JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #251

25 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for #251, please....

Hellblazer #251

Written by Peter Milligan

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli & Stefano Landini

Cover by Lee Bermejo

hb251.jpg

Vertigo welcomes back one of its most popular and prolific scribes to pilot our longest-running title! Joining series artist Leonardo Manco, writer Peter Milligan (BATMAN, HUMAN TARGET, X-Statix) begins raising hell as John Constantine digs his fingers deep into his bumpy past. He discovers that old wounds and new loves are both best left untouched in part 1 of the the storyarc “Scab.”

Fudge, I wrote a review and it didn't go through. But anyways, I gave it a 6.

I've never read anything by Milligan. Only read reviews of his work and I didn't get to read last month's issue. So far it's obviously all setup with no answers as of it. I felt the pacing was well done and I am darn curious on where this story will go. I have no idea where else it will go so points there. Nothing great or bad, this issue is just... there.

Artwise, didn't do much for it nor did I disliked it. All I know is I'm gonna surely miss Manco.

I really enjoyed that. Nothing revolutionary but very refreshing coming off the back of Diggle's last storyline.

I haven't read as much Milligan as I'd like (some Shade and some superhero stuff and it was certainly far superior to the latter) but he does a fine job on this. It's well-written and well-paced, and the horror elements towards the end were nicely handled. I'm not sure about Phoebe yet, she seems a bit too perfect. Julian is very cool.

I really think Landini adds a lot to Camuncoli's art, but so does the new colourist who I hope sticks around for a while. I don't usually notice these things but the change is really quite striking. A definite thumbs up in that department - it helps give the comic a significantly different and more modern feel which should be enhanced even more when Sean Murphy comes onboard again.

An 8/10, I think. Very optimistic about what's to come (but then I'm easy to please with Hellblazer).

Not bad, but could've been a better start. I guess that's just the nature of starting off with a multi-part story-arc.

Well, I really like slice-of-life stories, so it's more the mix of quiet moments with the larger plot looming throughout that gives it a less than satisfying read.

I really like the characterization of John. His reaction to "the scab" was priceless. The "working class" in John was brought out probably the strongest since Delano's days, well, maybe....John's description of the flat he's looking after was reminiscent of "Sundays are Different", I thought. I like the inner sadness being brought out in John again, that longing....it just makes him human.

Some nice crisp dialogue too. "I sucked the Capitalist cock." You knew I'd love that line, eh?

Phoebe. Eh. She's straight out of an indy comic book and into John's life, isn't she?

I'm not in love with the art. Probably won't be agreed with, but it's just too bright for my tastes. Hellblazer should be a drab, bleak, grey world.

Well, truthfully, I enjoyed this far more than anything since the beginning of Diggle's run, and I want to like this, so I'm giving it a hopeful 8 for the nonce, and will see whether it deserves an 8 or if it'll sink next issue.

I've no idea where it's going at the moment, although it seems to be taking

the "darkest moment of your past coming back to haunt you",

and if so, that's been done to death.

So far it's obviously all setup with no answers as of it. I felt the pacing was well done and I am darn curious on where this story will go. I have no idea where else it will go so points there. Nothing great or bad, this issue is just... there.

Did you read the same comic as me? :tongue: I was very happy with this issue, and can't wait for 252. I found much more than setup there — already something nasty and original has happened to John, and someone he cares about is in danger. On top of that we've met a new girlfriend, a cool new character in Julian, and we've seen that John has a new home. Plus he's got a new jacket and is 30 years younger.:smile:

Artwise, didn't do much for it nor did I disliked it.

Same here. I prefer a more realistic style... and maybe more muted colouring. Mind you, we've all been complaining about the former colourist for so long, it seems a bit churlish to say the new colouring is too bright.

I'm not in love with the art. Probably won't be agreed with, but it's just too bright for my tastes. Hellblazer should be a drab, bleak, grey world.

See? biggrin.gif

Phoebe. Eh. She's straight out of an indy comic book and into John's life, isn't she?

:laugh: Agreed, but that sort of thing seems to get the fanboys reading.

Did everyone spot the blunder in Peter Milligan's On The Ledge column in this issue?

(The 2008 Christmas) special was the first time I'd written John Constantine...

He's forgotten about the 3-issue arc in Shade The Changing Man; which is an interesting insight into his approach to the job.

It's grim that utter, utter toss like War Machine has some of the most beautiful artwork ever from Manco whilst Hellblazer is lumbered with some pretty weak fare for the start of a new writer's run.

Yep Jason, I noticed he forgot about that story-arc in Shade.

I mentioned it in the Vertigo thread earlier.

I found it funny.

Ah, OK, so John is 30 years younger. That explains why he's dating Phoebe who is in her mid-late 20s, right?

OK. So that's positively old for John after the 19 year old Angie.

Talk about a clash with that War Machine comic. The art was very nice, but that book is so awful. I don't want to ever be reminded of it again. Manco seemed to be rejuvenated by getting to draw that book too, as it was better than his recent work in Hellblazer.

