was all on him, and he mea-culpaed. Beyond that, I have no idea what johnconstantineoftheenormoussig is going on about.

The bit about Murphy is, presumably, only there because jcotes hates his work. Nothing to do with scheduling.

If you notice I changed my sig for a smaller one. I indeed hate Murphy´s work, specially his future HB arc but it´s happening constantly and it´s boring, if it had artist like Hitch, McNiven or Jones I agree with the delay but Murphy and Cornucoli, give me a break.

That's a bit harsh, isn't it. I haven't noticed lateness being a big problem for Hellblazer yet.

Could be but Marvel and DC have to respect readers and stop this delay thing, so in HB case we have two months and one not, I really don´t see the point.

But why are you assuming that the delays have anything to do with the artist? Since the delay, assuming that's what it is, is apparently being announced so many months in advance - and that we've seen enough preview pages from Murphy's upcoming story to strongly suggest that he isn't languishing way behind schedule - I can't see what, beyond your personal prejudice (and seriously...Hitch and McNiven? You really think those guys would be well-suited to Hellblazer?) would make you bring up the subject in the first place.

Are delays like this really happening "constantly", anyway? I mean on Hellblazer specifically, not in comics generally (on which subject, I completely agree with your frustration). It regularly slipped a few weeks behind schedule during Diggle's run, but I don't recall any significant delays during the several years preceding that, and even with Diggle's lateness, I don't recall the book skipping a full month at any point - the only really sizeable gap was filled with Aaron's two-issue fill-in arc.

I hadn't noticed the change in your sig, since I have the image adblocked on my home computer. Logging into the forum at work, it still seemed a bit on the excessive side, but if I'm alone in that I'll happily shut up about it, and apologize for bringing it up again in the first place.

I think it skipped once under Azzarello, then again when he left at quite short notice and once under Carey.

Hardly frequent, and judging by the rate of appearance on Murphy's website I would doubt it's to do with his work.

I don't think the first thing we will know about a cancellation of Hellblazer will be the Diamond solicitations.

Well, I'm not even remotely convinced yet that there's a cancellation, a gap or even much of a delay. I saw the notice on Vertigo for the March issue on the 5th of this month, that's just over 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't really expect them to post up anything for at least another week. So far this seems like a lot of fuss about nothing and obviously I really hope it is, life is hard enough without having to go cold turkey on Hellblazer!

Well, I'm not even remotely convinced yet that there's a cancellation

Is anyone?

heh, We should've known the most likely answer was John McMahon missing it while reading a list. he he

This doesn't happen a great deal, and Milligan has only just took over the book. We would need more time to see if Milligan was going to regularly miss deadlines (it's not like Grant Morrison putting out two issues of Authority in a year and then deciding to forget he was working on the book). If it takes a little extra time to get a quality book, I would rather have that then having a modern-day Brian Bendis churning out 10 books a month by cutting every corner possible.

[qoute]But why are you assuming that the delays have anything to do with the artist? Since the delay, assuming that's what it is, is apparently being announced so many months in advance - and that we've seen enough preview pages from Murphy's upcoming story to strongly suggest that he isn't languishing way behind schedule - I can't see what, beyond your personal prejudice (and seriously...Hitch and McNiven? You really think those guys would be well-suited to Hellblazer?) would make you bring up the subject in the first place.

He could do the art in advantage but would it suit the already made schedule? Most of time artists are responsible for the delay, other the writer but the artist is always responsible. I used Mcneven and Hitch names to demonstrate that at some points, delays are worth because of the high quality of art and not tat they are names for HB, I would wait for as long as it that to see Hitch or McNiven or Manco art instead of waiting for Cornucolla or Murphy´s art, that what I meant with my statement and Indeed I have a prejudice with Murphy art, specially if he can do pants fits in characters, they are always smaller than usual.

Are delays like this really happening "constantly", anyway? I mean on Hellblazer specifically, not in comics generally (on which subject, I completely agree with your frustration). It regularly slipped a few weeks behind schedule during Diggle's run, but I don't recall any significant delays during the several years preceding that, and even with Diggle's lateness, I don't recall the book skipping a full month at any point - the only really sizeable gap was filled with Aaron's two-issue fill-in arc.

It never happened to HB before and Diggle´s run had that but I didn´t care because it wasn´t a regular thing.

I hadn't noticed the change in your sig, since I have the image adblocked on my home computer. Logging into the forum at work, it still seemed a bit on the excessive side, but if I'm alone in that I'll happily shut up about it, and apologize for bringing it up again in the first place.

I quite agree with you about the size, that´s why I changed and I only pointed that only as a joke, I know you comment was a joke as well.

heh, We should've known the most likely answer was John McMahon missing it while reading a list. he he

:witchhunt:

It wasn't on either Newsarama or CBR, so the fault obviously lies with DC. Obviously.

:blush:

Anyway, topical solit, if nothign else.

While I'm here, this is a much more bearable sig size, Mister Constantine :

DeadLikeMe2_resize.jpg

The problem in general with these "uber-archs" is that you can't put a filler issue in the middle of a 6 part story to give the writer/artist catchup time.

I think it skipped once under Azzarello, then again when he left at quite short notice and once under Carey.

Hardly frequent, and judging by the rate of appearance on Murphy's website I would doubt it's to do with his work.

I don't think the first thing we will know about a cancellation of Hellblazer will be the Diamond solicitations.

I remember getting one of the Azzarello issues that didn't come out in july of '02. #173 (June 2002) and issue 174(August 2002).

With Carey's run, there wasn't issue coming out in November at all. #176 (October 2002) and part one of Red Sepulchre #177 (December 2002).

Yes, who remembers the single issue one off filler in Denise Mina's run ?

I'm thinking more of stories One Offs by different writers than the main one. Issues that can be inserted in a run to give the normal writer and artist a little time. I remember Delano's run having a few that were quite good. It's just that the way comics are put out today those things really can't happen, or at least not as easily.

There was that two-parter by Jason Aaron just a few months back, in the middle of Diggle's run.

Hellblazer has usually had a one-off or two-parter "filler" story in between main writers.

As far as the "fill-in" stories during writers' run on Hellblazer, the quality has varied. Obviously having two of the top names in all of comics in Gaiman (during his prime, no less) and Morrison in the middle of Delano's run worked very well, but the Dick Foreman filler issue (a true definition of filler) wasn't at the same level. Then, there was John Smith during Ennis' run, which was probably the best work on Hellblazer during the entirety of Ennis' run (sorry Ennis Hellblazer fans, but you have to admit that Smith issue was damn fine, the best one-off type story from Hellblazer, and our poll here said the same). Finally, Aaron's two-parter left a lot to be desired. I believe those are the only "filler" stories written by a different writer for Hellblazer.

Yes, who remembers the single issue one off filler in Denise Mina's run ?

I'm thinking more of stories One Offs by different writers than the main one. Issues that can be inserted in a run to give the normal writer and artist a little time. I remember Delano's run having a few that were quite good. It's just that the way comics are put out today those things really can't happen, or at least not as easily.

Indeed Delano´s had great ones, gaiman and Morrison were my favourite.