I think, some quibbles aside, the new artist is fine. It's just the bright colours that bother me. I was never one of those who complained about the browns....It's a horror book, it's supposed to look subdued and depressed.

It's grim that utter, utter toss like War Machine has some of the most beautiful artwork ever from Manco whilst Hellblazer is lumbered with some pretty weak fare for the start of a new writer's run.

I didn't think it was weak, just inappropriate in style. For what it was, it was really well executed. It'd be well suited to some young hip comic. :smile:

I think, some quibbles aside, the new artist is fine. It's just the bright colours that bother me.

That's an interesting point... I wonder how the same art would look with different colouring?

I was never one of those who complained about the browns....It's a horror book, it's supposed to look subdued and depressed.

At the risk of turning this into another quibbling thread, I reckon those of us who didn't like the old colouring weren't complaining about the subdued palette so much as the crappiness of the subdued palette. The sooner they get Dave Stewart colouring every book I read, the better.

OK. So that's positively old for John after the 19 year old Angie.

I'd hit it.

What JasonT said, mostly. A splendid start to Milligan's run.

I liked the art a lot, but then, I've always been fond of Camuncoli's work on Hellblazer, and given how much I've complained about the book being in a rut over the past few years, something "inappropriate in style" is pretty much exactly what I'd been hoping for. I don't think there are many styles of art which would be genuinely inappropriate for Hellblazer, to be honest - I want to see the book break a few rules, redefine the breadth of material it could, theoretically, incorporate. Whether or not this is the best way to go about it remains to be seen, but thus far I appreciate the effort.

That said, while the colouring didn't really bother me, it definitely felt a little garish, compared with the generally dark tone of the story. I can imagine it growing on me, though, depending on how the story progresses.

I'm not in love with the art but the colouring is great.

Camuncoli plus inkings by Landini > than Camuncoli althought it does veer towards Phonogram without music at times.

I cannot be doing with the scab's trendy beard and haircut either.

I am more keen to see Goran Sudzuka on the book.

Otherwise a classic low-key intro to a three parter.

Oh, it reminded me of Cal MacDonald comedy in parts (eg Julian).

That's all about the way Marvel work.

i loved it. this is the highest rating i've given to hellblazer on this here forum. i liked the art. the story was creepy. john seems like he is going to have an interesting girlfriend--an er doctor. it wasn't balldropping badass, but it was a great first burst.

That said, while the colouring didn't really bother me, it definitely felt a little garish, compared with the generally dark tone of the story.

What Mark said. :smile: Fair point about it being time to break a few rules, too.

I am more keen to see Goran Sudzuka on the book.

Word.

I enjoyed it. Nothing too brilliant, but not shoddy by a long ways.

You never really can tell what a run will be like from the first issue though, can you?

I really enjoyed that. There was almost an effortless ability there by Milligan. He quickly set up the thing that's gonna collide with John, wrote in our first Constantine scene the state of John in Milligan's run and then rapidly fucked with it (all while showing us the relationship with John and Phoebe).

I like John's mellowness. This isn't the first time weird shit's happened so he's not that worried. Yet.

This just makes it all the more awful that the creepy shit goes after Phoebe (and being chased around by your aborted foetus is pretty awful). This was a good slowburn opener that showed a real confidence without having to resort to: PANEL 1...John is just about to try and jump over a shark.

9. He loses the one point for not remembering that he'd already written John in Shade the Changing Man :icon_rolleyes:

Very nice opening salvo from Mr. Milligan and the art didn't bother me at all (felt like a breath of fresh air, but that probably won't last long).

Very nice opening salvo from Mr. Milligan and the art didn't bother me at all (felt like a breath of fresh air, but that probably won't last long).

Coralys?

Do mine eyes decieve me?

Anyway I'm not down with the art, and it personally could have opened stronger (IMHO Diggle opened far stronger), but I'm in.

That said, while the colouring didn't really bother me, it definitely felt a little garish, compared with the generally dark tone of the story. I can imagine it growing on me, though, depending on how the story progresses.

Yeah...so I really don't know what I was babbling on about here. I had another glance through the book, and the colouring is actually rather splendid.

That must be it. It's been so long since I saw orange, I'd almost forgotten what it looked like, let alone how much I'd missed it.

The Lee Loughridge Rainbow:

(singing to the tune of "I can sing the rainbow")

Brown and light brown and beige and tan,

Umber, sienna and mud.

Best issue for almost ever. Really.

Why has it taken over twenty years for this happen and why does he only have a year's worth of stories????

He had more, but he forgot about them. :smile:

emot-rimshot.gif

Ha! Legend.

Don't worry. I've read a preview of a Milligan On the Ledge interview for the end of this year where he mentions he is looking forward to writing Hellblazer for the first time and is then hoping to resurrect a character called 'Shade' who he reckons the last writer trashed :tongue:

Love ya, Milligan ya big ol' nutter. Does anyone have a .jpg of his Laurence of Arabia shot?